Thread: Help on Ndp setup

Default Help on Ndp setup

Hi all will be watching actual day Ndp and will be sitting ard the blue zone and was wondering if I should bring my tripod or monopod..any1 tried shooing fireworks with monopod?and I want to shoot fire works on that so would like some tips on bringing my tripod or just monopod.and do u guys recommend me sitting at the corner to shoot.and was wondering if 70-200 is enuf or 75-300.?

Sorry for the lengthly thread
    Canon 5D mk III,Canon f2.8 L USM,Canon 24-70 f2.8 L USM

Default Re: Help on Ndp setup

A search via google or in CS will be much appreciated thou...

but here's a search result: http://www.digital-photography-schoo...raph-fireworks

Same techniques and stuffs applies..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Maybe you should go there now already, bring the cam and 2 lenses, imagine where the fireworks will be (not that it's something entirely new) and aim with your cam. Obvious which lens and focal length will be more useful. Look at the results of firework shoots here in CS, are you sure you can keep a monopod stable for seconds?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by DjSnap View Post
    Hi all will be watching actual day Ndp and will be sitting ard the blue zone and was wondering if I should bring my tripod or monopod..any1 tried shooing fireworks with monopod?and I want to shoot fire works on that so would like some tips on bringing my tripod or just monopod.and do u guys recommend me sitting at the corner to shoot.and was wondering if 70-200 is enuf or 75-300.?

Sorry for the lengthly thread
    Of course you can shoot firework with just your monopod as support, that is, if you can hold your camera steady for very long exposure... most of the time, more than 4 to 8sec.

Plus I would advise you to use wide angle lens rather than telelens for firework, but you might want to use your 70-200mm for your other shots - like performance and aerial shows.

During the rehearsal, I missed my 70-200mm or 300mm lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

i will use my wide angle but don know if use monopod or tripod cause i belive no space set up tripod

i will use my wide angle but don know if use monopod or tripod cause i belive no space set up tripod
    If you deploy your tripod at full length chances are good that you get some angry feedback for blocking the view. I only used my tripod with one leg unit extended, low enough not to block others. Other side effect: your foot print is smaller. Be there early, check the space. AFAIR, there is enough space for a tripod even between the seat rows.
    EOS

i feel that u should use a wide angle (any lens wider then 50mm, maybe 35mm or 30mm, fisheye probably may work here as well) instead since u will be quite close to the fireworks, 70-200 on your crop camera (i am assuming u are not using FF) is too tight and you have to figure exactly where the fireworks will explore (quite tough on a zoom lens especially on crop).
    Last edited by sinned79; 5th August 2011 at 04:31 PM.

Use tripod definitely... unless you have really really steady hands (even with monopod). And like what Octarine had advice, don't fully extend your tripod. Oh... I see you have a 18-250mm lens. Use that and forget about your 70-200mm, etc. Your 18-250mm is a great lens, have all the focal lenght you need.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Yup i will be bring my 70-200 18-250,75-300 and 10-20 which shud be enuf

Yup i will be bring my 70-200 18-250,75-300 and 10-20 which shud be enuf
    actually u should just bring your 10-22, its good enough. but u may want to bring your 75-300 to shoot the stage performance from where u are sitting. Leave your 70-200, 18-250 behind since it is already overlapped by your 75-300 and 10-20.

i doubt u have much time to change your lens during fireworks and not advisable too cos u will miss some shots prior to changing lens.

didn't u shoot the fireworks during the rehearsals? i hope u have done some practise how to shoot fireworks during these rehearsals.
    Last edited by sinned79; 5th August 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    actually u should just bring your 10-22, its good enough. but u may want to bring your 75-300 to shoot the stage performance from where u are sitting. Leave your 70-200, 18-250 behind since it is already overlapped by your 75-300 and 10-20.

i doubt u have much time to change your lens during fireworks and not advisable too cos u will miss some shots prior to changing lens.

didn't u shoot the fireworks during the rehearsals? i hope u have done some practise how to shoot fireworks during these rehearsals.
    yup i did shoot but since got go just shoot however the 70-200 is shoot people
    and some airplane