Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Is C2100UZ too high end for newbie?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    148

    Default Is C2100UZ too high end for newbie?

    HEy my first post.

    Thinking of getting the UZI, but is it too high an investment for newbie? I think mkt value is abt $950 for it rite?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    some "newbies" are spending >>$1000 for their first digicam. Guess a lot depends on the individual and their financial capability.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  3. #3

    Default

    Well nothing is "high End"

    It how you use the DC that matter. A good pic tell a thousand word not the DC.

  4. #4
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    I newbie also... buy 2100 and yet havent got time to learn about the manual settings... just using mainly auto features...

    3 simple questions
    1)best is to set yourself a budget...
    2)then ask yourself what you need the camera for
    3)then ask yourself what is the top 3 things you are willing to sacrifice (or live without) in order to fulfil the first 2 questions.

    Presto... you've got it

  5. #5
    Moderator sebastiansong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,556
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by Bluestrike
    Well nothing is "high End"

    It how you use the DC that matter. A good pic tell a thousand word not the DC.
    well said... no one is going to say wah he took that shot with a G2 or 2100UZ... unless of course you perform the physically impossible and use a point and shoot and get some fantastic formula 1 action shot.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: Is C2100UZ too high end for newbie?

    Originally posted by tangcy
    HEy my first post.

    Thinking of getting the UZI, but is it too high an investment for newbie? I think mkt value is abt $950 for it rite?
    No, it is not...

    In fact I think it is a good DC for someone who's serious in getteing into digital pohtography.

    $950 is just right....there're a lot more (newer) DCs in the market that's priced in excess of S$1K.

    If you have a limited budget, the Casio 2900UX or Olympus C-2040z are 2 other good DCs that won't break the bank.

    BTW, I bought the Olympus C-2100UZ due to its 10x IS optical zoom lens.

  7. #7

    Default

    it all depends on how much time/investment u wanna spend on ur camera.
    If u enjoy outing and is a shutterbug get the best u can find. otherwise just keep with a low budget camera.

    As a hobbyist, u will tend to switch between functions and try these try tat, if a DC without manual settings... the shutterbug will soon be sianzz of it as nothing more to try.......

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    148

    Default

    For $950, what's shld be in the package? and what else shld I get?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    pay $950 for the camera (standard package) and a UV lens.

    other things you would probably need straight away:
    1. camera bag
    2. additional memory, probably 128MB


    optional things:
    1. rechargeable batteries and charger
    2. tripod
    3. circular polariser
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    pay $950 for the camera (standard package) and a UV lens.

    other things you would probably need straight away:
    1. camera bag
    2. additional memory, probably 128MB


    optional things:
    1. rechargeable batteries and charger
    2. tripod
    3. circular polariser
    The UV filter is cheap and it protects ur lens from dust and scratches. Get it!

    U'll definitely need a semi-hard pouch or camera bag to protect and hold ur DC + other stuffs....a dry box to store the DC for extended periods is a good idea too.

    Forget abt that puny 8MB SM which comes with the DC, get at least a 64MB SM.....at SHQ setting, u can take abt 45 ~ 50+ shots....each file is abt 1.2MB.

    Buy at least 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and a quick charger (3hrs or less charging time).....a std set of 4x1600maH allows you to take from 100 ~ 150 pix, depending on flash and LCD usage, plus the sleep mode setting.

    You'll need the tripod for night/long-exposure shots......the IS won't help in these cases.

    As for the cir. polarizer, u can hold it off for now, but u may want to buy it in future when u r more comfotable with ur DC.

    Be prepared to spend at least a few hundred more $$$ on all these stuffs.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    wow.... seems like I give a structured question and Jayan give the answers!
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Thks for all the advice. Looks like + the accessories, might blow my $1k budget.

    How much does a C700UZ cost? My the reading thru the posts, C700 and C2100 is comparable except for IS and WB, rest are the same. Also like C700 for its compact design.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    costs about the same as the 2100UZ but it doesn't come with a remote.

    another you can consider is mine
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Is the 2100UZ using the same lens as the Canon Pro 90IS?

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=2134295
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    Is the 2100UZ using the same lens as the Canon Pro 90IS?

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=2134295
    Yes or no, depending on how u see it.

    Olympus apparently licensed the IS lens technology from Canon and used it on both the C-2100UZ and E-100RS.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza


    another you can consider is mine
    Thought abt it too, but the jaggy at high res bothers me. I will probably print it 4R size using my deskjet, will that matters?

    How much is your casio?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by tangcy


    Thought abt it too, but the jaggy at high res bothers me. I will probably print it 4R size using my deskjet, will that matters?

    How much is your casio?
    jagginess is not at high resolution. it's for high contrast pics. you probably can minimise by setting the sharpness to low. you could check out my pics at photo.net

    you might want to consider developing prints at the shops. prints will have higher quality and will be more lasting than printouts from your deskjets. inkjet printint isn't cheap once you factored in the cost of the ink and paper.

    probably can get the QV2900UX for $650-700 now.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Originally posted by tangcy
    Thks for all the advice. Looks like + the accessories, might blow my $1k budget.

    How much does a C700UZ cost? My the reading thru the posts, C700 and C2100 is comparable except for IS and WB, rest are the same. Also like C700 for its compact design.

    The C2100UZ can use the optical zoom during movie recording mode, has IR remote, another lcd for instant info - total three including the EVF. Oh yes it has AF illuminator too.

    The C700 is smaller, has ISO800 andmanual WB.
    Last edited by LifeWorld; 1st February 2002 at 01:08 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    Originally posted by Jayan


    Yes or no, depending on how u see it.

    Olympus apparently licensed the IS lens technology from Canon and used it on both the C-2100UZ and E-100RS.

    Rumour that Canon has stopped the licensing. Probably no more IS lens for Oly.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hougang, SG
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Originally posted by LifeWorld



    Rumour that Canon has stopped the licensing. Probably no more IS lens for Oly.
    The licensing is for 2 models only --> the C-2100UZ and E-100RS.....so those who wants 10x IS lens cheap...chiong ah!!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •