Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: recommendation for speedlights/flash

  1. #1
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

    i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

    i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

    i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

    i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

    i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

    i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

    if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?
    Lousy de My Flickr

  3. #3
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?
    Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
    confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
    confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..
    Actually a lot of pro are using Nissin and there are very favorable comments on this flashgun. However it is not a really light flashgun, so you might want to test it out to see if the weigh appeal to you.

    (I am also assuming that you have read reviews on each flashgun and knows their pro and con).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    The swivel head is important to me, so I would choose the Nissin

  6. #6
    Member technoglitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    The swivel head is important to me, so I would choose the Nissin
    agreed, esp when taking in portrait mode..ur sb400 will be pointing towards anywhere but up.

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.

  8. #8
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.
    Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  9. #9

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.
    Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.

  10. #10

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks
    TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

    when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  12. #12
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash
    Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz..
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by jas1984 View Post
    Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz..
    Don't worry too much. There are quite some CSers using Nissin and still happy with it
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  14. #14
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

    when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    I sure hope some senior here will answer your question so that i can learn more in the meantime
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

  15. #15
    Member technoglitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.
    Haha u should! i just got mine todae boy am i amazed. given that sb700 now doesn't have u to choose TTL/TTL-BL, as it auto compensates and adjust accordingly better in all TTL-BL mode, unless in spot metering. Build quality feels more solid than the sb600 too.

    Portraits look gd esp with a bright background.

  16. #16
    Member technoglitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

    when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    are u using an sb600? they tend to overexpose a lil imo, but could differ with other people. TTL mode in 600 is ok. BL overexposes a lil for me previously

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    using the SB-800. o well.. i ll just keep working around it. just happy that its consitent

    Quote Originally Posted by technoglitz87 View Post
    are u using an sb600? they tend to overexpose a lil imo, but could differ with other people. TTL mode in 600 is ok. BL overexposes a lil for me previously
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

    when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?
    Hope this sheds some light on how BL mode behaves bro.




  19. #19

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    I was told once that nissin doesn't give accurate color. meaning it does turn abit yellowish compare to the original. not sure if I'm correct.

  20. #20
    Member jas1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Singapore / Little Red Dot
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: recommendation for speedlights/flash

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hope this sheds some light on how BL mode behaves bro.



    Thanks a lot daredevil123 for the video.
    Nikon D5000 - 18-55mm l 55-200mm l 35mm f1.8g l Grip
    My FlickR l Google+

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •