Thread: How do you carry your heavy tripod on a overseas trip with no car?

Default How do you carry your heavy tripod on a overseas trip with no car?

I am going through some of the "Gears to Bring Overseas" and notice that a lot of people carry their heavy tripod around. How do you carry your tripod around when overseas? I am trouble lugging my heavy tripod around (1.2kg) and trying to find a more comfortable way to carry it around the world.

1) In a tripod pouch
    2) A backpack with a tripod holder
    3) Strap it to sling bag somehow and have a strained shoulder
    4) Hand carry as a walking stick and as a beating rod if needed
    5) Pass to husband/wife/bf/gf/kids to carry for you
    6) Leave it at hotel room most of the time....

Other ideas of carrying the tripod around for long distance and day to night will be welcome!

Default Re: How do you carry your heavy tripod on a overseas trip with no car?

for me:

2) backpack with tripod holder

for me

1) In a tripod pouch + 6) Leave it at hotel room most of the time....

leave it in the room and only bring out for those evenings where tripod is necessary
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

previously:

Currently:

I just put it in my tripod bag and carry it around myself.

for me i got a tripod sling. only used my tripod (2kg) when going out on 2 particular nights (left tripod in hotel during the day). well, i also have a Canon S90 with a mini-tripod in addition to my DSLR.

Hand carry, as most tripod bags these days are very silly and cannot be collapsed easily.

I don't use backpacks for travels most of the time, they are hard to access, and placing all your equipment behind has the risk of having someone lift a lens out of your bag without your noticing (though of course you can carry it on your front).

Only bring tripod for photography trip when tour with all photographer.
    Never bring for family tour.
    Bring a small but strong travel tripod always for photographic tour and put it in the sling bag that is easy and soft to carry.
    Check it in main language but bring it around always when shooting.

I use a canvas yoga mat/roll bag in lieu of a tripod bag - dislike those that cannot be collapsed too - this way I can simply roll it up and stuff it in one of my bag's pockets.
    Wife had one made via etsy as a present; just remember to tell the seller its purpose and to reinforce the stitching around the straps. It's a tripod after all.
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shanmugong View Post
    I am going through some of the "Gears to Bring Overseas" and notice that a lot of people carry their heavy tripod around. How do you carry your tripod around when overseas? I am trouble lugging my heavy tripod around (1.2kg) and trying to find a more comfortable way to carry it around the world.

1) In a tripod pouch

Other ideas of carrying the tripod around for long distance and day to night will be welcome!
    1.2 kg is heavy? Hmmmm....

Anyway, When I had my 2+ kg tripod, I used to carry it in a tripod bag sling over my shoulder and travel as part of my hand-carry, apart from my backpack. and it traveled all over the world with me. Sometimes when there are people traveling with me, like my wife or brother in law, they will offer to carry it for me and I let them.

Now with my 1.1 kg tripod setup, it is a breeze. Still using the same old tripod bag. When going out, I sometimes attach it to bag and leave the tripod bag at the hotel.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd August 2011 at 10:56 AM.

1) In a tripod pouch

7) strap and buckle (from op-tech)
    quick and easy to deploy
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

If that day not using, leave in luggage/bus/hotel...else if needed, sling it like AK..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I have a tripod sling bag which can I also strap to my main backpack. Works well. But if you consider 1.2kg already as heavy .. have you checked the weight of all your camera gear?
    EOS

Opps. I forgot to add the weight of my ball head. Total is 1.6kg. Total camera gear is ard 2kg with water bottle, 2 lens, flash, food and such. I have fellow friends advising me get a strap and hook it to my shoulder bag (Aching shoulders). Some asked me to buy a backpack and some asked me to buy ex high speed lens . Carrying a tripod bag like doing reservist, carrying my bazooka on my back. Decisions decision.

Opps. I forgot to add the weight of my ball head. Total is 1.6kg. Total camera gear is ard 2kg with water bottle, 2 lens, flash, food and such. I have fellow friends advising me get a strap and hook it to my shoulder bag (Aching shoulders). Some asked me to buy a backpack and some asked me to buy ex high speed lens . Carrying a tripod bag like doing reservist, carrying my bazooka on my back. Decisions decision.
    Or... you could buy a lighter tripod??

bag with a tripod holder unless you have a buddy who is kind enough to carry it for you>>
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8