Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My teacher getting married.. Need pointers!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    As far as monetary benefits are concerned, my teacher actually did tell me he would give me money for it but I declined, saying that its the experience that I wanted, not the money. Until I get better and see how things work, I'd take the back seat - help and watch and learn.
    No, you need to do more than that. Talk with the main photographer if you have the chance, seek, ask and learn. Watching only lets you understand a bit. Of course try not to disrupt the main photographer's attention when conversing...

She cried with happiness! I was shocked. So now everybody seems to say that I can do this wedding very well so its not really the pressure from my teacher (a bit of it would be a better choice of words) but from my friends...
    That's because your body is big and lenses are white.

But seriously, a 70-200 IS saved my day 2 days ago, more of the IS and 2.8. (think it was stopped down to 3.2 or something). 50-500 put tripod also cannot. Shooting from a platform.

Take the opportunity to learn from the seasoned pros (somemore ang moh NY, me only asian SK ). They are usually more than willing to share with you or ask you to shadow them. Then you will know what to take and what not to take lor.

PS. The birds are waiting for you.

Wai... I just got the cost for the photographer... US$1700! That's a lot of money to me... Dunno about you guys...

I'm gonna have a chat with that NY photographer to get some tips from him.

It's true I shouldn't be stressed out about this but its just that I made a really nice portrait of one of my other teachers and her son and I printed a 12x18 photo for her. She cried with happiness! I was shocked. So now everybody seems to say that I can do this wedding very well so its not really the pressure from my teacher (a bit of it would be a better choice of words) but from my friends... The whole school knows about it and they seem to be expecting lots from me...

Talk about peer pressure...
    i simplify for you lar...

there are two kinds of pple, those that crumble under pressure, and those that HARDEN under pressure.

u challenge yourself, take on the pressure, and deliver the results. then u know how good it'll feel. better than sex most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    i simplify for you lar...

there are two kinds of pple, those that crumble under pressure, and those that HARDEN under pressure.

u challenge yourself, take on the pressure, and deliver the results. then u know how good it'll feel. better than sex most of the time.
    Haha!!!

Well, since the whole school is going to see the photos I know I MUST deliver. I have received a few shooting requests in these few weeks because everybody knows I'm the offical school photographer and they expect me to produce results. I just got a request to shoot for a small fashion company ran by the parents of one of my classmates! I want to gain as much experience as possible in photography so that it not only brings enjoyment to me, but to the people I shoot for, and in this case my teacher!

I think this wedding will be rather informal and will be held throughout the day at a resort in Ko Samet. More details later... have to ask teacher on Monday... I know I cannot do studio type shots so mostly will be candid shots I guess... I just need pointers on what to look out for?

Cheers guys, you've been a helpful bunch. Will post a few pictures when its done.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Cool

Go for emotions of couple, parents, close relatives and best of all kids. All kinds of emotions.
    Go for details: shoes, flowers, jewelry, design of grown, nice tini wini wedding stuff, hands etc. Do be shy to move some objects around to create an artisitc image. The bride would love you for these things.
    Go for unusual perspective: if you have a fisheye. even better! Can see how fisheye can create some interesting exaggeration. see my webpage: www.hisphotos.com. under weddings. Look out for unconventional angles and point of view. Lie down on floor if you have to.

Best of all have fun!!

I'll give you a piece of advice, you really don't need the 70-200 unless there's a church ceremony. Even so you can always just quitely walk instead of zoom. Just because its a great lens doesn't mean it'll help you get better wedding shots. Save yourself the extra weight and throw in a macro lens like the 50mm F2.8 macro EF instead, that way you can also do away with the 50 F1.8. The macro lens will come in useful in many instances through the day. I would also use a midrange F2.8 zoom like the 24-70L. The 24mm on your MkII is very usable and it can almost be your do-everything lens for the day (save for group shots). Don't zoom just because you can, but rather zoom to frame your subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by thoa_rs
    I'll give you a piece of advice, you really don't need the 70-200 unless there's a church ceremony. Even so you can always just quitely walk instead of zoom. Just because its a great lens doesn't mean it'll help you get better wedding shots. Save yourself the extra weight and throw in a macro lens like the 50mm F2.8 macro EF instead, that way you can also do away with the 50 F1.8. The macro lens will come in useful in many instances through the day. I would also use a midrange F2.8 zoom like the 24-70L. The 24mm on your MkII is very usable and it can almost be your do-everything lens for the day (save for group shots). Don't zoom just because you can, but rather zoom to frame your subjects.
    Thanks for the advice...

By the way, you have a 24-70L to spare?
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

i tink no one really answered ya question on wat a backup is supposed to do....so here's it from my point of view.........

Basically it depends on wat type of wedding is being held? traditional chinese?? church....everyone is different....

as a backup u try to take the photos that the main photog will not take....
    e.g. in a church, when the couple is exchanging rings, the main photog will definately concentrate on the couple themselves...u on the other hand should be looking out for something like the tears in the mother's eyes etc....

during a wedding dinner, its good to know the procedure too....like the couple would go ard taking photos after the 3rd dish in a chinese wedding, u may want to walk ard taking photos of the guests interacting with one another when the main photog is taking the "table shots"

its best to speak to the main photog alittle before hand, for him to acknowldege ya presence, and to find out roughly wat his style is so u dun clash with him....

there's no standard to wat lens to use specifically, there's a lens for every situation, but its true that during weddings most photog will use short zooms, for me i use a 28-80....

a backup is important as he's normally a friend, ya photos can add that extra touch to the wedding...

cheers!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12