Thread: Is it bad to shoot for free?

Default Is it bad to shoot for free?

When I borrowed a Metz from my friend who was a pro wedding photog I got carpeted by him for doing it free. However this was only a very rare occasion for me as I hated shooting wedding because of the long hours and stress.

What do you think about shooting it for free? Are we denying another pro a paid assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    When I borrowed a Metz from my friend who was a pro wedding photog I got carpeted by him for doing it free. However this was only a very rare occasion for me as I hated shooting wedding because of the long hours and stress.

What do you think about shooting it for free? Are we denying another pro a paid assignment?
    I think it's ok to help a friend or to practice your skills.

A pro will have their own market for more professional jobs. Of course, we might be denying them of some of the low-end jobs but if you think you are helping a friend and at the same time giving yourself a learning experience, you should not think too much.

It's like as if you want to act for free, Mediacorps will let you act in their dramas? They will still pay for stars mah. So, pros will have to work hard for their money and it's their skills and style that makes them unique.

Just my own views, dun bombard me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

NEVER offer to shoot for free unless the couple really can't afford to pay for a photog. Even for close relatives, I always ask them to look for professionals in the trade but i will volunteer to help in the back up, but only after they have arranged for professional help. Usually just an hour during the activities time as well as maybe shooting those shots normally full-time photog will miss, such as shooting among friends, relatives, etc..
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    NEVER offer to shoot for free unless the couple really can't afford to pay for a photog. Even for close relatives, I always ask them to look for professionals in the trade but i will volunteer to help in the back up, but only after they have arranged for professional help. Usually just an hour during the activities time as well as maybe shooting those shots normally full-time photog will miss, such as shooting among friends, relatives, etc..
    Mostly agree. I would do it for free for close relatives though, but everyone else, please find a pro first.

If you want to do it for free, who can stop you? It's not like you are breaking the law or what.

just a suggestion,

get them to get someone else to do it. u can act as a backup to provide additional coverage. and suggest tht u only do it in the day and enjoy the dinner.

u get to learn (from someone else), the pros get to earn, ur fren gets additional photos to choose from without paying a bomb for it.

as for stress, u'd be less stressful, since the pro will be the one who'd be more stressed. and the hours wun be tht long, it's just the morning... treat it as a workout.