Thread: Bhutan

Default Bhutan

Has anyone here been to Bhutan or known anyone who has ever been there?

I'm planning to do a solo travel to Bhutan to experience the culture, the landscapes and especially to photograph my experiences. But, upon writing to the Consul of Bhutan (who is residing in Singapore), and being offered information directing me to the Bhutan Tourism website, I was dismayed to see that there is a "Daily Tariff" for foreign visitors that amount to about US$40 per night.

If I'm heading there to spend 3 weeks, then I'll have to pay US$840 for just being in their country? Can anyone enlighten me on this? It seems ridiculous to pay a foreigner tax for every day that I'm standing on their soil.

Also, I've checked out some sites that are listed as one of the 80 official travel agents from Bhutan from whom I have to book my travel plans, and prices for a 8 to 10 day trek is like US$2200? I'm quite taken aback by the prices. After all, I thought that Bhutan was listed as the poorest country in Asia in a UN socio-political survey report done some time back?

I'll have to read up more... I've ordered the Lonely Planet guide to Bhutan.. I'll have to see what information they may have.

Meanwhile, anyone who knows a tour operator here in Singapore who arranges travel to Bhutan, could you please PM me? Thanks alot guys. I appreciate any help anyone out there can offer.

Afterall, Bhutan is one of the world's last standing shangrila-society. I've read from a recent travelogue that they've already built a shopping centre in one of their main cities. Though the likes of MacDonald's have yet to invade the country, posters of Superman and Incredible Hulk are pretty abundant and I wanna catch a glimpse of the 3rd world countries before they become assimilated into the "global-village"

Quote Originally Posted by JermsDayOut
    Has anyone here been to Bhutan or known anyone who has ever been there?

I'm planning to do a solo travel to Bhutan to experience the culture, the landscapes and especially to photograph my experiences. But, upon writing to the Consul of Bhutan (who is residing in Singapore), and being offered information directing me to the Bhutan Tourism website, I was dismayed to see that there is a "Daily Tariff" for foreign visitors that amount to about US$40 per night.

If I'm heading there to spend 3 weeks, then I'll have to pay US$840 for just being in their country? Can anyone enlighten me on this? It seems ridiculous to pay a foreigner tax for every day that I'm standing on their soil.

Also, I've checked out some sites that are listed as one of the 80 official travel agents from Bhutan from whom I have to book my travel plans, and prices for a 8 to 10 day trek is like US$2200? I'm quite taken aback by the prices. After all, I thought that Bhutan was listed as the poorest country in Asia in a UN socio-political survey report done some time back?

I'll have to read up more... I've ordered the Lonely Planet guide to Bhutan.. I'll have to see what information they may have.

Meanwhile, anyone who knows a tour operator here in Singapore who arranges travel to Bhutan, could you please PM me? Thanks alot guys. I appreciate any help anyone out there can offer.

Afterall, Bhutan is one of the world's last standing shangrila-society. I've read from a recent travelogue that they've already built a shopping centre in one of their main cities. Though the likes of MacDonald's have yet to invade the country, posters of Superman and Incredible Hulk are pretty abundant and I wanna catch a glimpse of the 3rd world countries before they become assimilated into the "global-village"

If you are serious about going to Bhutan, I do know some Rinpoches from there. Maybe I can ask for you?