Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what will you do if someone give critics of your photos?

Default Re: what will you do if someone give critics of your photos?

Examine the intent of the person who comments, if it is good, thank him happily for it. If it is bad, ignore him, that's best. If it is in doubt, give him the benefit of the doubt and thank him for it. You can choose to clarify, but there is no need to be defensive. Just keep in mind that no photograph in the world will please everyone.

At the same time, you are your best and worst critic. 8,000 people can comment, but if you don't train yourself to spot the mistakes you made, if you are not hard on yourself, it will amount to nothing.

I avoid giving unsolicited critiques.

If someone is posting a photo in the critique corner, no problem, he had asked for it and I will try to help.

If someone is sharing photos for leisure or informative sharing, I don't give unsolicited critics, personally I think its rude. I recall a thread when a local renowned portraitist was sharing some hasselblad test shots discussing about the quality of the files, when some rude people starts to slam his composition or posing taking the whole thread out of context. Another example is when people share some travel pictures, and somehow people feel the need to play guru again and post critiques. Some viewers make post some nice comments and the TS may acknowledge, but doesn't mean he wants critique, good or not. Not everyone wants their photos to be critiqued by any Toms Harry Dick, they may have certain people in mind they want to seek advice for and not open to just anyone's comments.

The worst are the irresponsible people (or with malicious intent) posing unsolicited critics on those wedding portfolios section. Isn't it obvious that these guys are relying a part of their advertising/exposure/showcase there? Cut them some slack people are trying to make a living not making a hobby.

JMHO
    Last edited by sjackal; 31st July 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

What counts as a good critique? "please crop here, please convert to B&W?"

Doesn't really help the photographer to think. One should develop their own style. What do you FEEL when you look at their work? And while a critique can only do so much from a certain pov, ultimately the decision to improve lies on the original photographer.

If they cannot accept a critique, they may have to change something within themselves to be more receptive. If they cannot accept what you're saying, something has to change within yourself to make people more receptive towards you.

At the end of the day, does it really matter that they aren't listening to you?

It's really about saving face here isn't it?

"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go." -Bertrand Russell
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    What counts as a good critique? "please crop here, please convert to B&W?"

Doesn't really help the photographer to think. One should develop their own style. What do you FEEL when you look at their work? And while a critique can only do so much from a certain pov, ultimately the decision to improve lies on the original photographer.

If they cannot accept a critique, they may have to change something within themselves to be more receptive. If they cannot accept what you're saying, something has to change within yourself to make people more receptive towards you.

At the end of the day, does it really matter that they aren't listening to you?

It's really about saving face here isn't it?

"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go." -Bertrand Russell
    Can I click LIKE on what you said?

i will read/listen and ask myself....."does this critique make any sense to me?"

if it does, then i've learnt something new and hopefully can use it to improve my photography. if not, i'll just move on.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12