Thread: recommendation for speedlights/flash

Default recommendation for speedlights/flash

Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Blog Entries

Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?
    Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
    confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..
    My FlickR l Google+

Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
    confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..
    Actually a lot of pro are using Nissin and there are very favorable comments on this flashgun. However it is not a really light flashgun, so you might want to test it out to see if the weigh appeal to you.

(I am also assuming that you have read reviews on each flashgun and knows their pro and con).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

The swivel head is important to me, so I would choose the Nissin

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    The swivel head is important to me, so I would choose the Nissin
    agreed, esp when taking in portrait mode..ur sb400 will be pointing towards anywhere but up.

Blog Entries

One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.
    Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks
    My FlickR l Google+

Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.

Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks
    TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash

dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash
    Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz..
    My FlickR l Google+

Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz..
    Don't worry too much. There are quite some CSers using Nissin and still happy with it
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post

when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    I sure hope some senior here will answer your question so that i can learn more in the meantime
    My FlickR l Google+

Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.
    Haha u should! i just got mine todae boy am i amazed. given that sb700 now doesn't have u to choose TTL/TTL-BL, as it auto compensates and adjust accordingly better in all TTL-BL mode, unless in spot metering. Build quality feels more solid than the sb600 too.

Portraits look gd esp with a bright background.

are u using an sb600? they tend to overexpose a lil imo, but could differ with other people. TTL mode in 600 is ok. BL overexposes a lil for me previously

using the SB-800. o well.. i ll just keep working around it. just happy that its consitent

Quote Originally Posted by technoglitz87 View Post
    are u using an sb600? they tend to overexpose a lil imo, but could differ with other people. TTL mode in 600 is ok. BL overexposes a lil for me previously
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Blog Entries

Hope this sheds some light on how BL mode behaves bro.

I was told once that nissin doesn't give accurate color. meaning it does turn abit yellowish compare to the original. not sure if I'm correct.

Hope this sheds some light on how BL mode behaves bro.

Thanks a lot daredevil123 for the video.
    My FlickR l Google+