View Poll Results: Should there be a Wedding Photographers Board?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, it is a good idea, subject to close monitoring.

25 32.05%
  • NO, let it be a free market.

53 67.95%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Photographers Board

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2004
    We can generally classify them as pro if they work full time, semi if part time and amateur if they are hobbyist and doesn't depend on photography for income. As for the level of skills, you can grade them in terms of no. of years involved.

Agreed, this seems very simplistic and serious discussion need to be conducted if people are serious about doing it.
    Yes, the term of professional, amateur, hobbyist, we should use as what dictionary describe, but the quality of works is rather subjective.

Some professionals may produce mediocre works, and some amateur can produce excellent works.

So, I still believed that our customer is our best judge, they are the end users, should decide what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    Instead of a 'grading' board or guild whatever...it's better to have a portfolio board.

each photog has their own taste thus everyone shoots differently...showcasing some of their best works will be better...without any ratings...add in their e-mail add for contact purposes. if got webby, better still.
    I think this is a good idea too. We can have a collection of portfolios for clients to view (in a dedicated website for wedding photography in Msia/Sg) so that they can get a feel of individual style.

However, the question that begs to be answered is this; say someone likes this amateur photog v. much compared to the pro...how much can s/he charge? Is there a guideline or can s/he get away with murder?

What, you don't look at their photos first? We are not talking about pension schemes for crying out loud.
    You don't look at the figures for your pension schemes?

However, the question that begs to be answered is this; say someone likes this amateur photog v. much compared to the pro...how much can s/he charge? Is there a guideline or can s/he get away with murder?

Repost:

Than, how we gonne workout? charge whatever amount you feel comfortable, when your assignments reach your full capacity or feel burn out. Raise your price. If you are not getting any assignment, mostly likely you overprice yourself.

Ok, $480 for 8rolls, how? Alan Dai also charging this amount, he is cheap and good, don't know who is he? Do a shearch in FBO of SB.com
    Last edited by catchlights; 30th September 2004 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Repost:

Than, how we gonne workout? charge whatever amount you feel comfortable, when your assignments reach your full capacity or feel burn out. Raise your price. If you are not getting any assignment, mostly likely you overprice yourself.

Ok, $480 for 8rolls, how? Alan Dai also charging this amount, he is cheap and good, don't know who is he? Do a shearch in FBO of SB.com
    assuming that it's 8 hours work, and the cost of film/developing/prints is $20 per roll, that works out to an hourly rate of $40 per hour for the photog just for labour alone. $40 per hour for 40 hours a week x 52 weeks in a year / 12 months comes up to almost $7k earnings per month. not bad at all (of cos $7k per photo session is even better)

Last edited by zaren; 1st October 2004 at 01:00 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

When you are gd... u are really gd... nothing to be bothered by those "less value" photographer when yr work and mkt is there?
    jus be patience!
    Yr portfolio speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    assuming that it's 8 hours work, and the cost of film/developing/prints is $20 per roll, that works out to an hourly rate of $40 per hour for the photog just for labour alone. $40 per hour for 40 hours a week x 52 weeks in a year / 12 months comes up to almost $7k earnings per month. not bad at all (of cos $7k per photo session is even better)

If IRAS base on this kind calculation and tax us, many of us sure fall flat flat liao.

Btw, is this the way you calculate how to charge a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Don't you feel sorry for a photographer who needs "protection"? :=)
    sion, honestly...I don't think professional photographers who make living from shooting need protection from us or CS. Since they are pro and should be good enough, then they should have no problem securing those job that require pro standard.

buy/sell forum has actually ruin the business of many 2nd hand shops...but we don't need to protect them. simple...free market.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    If IRAS base on this kind calculation and tax us, many of us sure fall flat flat liao.

Btw, is this the way you calculate how to charge a job?
    nope...i would charge the "market rate".
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    When you are gd... u are really gd... nothing to be bothered by those "less value" photographer when yr work and mkt is there?
    jus be patience!
    Yr portfolio speaks!

And if one complains you're too expensive, you know you're not what they want, just try to get away from spending too much time with the couple. Heehee...

You don't look at the figures for your pension schemes?
    Yes I would if it is a pension scheme but it's not. So I look at the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    after this wedding photographers board, what's next? BUY SELL board? grading the reliability of the seller and check his gear one by one and registered all of his equipment under CS, then when he wants to sell them, members can have a better idea how the condition of the items are (based on CS rating) and give appropiate pricing...this way we can monitor and control the quality and consistency in the buy/sell market...
    Oh don't forget to grade the buyer too - eg realistic, unreasonable, el cheapo etc

Yeah.. and fake-co..
    LOL

In hokkien we call them

"yao gui kei you xiu"

once, thru word of mouth.. this client wanted to slash almost 50% of my quote.. but den.. i wasnt desperate for tt deal.. thus i didnt give any furthur reduction cuz dun wanna spoil my own mkt mah
    =)
    ai pi ai qi ai tua XXXX ni

Money is the root of all evil. Once it gets in the way of your passion, it reflects in your works.

When something you started out loving slowly evolves to something that just solely gets you money, it shows.

I love weddings because there is so much passion and raw love in the couple's eyes. I want to capture those emotions. Its just my passion.

I hope i don't ever evolve from that, to just become a wedding photographer doing his job of capturing the event just to get paid that lump sum of money.

Of course, there will be some highly paid, highly passionate wedding photographers out there. Those are the ones that make it to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by FLiNcHY
    Money is the root of all evil. Once it gets in the way of your passion, it reflects in your works.

When something you started out loving slowly evolves to something that just solely gets you money, it shows.

I love weddings because there is so much passion and raw love in the couple's eyes. I want to capture those emotions. Its just my passion.

I hope i don't ever evolve from that, to just become a wedding photographer doing his job of capturing the event just to get paid that lump sum of money.

Of course, there will be some highly paid, highly passionate wedding photographers out there. Those are the ones that make it to the top.
    the common miscopetion,money is NOT the root of all evil. it is the LOVE for money that is the root of all evil.

Money isn't the root of all evil, it's the obsession over money that is.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    Instead of a 'grading' board or guild whatever...it's better to have a portfolio board.

each photog has their own taste thus everyone shoots differently...showcasing some of their best works will be better...without any ratings...add in their e-mail add for contact purposes. if got webby, better still.

it'll be like a directory of wedding photogs in CS...with portfolio, contact, website...NO RATINGS...man, it becomes like advertising liao

but then again...do it, if it really serves a GOOD purpose. period.
    Yes, I think this is a good idea, just have a listing directory of whoever want to be listed, people can feel free to post their rates, show case their works in their webby. But can it be done here?

And also, how about let this thread be the wedding photography Q&A thread? People can post any questions regarding wedding day photography, like how much should I charge? Is it norm to shoot this way or that way? People can ask and share freely here, I would like to share with people here for whatever I know.

Bravo! Bravo! Well said!

But sorry hor. I have to make a living as wedding photographer, and got many mouths to feed. So I make it very clear to my potential customers that, they have paid my price for my service, if not, go and find someone else to shoot for them. Business has to run like a business, I can not shoot for free or ang pow only.

hi guys, this is like the airline industry we see now in Singapore! take the analogy of the low cost carriers and the full-service carriers... i guess the full-service carriers have to fend for themselves (even the govt wun protect them!)... BUT also there's no stopping a low-cost carrier becoming a full-service carrier in future.

my pt:
    a) the 'pros' have to find ways to differentiate themselves... simple economics: the fittest survives.

b) the 'amateurs' may become better and better, and start charging more and more... simple economics again: supply and demand determines your optimal price

(anywayz, i put 'pros' and 'amateurs' in inverted commas bcos i have seen 'pros' shoot amateurish shots, and of cos also 'pros' who shoot really good shots, and vice versa. i rather classify them as 'part-time' or 'full-time' photographers)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast