Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Lens do i required...

  1. #1

    Default Lens do i required...

    Hello all,

    I'am just starting to love taking pictures especially a unique scenery and my questions is I only have a basic lens Canon 550D 18-55 any feedback?

    Much appreciate!

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Hi, welcome to CS. 18-55 is a good lens. With proper skills & techniques, you can also create stunning images


    For a start, you can try browsing Flickr to see the images taken using 18-55: http://www.flickr.com/groups/18-55canon/
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 7th August 2011 at 09:03 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    I also started off with 550d+kit lens and so far I only brought a Canon 50mm f1.8. Don't let that stop you from shooting good photos though. I think having limited lens can really force you to be good in photography rather than relying on good lenses to do the work.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by nd235 View Post
    Hello all,

    I'am just starting to love taking pictures especially a unique scenery and my questions is I only have a basic lens Canon 550D 18-55 any feedback?

    Much appreciate!
    It is definitely enough. It is a basic lens but it can do wonders in the right hands.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    the best thing you can do is to use your current kit lens and learn the basics first.

    1) exposure: ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture settings and how they affect the image
    2) how focal length changes the perspective of your image (if you want to do landscapes)... and also about Depth of Field and Angle of View

    don't buy just because the salesman says you need this and that. learn first before making your next purchase. else later, you'll end up with many things you don't use.

    also, buy a good tripod (manfrotto, gitzo for the rich... vanguard, sirui, benro for the financially challenged ), bag (able to carry your current set up and some other stuff and also for future lenses/accessories that you might need).

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    also, buy a good tripod (manfrotto, gitzo for the rich... vanguard, sirui, benro for the financially challenged ), bag (able to carry your current set up and some other stuff and also for future lenses/accessories that you might need).
    For the financially challenged, I think the bean bag is even more economical (can DIY) Just need to find a platform
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by nd235 View Post
    Hello all,

    I'am just starting to love taking pictures especially a unique scenery and my questions is I only have a basic lens Canon 550D 18-55 any feedback?

    Much appreciate!
    As advised by bros here, the 18-55mm should satisfy your needs. Just in case you are affected by the BBB virus like I do, you can consider getting an Ultra Wide Angle lens like the Canon 10-22mm for dramatic landscape and architectural shots
    Canon EOS 600D | BBB virus carrier

  8. #8

    Default

    Kit lens is good enough. Learn to use it first.

    If u still haven't get a tripod, this is the next impt thing u shld get, rather than another lens.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    It is definitely enough. It is a basic lens but it can do wonders in the right hands.
    Many thanks indeed for the feedback.

    Cheers!

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    You need a pair of good eyes, skills and the right tools.
    The camera you have now is good enough, upgrade yourself will have more significant effects than upgrade camera and lenses.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Be true to yourself. Do u really need more lenses? Do you need more than what you have to shoot what you want?

    If you feel you need something more consistently say during your shoot, then perhaps you really need something more.

    For many TS, they usually ask "If I need...", "Do u all think i need...", gives me a sign they dont know what they need and are falling for the BBB virus. (Not to say you are one of them)

    I like landscape, hence invest in UWA and FE(For more drama effect and fun random shots). Experience when I am shooting and realised that I found my 17-50mm is too tight hence decided to dump in my $$$ to buy the lenses.

    My advice is to shoot more and buy more, only if you need. :>
    I need to shoot more!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titus1984
    Be true to yourself. Do u really need more lenses? Do you need more than what you have to shoot what you want?

    If you feel you need something more consistently say during your shoot, then perhaps you really need something more.

    For many TS, they usually ask "If I need...", "Do u all think i need...", gives me a sign they dont know what they need and are falling for the BBB virus. (Not to say you are one of them)

    I like landscape, hence invest in UWA and FE(For more drama effect and fun random shots). Experience when I am shooting and realised that I found my 17-50mm is too tight hence decided to dump in my $$$ to buy the lenses.

    My advice is to shoot more and buy more, only if you need. :>



    Titus 1984,


    Thank you so much for the advised!


    Cheers!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon

    As advised by bros here, the 18-55mm should satisfy your needs. Just in case you are affected by the BBB virus like I do, you can consider getting an Ultra Wide Angle lens like the Canon 10-22mm for dramatic landscape and architectural shots


    Tucksoon,


    Thank you for the tips!


    Cheers.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    the best thing you can do is to use your current kit lens and learn the basics first.

    1) exposure: ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture settings and how they affect the image
    2) how focal length changes the perspective of your image (if you want to do landscapes)... and also about Depth of Field and Angle of View

    don't buy just because the salesman says you need this and that. learn first before making your next purchase. else later, you'll end up with many things you don't use.

    also, buy a good tripod (manfrotto, gitzo for the rich... vanguard, sirui, benro for the financially challenged ), bag (able to carry your current set up and some other stuff and also for future lenses/accessories that you might need).
    Kei1309,


    Thank you so much for the tips!


    Cheers!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krw83
    I also started off with 550d+kit lens and so far I only brought a Canon 50mm f1.8. Don't let that stop you from shooting good photos though. I think having limited lens can really force you to be good in photography rather than relying on good lenses to do the work.
    Krw83,


    Thank you so much for the tips!


    Cheers!

  16. #16
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by nd235 View Post
    Hello all,

    I'am just starting to love taking pictures especially a unique scenery and my questions is I only have a basic lens Canon 550D 18-55 any feedback?

    Much appreciate!
    You can start with it first, and then base your feel on what you feel the 18-55 is lacking in, then proceed on from there.

    Some people will say, "Hey, grab a UWA you can't go wrong"; in which case I have met a lot of people who didn't like UWA perspective. Frankly speaking, everyone is different, you should explore this photographic journey based on what your needs are, not what Tom, Dick or Harry share with you..

    To be very honest, a lot of focal lengths can be used for landscapes, from 10mm to 300mm to 500mm, but everyone has their own preferences for the type of perspective they like.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

    You can start with it first, and then base your feel on what you feel the 18-55 is lacking in, then proceed on from there.

    Some people will say, "Hey, grab a UWA you can't go wrong"; in which case I have met a lot of people who didn't like UWA perspective. Frankly speaking, everyone is different, you should explore this photographic journey based on what your needs are, not what Tom, Dick or Harry share with you..

    To be very honest, a lot of focal lengths can be used for landscapes, from 10mm to 300mm to 500mm, but everyone has their own preferences for the type of perspective they like.
    edutilos,


    Thank you for shared!


    Cheers.

  18. #18

    Default

    I've a 18-135 now, it's the kit lens. Im thinking, if I upgrade in the future, is getting the 24-105L kinda stupid? Cos I lose range n aperture stays at 4 only. Looking for a better walk ard Lens for my 550D. But I will be upgrading to FF in the future, so I'd rather not get a efs lens.
    ‎"Every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer"
    -Stewie Griffin

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by Valvalzxc View Post
    I've a 18-135 now, it's the kit lens. Im thinking, if I upgrade in the future, is getting the 24-105L kinda stupid? Cos I lose range n aperture stays at 4 only. Looking for a better walk ard Lens for my 550D. But I will be upgrading to FF in the future, so I'd rather not get a efs lens.
    I can only say, if you find nothing wrong with current equipment, there is no point in upgrading lens/body etc. The lens you want will depends on what focal length you like to use..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #20

    Default Re: Lens do i required...

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I can only say, if you find nothing wrong with current equipment, there is no point in upgrading lens/body etc. The lens you want will depends on what focal length you like to use..
    Having to shoot moving people (my friends) at night/in shopping malls is so hard! getting the ISO up makes images noisy, thus i dont allow myself to shoot above iso 1600. my 50mm 1.8 auto-focuses v slowly, till an extent where i cant get the shot. HELP. :<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •