Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sweet Surrender

  1. #1
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Sweet Surrender

    Thanks for viewing!



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure / Composition

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To make one feel like eating the desserts upon seeing the photo

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Indoors, under moderate lighting

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think it is a pretty decent shot, however I think the reflection of the glass cups didn't allowed me to capture the desserts as well as I would have liked.

  2. #2
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    lovely portrait which I feel the clutter in the background could have been better managed bro' (if a fork is going to be in the pic, then position it properly.... as it is, the fork in your image is more a distracting 'noise' than an actual prop


    clear the background saucer and sugar holder

    one tip: u can always try using napkins and serviettes strategically

    nice stuff.... made me hungry
    Last edited by ed9119; 30th July 2011 at 12:09 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #3
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    lovely portrait which I feel the clutter in the background could have been better managed bro' (if a fork is going to be in the pic, then position it properly.... as it is, the fork in your image is more a distracting 'noise' than an actual prop


    clear the background saucer and sugar holder

    one tip: u can always try using napkins and serviettes strategically

    nice stuff.... made me hungry
    Thanks!

    I was focusing more of the food so I didn't realized the background was actually causing such a distraction.
    On hind side, I guess the position of the fork can be placed better. Also if the saucer and sugar holder were remove would definitely remove clutter in the background.

    And thanks for the tip about using serviettes and napkins, that will be something I am looking forward to explore when taking more food shots.

    I appreciate your comments!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    nice shot... you totally made me wanna go for cake and desserts now! however, i think the background needs a little improvement.. from a noob's point of view, i would have wanted to tighten the photo by just cropping out the background and just focus on the food.. alternatively, you could de-clutter the background a little... after all i believe that your focus was on the desserts rite?
    CANON EOS 550D, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8, EF 75-300mm USM F4-5.6, EF 50mm F1.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    I can see a small piece of crumb or distraction beside the slice of cake.
    left side of the glass/plastic container also not very clean.

    I think it can be better if the shadow is not to the left side of the image.

  6. #6
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterlee86 View Post
    nice shot... you totally made me wanna go for cake and desserts now! however, i think the background needs a little improvement.. from a noob's point of view, i would have wanted to tighten the photo by just cropping out the background and just focus on the food.. alternatively, you could de-clutter the background a little... after all i believe that your focus was on the desserts rite?
    Thanks for the tips! This is my first food shot and I really have no idea how the composition is supposed to be like.
    I will definitely take note to de-clutter the background and make it more pleasant for the eyes.
    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by 1412235827 View Post
    I can see a small piece of crumb or distraction beside the slice of cake.
    left side of the glass/plastic container also not very clean.

    I think it can be better if the shadow is not to the left side of the image.
    Thanks! I did not really notice the crumb and the glass container until you have pointed it out.
    It is amazing how such small details can still distract the focus of the shot, I will take note to "clean up" the food next time round before taking the shot.
    Will take note of the shadows too. Thanks!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    just wondering, were the desserts from a buffet? might have been better for the colours if the cake on the bottom right was removed, and the rest of the desserts centred on the plate. i would also have done away with the shadow in the top right if possible

  9. #9

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Just my personal opinions:
    1) Food looks plastic and dry, and does not look appetizing to me. Might have been better if you heat it up so that it melts slightly, or pour some melting chocolate on it. You could even spray some water mist on the fruits to make them look fresher and not so plastic.
    2) The lighting created unpleasant looking shadows.
    3) The arrangement of the items can be improved. Alternatively, just pick one of the pieces and leave out the rest. Eg. just take the photo of that triangle piece, and maybe place a little bit of the tiny fruits on the plate, but again take note of the arrangement.
    4) The cake in the foreground is out of focus, this type of minor details is important.

  10. #10
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    just wondering, were the desserts from a buffet? might have been better for the colours if the cake on the bottom right was removed, and the rest of the desserts centred on the plate. i would also have done away with the shadow in the top right if possible
    Yes they were from a buffet. And Thanks for the advise on placement, I will work on it for better composition in future shots

  11. #11
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Axedeee View Post
    Just my personal opinions:
    1) Food looks plastic and dry, and does not look appetizing to me. Might have been better if you heat it up so that it melts slightly, or pour some melting chocolate on it. You could even spray some water mist on the fruits to make them look fresher and not so plastic.
    2) The lighting created unpleasant looking shadows.
    3) The arrangement of the items can be improved. Alternatively, just pick one of the pieces and leave out the rest. Eg. just take the photo of that triangle piece, and maybe place a little bit of the tiny fruits on the plate, but again take note of the arrangement.
    4) The cake in the foreground is out of focus, this type of minor details is important.
    Thanks for the various tips! I didn't know there were so much to take note of when doing food photography!

    I was limited since I was at a buffet setting and I did not have the resources available to touch up on the desserts. But I do agree that the fruits do look a little plastic, will take note of that in future.
    In hindsight, I guess I should have used a flash to get rid of the shadows.
    I will take note of the placement and focus in future, thanks very much for the tips!

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Background aside, I think the layout of the desserts on the plate can be improved. It looked a little heavy on the right side of the plate. If the brown cupcake? in the foreground is moved to the empty left side and the spacing for the items readjusted, it can work.

  13. #13
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Sweet Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Background aside, I think the layout of the desserts on the plate can be improved. It looked a little heavy on the right side of the plate. If the brown cupcake? in the foreground is moved to the empty left side and the spacing for the items readjusted, it can work.
    Noted, thanks for the pointers!
    I will take note to balance the food items in future and try for a better composition.

    The tips were most appreciated!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •