Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Eh , since everyone is talking abt money.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    225

    Exclamation Eh , since everyone is talking abt money.

    jus curious.. it seems alot of ppl are annoyed abt undercutting and newbies or freelancers charging too cheaply for their services. can anyone tell me what should be the going rate for paid assignments? like well i've so far onli done one paid assignment and that was a fluke, the price that was paid i mean.

    so how?
    for example say a full day wedding . how much should i ask for in payment? do i usually need to justify my price tot he customer? as in give them a break down of what things cost therefore i charge x amount?

    then i was reading through the forum and i realise that $charging 500 for a wedding seems too low for some, i dunno, i'm a newbie so dun flame me when i say, seems reasonable if the couple onli wants digital images, like burn on to cd then they choose themselves wat to print, or does the package include printing the pictures for the couple?

    rite now i'm kinda confused by the price that one should charge, my last assignment was 2k minus the pictures. That i knoe is a fluke.. who da hell would pay a newbie that much?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    as the usual : Charge whatever you are comfortable with. Leave the rest to the market

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    1. Calculate the total time needed to do the shoot on the actual day, the travelling costs, the time needed to do post processing, burning to CD, slotting into album, get to the lab (probably twice), etc. Assign yourself a cost/hour which you are comfortable with.

    2. Calculate the total material and other miscellanous cost.

    Add this two together and quote this. You may give some discount or do some rounding for a nicer figure.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malakite
    ....my last assignment was 2k minus the pictures. That i knoe is a fluke.. who da hell would pay a newbie that much?
    If the wedded couple was prepared to pay you that much, you should keep charging the rest the same price or more.

    Forget the fact that you're being a newbie, you may have brought a fresh new approach to wedding photography that someone likes.

    Many equate Free = Not so good and Expensive = Good :-)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    ....Add this two together and quote this. You may give some discount or do some rounding for a nicer figure.
    CK,

    So when the total is $820 and I can "round" it up for a nicer $2,500?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    $888 closer and more auspicious

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    1. Calculate the total time needed to do the shoot on the actual day, the travelling costs, the time needed to do post processing, burning to CD, slotting into album, get to the lab (probably twice), etc. Assign yourself a cost/hour which you are comfortable with.

    2. Calculate the total material and other miscellanous cost.

    Add this two together and quote this. You may give some discount or do some rounding for a nicer figure.

    Regards
    CK

    excellent! Many thanks Ckiang, at least this way... i would knoe how to charge fairly, meaning i'm not undercutting my elf nor am i over charging other ppl... Thanks again

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    CK,

    So when the total is $820 and I can "round" it up for a nicer $2,500?


    no la $8,888 is nicer!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    CK,

    So when the total is $820 and I can "round" it up for a nicer $2,500?
    Nice try sion.

    That'd be lovely of coz. Best part is, you don't have to break down all the costs to your client.

    Regards
    CK

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •