Thread: How do u defind weekend or hobby user Vs. Pro?

Default How do u defind weekend or hobby user Vs. Pro?

Come out from B&S section, frequently see some bros say I only use camera for trip or holiday. Or they tell you camera is only used for hobby not for work. Yeah I can tell if camera is for work, it could be abused or not in good condition. However once come to the SC, some bros gave less than 50k and state for holiday only and just use occasionally. That is a wow. I did a simple math. 2 years got 100 weekend and 22 days of PH. And say 30 days leave, sum up it was 250 days. In 250 days, need to take 200 photos everyday to make 50k SC that sounds a lot to me. Just for curious, any pro can tell me how many clicks you made in a year?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do u defind weekend or hobby user Vs. Pro?

it would depend on the kind of work the pro does, each wedding can easily reach over 300 - 400 shots.
    on my trip to japan for a week i came back with more than 2 thousand shots

if you worried then factor in the cost of a brand new shutter or dont buy 2nd hand

Blog Entries

what does it matter ?

trust NOBODY and assume the worst that the camera has been actively used, high shutter count and even dropped once or twice no matter what is claimed (treat what they say as BS especially points that you cannot check or verify .... sorry sellers) ..... and that you are ok with the price with these assumptions ...... you will tend to end up a happier buyer
    Last edited by ed9119; 29th July 2011 at 10:18 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Surprise me, 2 mod replied...okay.. it is nothing about buy or not to buy. just want to see for different ppls, maybe have different definitions for pro usage. For example, a pro with every day wedding assignment could make 500*300 = 15K SC a year. that sounds reasonable but it definitely less than what some hobby user made....However, I hear some pro make 200k SC in a year? Just wondering what kind work they have that can make that.

Please allow me off topic a little bit. Buying item at B&S, I may already waste about 5k on different things, like hifi, handphone, pc and etc. Some of them have hidden problems and some of them are modified but sold as new with warranty. I try to buy at low price and eventually I need to pay more to repair them. I think they are all good lessons, I blame no-one except for myself. I need to response to any purchase I made not the seller. Happy shooting and happy trading.
    Last edited by lszomb; 29th July 2011 at 10:48 AM.

I use to hit 10k every three months when I shoot wedding events.
    nowadays I shoot mostly portraits, so get less shots,
    but I shoot timelapse for stock also, shooting between 800 to 2000 frames per outing
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I know someone that shoots at least 1000-2000 photos per week. The camera hasn't exploded yet.. So I think it should be fine...
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    but I shoot timelapse for stock also, shooting between 800 to 2000 frames per outing
    yeah time lapse damage quite high.... haha that reminds me to stop using my 5DMKII and use my back up 40D to shoot time lapse... -_-"

Hobby user can also shoot photo on weekdays like outing and gatherings with friends, or do still-life at home also can. Hobby doesn't mean must go shoot at weekend and holiday only right?

I shoot around 200-300 pics each time I go outings with CSers or friends. Trying different setting to see what effect it gives. Shooting as hobby only.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Pro makes $$
    Hobby come out $$

I don't think you need to analyze why some people can accumulate certain shutter count. I don't think it affects you.

In fact, I can't be bothered about shutter count when I buy second hand cameras, unless the shutter count is very close to the estimated shutter life.

A pro puts a huge copyright watermark in the centre of the photo, because the photo is so awesome that people will want to steal it.
    Usually the copyright will be something like "(c) COPYRIGHT *insert name* photography".
    There's usually vignetting and a big border around it, and then it will list all the gear the pro owns, typically "Canon EOS 1DsmkIII, 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, B+W MRC filter" (yes, the L is always in red to emphasise that the photographer is pro).

I think shuttercount depends on the individual. There may be pros who one-shot-kill, and there may be hobbyists who machine-gun it.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com