Thread: How much do we worth? Us as photographers

Default How much do we worth? Us as photographers

When i was a kid i always thought that photography is more than a passion, a job that i regard as highly prestige cause what you are capturing, are moments that time can never return you. That's why it's call capturing the image. I never believe a smile can be the same for the reasons that lead to these smiles and moments are different and as time washes away our age.. memories do fade but ultimately with a photo, it helps to recall back our memories that are once forgotten and left deep inside our brain. Rather like a key to our memories i would say.

But now a days DSLR are so affordable, and there are so many people that are into photography. Which suppose to be a good thing, but soon they come into this line whereby they call themselves a photographer, wedding photographer, but because of their experience and equipments but because they think they have a DSLR and are qualify as one. I know at some point of time, someone has to start from somewhere.. but i thought aren't we suppose to understudy someone's work, skills and ways of shooting before moving into this line? Someone approached you with a D80 and 18-135mm lens and tells you i'll charged u 160bucks for your wedding. Would you risk your once in a life time moment at 160bucks?

No offense but i do know budget is an area of consider as well, but it's a once in a life time thing. Isn't it worth saving up one more month of pay for the best? Just my 2 cent worth of thoughts.

I was once told by many and i believe a lot of you have hear this countless time before me. " Photography is not going to earn you big money. Nobody appreciate much art in this society or rather say Singapore ". Or somewhat a line same meaning to this. But i beg a differ, i always believe that when you're into photography, money is one thing, but it's the passion and what you can bring in and out from your camera, into the monitor or photo paper for the people, your clients that they know. Every cent paid is worthy. But countless times i've hear and see people offering charges of below couple hundred bucks for a photographer to perform their duty.

So how much exactly are we worth here, for what we do?

Default Re: How much do we worth? Us as photographers

Quote Originally Posted by nikonriana View Post
    When i was a kid i always thought that photography is more than a passion, a job that i regard as highly prestige cause what you are capturing, are moments that time can never return you. That's why it's call capturing the image. I never believe a smile can be the same for the reasons that lead to these smiles and moments are different and as time washes away our age.. memories do fade but ultimately with a photo, it helps to recall back our memories that are once forgotten and left deep inside our brain. Rather like a key to our memories i would say.

But now a days DSLR are so affordable, and there are so many people that are into photography. Which suppose to be a good thing, but soon they come into this line whereby they call themselves a photographer, wedding photographer, but because of their experience and equipments but because they think they have a DSLR and are qualify as one. I know at some point of time, someone has to start from somewhere.. but i thought aren't we suppose to understudy someone's work, skills and ways of shooting before moving into this line? Someone approached you with a D80 and 18-135mm lens and tells you i'll charged u 160bucks for your wedding. Would you risk your once in a life time moment at 160bucks?

No offense but i do know budget is an area of consider as well, but it's a once in a life time thing. Isn't it worth saving up one more month of pay for the best? Just my 2 cent worth of thoughts.

I was once told by many and i believe a lot of you have hear this countless time before me. " Photography is not going to earn you big money. Nobody appreciate much art in this society or rather say Singapore ". Or somewhat a line same meaning to this. But i beg a differ, i always believe that when you're into photography, money is one thing, but it's the passion and what you can bring in and out from your camera, into the monitor or photo paper for the people, your clients that they know. Every cent paid is worthy. But countless times i've hear and see people offering charges of below couple hundred bucks for a photographer to perform their duty.

My question to you is... what do you consider yourself in term of photography. Are you the so-call kid with a DSLR and thinking that you are a photographer or are you actually a photographer?

You brought out some good points but are they still valid in today's fast pace world? Of course it would be good to have someone guide you along your career path as a photographer, but sometime it was not possible, that is why we have photography course and stuff like that whereby aspiring photographers and hobbyist can go in and learn.

As to someone charging S$160 for a wedding photographers... well, this is a risk whoever willing to pay for would pay. Who knows, newbies who take the shots would come out with very very good shots too... I mean, someone with a iphone can take excellent photos of wedding ceremony too.

Anyway, I am not in the photography biz and I never consider myself a photographer, I am just a hobbyist with some spare cash and gotten myself a good DSLR with some fabulous lens. My work sucks, but I love the feel of shooting photographs. So to you, I might worth nothing. But to me, I worth the world.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Here is what I think....

As a photographer, it really doesn't matter how much you think you worth. But what really matter is What do you do to make you think you worth "X" to a client.

What makes a client pay the price that you like to command and appreciate your work, that determine your "price" or "worth".

I must admit, in order to keep the passion going, you will really need to shoot what you want to shoot and create what you want to create... and hopefully, someone appreciate what you want to do and pay you to do what you want to do. If you can do this, I can assure you that you will enjoy your craft as a photographer and at the same time, making a living out of photography. It is that simple really.

However, many people started the wrong way by first determine how much they want to charge by looking at "perceived" market value... money can ruins everything that you love.

Money will come in steadily when clients are buying what you have...

I think I worth $0.5 million a year for 2011... but do my clients or anyone particularly care about how much I "think" I worth? The only people care about that is people from Tax office for that matter.

Reality and Dreaming has a fine line. But I will never underestimate someone who has a dream as long as they are not day dreaming.

I hope it make sense.

Regards,

Hart
    Last edited by Agetan; 1st August 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Reality is anyone with a dslr, some lenses, a flash and some other gears can call themselves whatever photographer they want (Wedding, event, etc), just like someone with a computer knows how to use Photoshop, illustrator and Indesign, read a few design books and magazine thinks they are designers.

You can give yourself a price tag but its up to the other party to think if you're worth it. You get monkeys if you pay peanuts. If someone wanna pay cheaply for a certain service, chances are they are getting crappy quality out of it. I believe these people more or less have an idea what they are going to be getting. When it comes to art/creativity is very subjective, what works for you may not work for another.

Just pursue what you feel is right.... there are always a reason why people are charging lower than usual or why people are willing to pay for crappy stuffs.

Depends on you really. If you work hard and smart like Hart, maybe you can be worth half million a year. Or you can worth $2.50 for 6 photos cum data entry work cum class 3 driver.

Photography is an art.
    You can put any price tag on your work and it depends on how many people are willing to buy it, how long you can sustain your business and how much you can enjoy for doing such work.
    You can offer a wedding package with soft copies only at a price of SGD5000 and wait for someone to buy it. Why not?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Depends on you really. If you work hard and smart like Hart, maybe you can be worth half million a year. Or you can worth $2.50 for 6 photos cum data entry work cum class 3 driver.
    Eh... Just a number I plug from the air for example purpose... So don't think that I think that. Paiseh.

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by nikonriana View Post

If people cannot tell the differences between a $1,000,000 car and a $10,000 car. Whose fault is it ???

If your photos are only as good as any newbie with a DSLR. Why do you have to charge people a large sum of money ?

Professional photographers need to put in some effort to let their clients know the differences.

They should focus on create stunning photos to wow their clients.

When you put passion into your works. Money would follows.

I'm a casual shoot for leisure type of person. I don't regard myself as a photographer but i see ppl offering 160bucks 200bucks for a wedding photogapher? haha... just puzzle me...
    Just wanna hear some views from the seniors around in clubsnap C=
    Thanks for the enlighting so far..

don't be wrong, such low rate will not affect the pros who are charging premium rate for their service,
    those customers who are bargain hunters will not even thinking of hiring them at all.

those who "just start out" are the one who suffer the most, since usually their standards are not too far apart with those low-ballers, and many of them business failed is because of the fierce competition at low-end market, and they can't jump up to the next price level for better profit margin and less competition.

today market is very different compare to last time, cost of living are so high nowadays, lowest price strategy will not work, there are always someone $5 cheaper than you, and many willing to slash price and all die together, than there are many plenty newcomers will come and fill in the void.

a war that nobody is winner.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't be wrong, such low rate will not affect the pros who are charging premium rate for their service,
    those customers who are bargain hunters will not even thinking of hiring them at all.

those who "just start out" are the one who suffer the most, since usually their standards are not too far apart with those low-ballers, and many of them business failed is because of the fierce competition at low-end market, and they can't jump up to the next price level for better profit margin and less competition.

today market is very different compare to last time, cost of living are so high nowadays, lowest price strategy will not work, there are always someone $5 cheaper than you, and many willing to slash price and all die together, than there are many plenty newcomers will come and fill in the void.

Actually IMO , the bargain hunters win ..

Quote Originally Posted by junliang78 View Post
    Actually IMO , the bargain hunters win ..
    I'm referring the price war between photographers,

anyway, those bargain hunters also losers, cause they only focus on the price and how many photos they will be getting, miss out the most important things like the meaning, the experience, and the enjoyment of photography. these are something money can not measure or buy.
    to them they think they are paying for photo papers, all they need is a camera man just to snap snap snap.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

50 bucks for wedding shoot! you will get another wedding shoot for free!!

btw, sadly there are some promising and better than average phtgr who choose to charge at a shocking low price. anyway it's their choices and freedom to do so, but indirectly hurting the market (budgeted).

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Nikonriana likes this post :thumbs: