Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: How should an amateur photographer charge?

  1. #41

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    this is not worst yet, look at this:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...pher?p=7415260

    Looks like Clubsnap is a hunting ground for cheapo photographers now.
    This one champion.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  2. #42
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    This one champion.
    yeah and i cannot resist to go in make some comments.

  3. #43

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    yeah and i cannot resist to go in make some comments.
    Aiyah bro, relax lah.

    Different people value photography differently. Some choose photographers for months before deciding. Some are willing to sacrifice and let the latest guy-with-new-camera test and learn photography on their big day.

    Some don't give a sh*t but their parents or elder brother/sister who made the same mistake insist they book a good photographer.

    Some just have no budget, shotgun wedding at young age, got bigger monetary concerns than photography.

    We should aim for the good clients, give them the best efforts and best work, and in that we may be rewarded both in monetary payment and in artistic/spiritual satisfaction.

    I can only say they will get what they paid for.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  4. #44
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Aiyah bro, relax lah.

    Different people value photography differently. Some choose photographers for months before deciding. Some are willing to sacrifice and let the latest guy-with-new-camera test and learn photography on their big day.

    Some don't give a sh*t but their parents or elder brother/sister who made the same mistake insist they book a good photographer.

    Some just have no budget, shotgun wedding at young age, got bigger monetary concerns than photography.

    We should aim for the good clients, give them the best efforts and best work, and in that we may be rewarded both in monetary payment and in artistic/spiritual satisfaction.

    I can only say they will get what they paid for.
    haha i already mention in that thread, pay peanuts get monkey but that TS had really break the all time record so far i seen on CS for ROM photography and I dunno which monkey actually want to take up that job. Would love to see the turn out of the ROM photos.
    Last edited by sinned79; 29th August 2011 at 03:50 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Apparently, there are. I feel so sad as it may becomes a precedence for others if the jobs turn up well..

    "I paid $50 for my photographer and look how good he shot for me"..... -_-"
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  6. #46
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Apparently, there are. I feel so sad as it may becomes a precedence for others if the jobs turn up well..

    "I paid $50 for my photographer and look how good he shot for me"..... -_-"
    you need to understand how ones define a good shot is very subjectivity.

    and also each individuals perceive the value of the photograph differently.

    there is no point give more than what a person needs especially he see no value and appreciate on the additional bonus received.


    for an example, somebody need a passport photo, anyone can shoot with a PnS and it is accept by ICA,
    you don't need to use a 1DMKII with L lens, 3 point studio light set up, shoot in RAW and touch up face and hair etc....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #47
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    i kena once before an offer I'll never forget for a full-day wedding, "Out of the goodness of my heart, I will give you S$50 angpow."
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  8. #48
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    i kena once before an offer I'll never forget for a full-day wedding, "Out of the goodness of my heart, I will give you S$50 angpow."
    is that in the 60's? at that time $50 is very big, one plate of Char Kuay Tiao is only 30 cents... one month salary only $300.00..... lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #49
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    ah... the good old days.... unfortunately this was like 3 maybe 4 yrs back. luckily weddings are not my core business but still u can't help but feel annoyed and insulted.
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    haha i already mention in that thread, pay peanuts get monkey but that TS had really break the all time record so far i seen on CS for ROM photography and I dunno which monkey actually want to take up that job. Would love to see the turn out of the ROM photos.
    I agree with you. There are some in this industry trying to spoil market. Sighs.. it really upset me.
    I got client asking me recently how come other photographers charge ROM shoot at $200 for 2hrs, why your price is so steep. =_=""

    And I saw about the $50 shoot, I'm going to faint. lol.
    Last edited by ahpan; 30th August 2011 at 12:57 PM.
    キヤノン 450D + 5D2 + 5D3 + 6D + 富士フイルム XP1 :)

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need to understand how ones define a good shot is very subjectivity.

    and also each individuals perceive the value of the photograph differently.

    there is no point give more than what a person needs especially he see no value and appreciate on the additional bonus received.


    for an example, somebody need a passport photo, anyone can shoot with a PnS and it is accept by ICA,
    you don't need to use a 1DMKII with L lens, 3 point studio light set up, shoot in RAW and touch up face and hair etc....
    I know... But I dun think the expectation from a ROM photographer to be using a point and shoot and give JPEG at the end of day (which is the case I'm refering to).
    If the couple accept this for $50, then I got nothing to say.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  12. #52

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahpan View Post
    I agree with you. There are some in this industry trying to spoil market. Sighs.. it really upset me.
    I got client asking me recently how come other photographers charge ROM shoot at $200 for 2hrs, why your price is so steep. =_=""

    And I saw about the $50 shoot, I'm going to faint. lol.
    You are not the only one.
    If the client asks this, I would think that they never know your work and your styles. What they know or care is $$$ rather than the quality of the photos they are going to receive.
    Ppl like to ask what is the market rate for a wedding photographer but they never ask what is the quality range for the wedding photographers.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  13. #53

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahpan View Post
    I agree with you. There are some in this industry trying to spoil market. Sighs.. it really upset me.
    I got client asking me recently how come other photographers charge ROM shoot at $200 for 2hrs, why your price is so steep. =_=""

    And I saw about the $50 shoot, I'm going to faint. lol.
    To be honest, if majority of your clients are still asking about pricing and trying to get the lowest, you are market yourself in the wrong audience.

    There is always different clients looking for different pricing and it is important to market yourself to the right audience.

    When I was cheaper, I always face with this question as I was in the wrong crowd. I have not heard anyone asking me why I am more expensive now. They simply won't use my service.

    If one don't have work that differentiate oneself with $200 photographer, what justification can potential clients make to use one's service.

    So photographer has to be honest with themselves as in how much they really worth and market their service to the right direction.

    Regards,

    Hart
    Last edited by Agetan; 31st August 2011 at 06:05 PM.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    To be honest, if majority of your clients are still asking about pricing and trying to get the lowest, you are market yourself in the wrong audience.

    There is always different clients looking for different pricing and it is important to market yourself to the right audience.

    When I was cheaper, I always face with this question as I was in the wrong crowd. I have not heard anyone asking me why I am more expensive now. They simply won't use my service.

    If one don't have work that differentiate oneself with $200 photographer, what justification can potential clients make to use one's service.

    So photographer has to be honest with themselves as in how much they really worth and market their service to the right direction.

    Regards,

    Hart
    You are right that it is important to market ourselves to the correct audience and direction.

    Research also needs to be done in order to catch up and set in-line with the rest.

    Anyway so far only 1 asked me that.
    キヤノン 450D + 5D2 + 5D3 + 6D + 富士フイルム XP1 :)

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    You are not the only one.
    If the client asks this, I would think that they never know your work and your styles. What they know or care is $$$ rather than the quality of the photos they are going to receive.
    Ppl like to ask what is the market rate for a wedding photographer but they never ask what is the quality range for the wedding photographers.
    Agree. I don't deny the fact that everyone want it cheap and good.
    I got a feeling that they are usually the ones who are hard to handle because they want it good and cheap and also demand more than the others?

    I think this topic is a never ending debate.
    キヤノン 450D + 5D2 + 5D3 + 6D + 富士フイルム XP1 :)

  16. #56
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    To be honest, if majority of your clients are still asking about pricing and trying to get the lowest, you are market yourself in the wrong audience.

    There is always different clients looking for different pricing and it is important to market yourself to the right audience.

    When I was cheaper, I always face with this question as I was in the wrong crowd. I have not heard anyone asking me why I am more expensive now. They simply won't use my service.

    If one don't have work that differentiate oneself with $200 photographer, what justification can potential clients make to use one's service.

    So photographer has to be honest with themselves as in how much they really worth and market their service to the right direction.

    Regards,

    Hart
    what Hart says is true. there are different segments of the market out there. i used to be in the lower segment where u fight on price and not quality, life was really crappy there. moving yourself into a segment where you fight on quality rather than price is a different ballgame altogether. managed well, it can be rewarding especially with good clients who value your work and service level.
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Hi all . . .

    As DSLR are getting cheaper (or rather people are getting richer, whichever way . . . ), there will be more of freelance photographers who are all out to shoot and gain experience. And definitely more people with DSLR got nothing better to do and don't mind shooting even free. And for that $50 for 2 hours, defintely much better than working in fast food.

    But that does not mean that their shoots are lousy, even if you pay for $500 ROM shoot may not turn out well too.

    To me, the bottom line is not to degrade yourself and the profession; to be paid peanut for a job or even offering free.
    To all giving peanuts and free services, please give and show some respect to the profession and not to degrade yourself or the people here holding the camera who are making a living.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  18. #58

    Default Re: How should an amateur photographer charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    Hi all . . .

    As DSLR are getting cheaper (or rather people are getting richer, whichever way . . . ), there will be more of freelance photographers who are all out to shoot and gain experience. And definitely more people with DSLR got nothing better to do and don't mind shooting even free. And for that $50 for 2 hours, defintely much better than working in fast food.

    But that does not mean that their shoots are lousy, even if you pay for $500 ROM shoot may not turn out well too.

    To me, the bottom line is not to degrade yourself and the profession; to be paid peanut for a job or even offering free.
    To all giving peanuts and free services, please give and show some respect to the profession and not to degrade yourself or the people here holding the camera who are making a living.
    A mildly contradicting post. Actually you are better off working for macdonalds that accepting $25 per hour. You will understand why as you get more experienced and business savvy, or to use a negative expression, as the kidz get more and more hungry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •