Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: quick release safe? or ballhead?

  1. #1

    Default quick release safe? or ballhead?

    what do you folks think. im using a slik tripod now with its own ballhead - was thinking of a quick release until i was at sungei buloh last sunday and saw a chap with a d70, almost have it go to pieces because his quick release gave way - luckily for him, the cam strap was looped to his arm which saved the cam.

  2. #2
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Hi,

    No matter what QR is used, if the user does not attach it properly, then it will slip and drop. Try to make it a habit to always double check the QR, and ensure it is secured. One should also always double check on the ballhead tension.



    Quote Originally Posted by mikey115
    what do you folks think. im using a slik tripod now with its own ballhead - was thinking of a quick release until i was at sungei buloh last sunday and saw a chap with a d70, almost have it go to pieces because his quick release gave way - luckily for him, the cam strap was looped to his arm which saved the cam.

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    That's probably a case of the equipment was incompatible, probably he just needed a stronger ballhead ?

  4. #4

    Default

    or a better plate?...

    been wandering also, does most expensive plates like Wimberly plates make a difference as compare to those plate tat comes with the head?

  5. #5
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    I've been using the manfrotto QR plates (square) and find that there is alot of "play" on the plates itself - resulting in frustration when doing high mag macro shots. I will be switching over to arca style plates.
    BUT back to the original question, no matter what system/plates one uses, if the plate isn't mounted correctly and/or secured properly, then will surely be unpleasant moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    or a better plate?...

    been wandering also, does most expensive plates like Wimberly plates make a difference as compare to those plate tat comes with the head?
    Last edited by eawtan; 30th September 2004 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eawtan
    I've been using the manfrotto QR plates (square) and find that there is alot of "play" on the plates itself - resulting in frustration when doing high mag macro shots. I will be switching over to arca style plates.
    BUT back to the original question, no matter what system/plates one uses, if the plate isn't mounted correctly and/or secured properly, then will surely be unpleasant moments.
    ya... esp your camera have tilt feature, like the F828... i can only mount the camera's QR to the head at 1 direction, and esp the 322RC2... mine cannot hook in unless i tilt my cam body upwards. cos the head hits the body...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7

    Default

    Arca Swiss-type plates are more secure in the sense that there's either a anti-slide pin on the clamp, or on the plate itself. It prevents the plate from completely sliding out of the clamp should you close but forget to tighten the clamp. But even with all these safety devices, accidents do happen

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •