Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The New E-300

Quote Originally Posted by serene
    I have seen some comments/feedback by users who tried the E-300. In general, they feel that the built is not worse than the Digital Rebel and some commented that the camera has a professional feel despite its low prices. Also learnt that some Sigma lenses are supported - does anyone know anything about it? Thanks
    Hmm, any comments saying that the build is not worse than the Drebel surely isn't very informative since the Drebel is about the lowest denominator you can find with regards to build quality! That said, I think a lot of people will be pleased with the body strength of the E300. I suspect that the shutter life would be a pleasant surprise as well.

Not sure if you'd want to place a Sigma lens on the E-300 given that the Oly ZD lenses are already so good value for money. (I was going to say "cheap" but Singaporeans don't really like cheap. They think they want cheap but they actually mean that they want "value")

A lightweight E-300 body with the splendid 11-22 would make a wonderful walkabout combination.

(these icons are fun)
    Last edited by kahheng; 13th November 2004 at 01:00 PM.

anybody know how the uw housing would be like?

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Hmm, any comments saying that the build is not worse than the Drebel surely isn't very informative since the Drebel is about the lowest denominator you can find with regards to build quality! That said, I think a lot of people will be pleased with the body strength of the E300. I suspect that the shutter life would be a pleasant surprise as well.

Not sure if you'd want to place a Sigma lens on the E-300 given that the Oly ZD lenses are already so good value for money. (I was going to say "cheap" but Singaporeans don't really like cheap. They think they want cheap but they actually mean that they want "value")

A lightweight E-300 body with the splendid 11-22 would make a wonderful walkabout combination.

(these icons are fun)
    Hi Kah Heng
    Thanks for your advice. The camera comes w/ 14mm-45mm (28mm - 90mm in 35mm format). As I do not wish to keep changing lenses, what would you recommend for a variety of shots. I like to take macro as well as buildings, sometimes people, if there is an interesting occasion. For macro, it does not need to be really microsopic (not sure if there are any difference in level of magnification coz some pics are saw were more magnified that those w/ the human eye). There is a Zuiko 40mm-150mm for the E-300. What do you think?

Thanks

Hi Kah Heng
    Thanks for your advice. The camera comes w/ 14mm-45mm (28mm - 90mm in 35mm format). As I do not wish to keep changing lenses, what would you recommend for a variety of shots. I like to take macro as well as buildings, sometimes people, if there is an interesting occasion. For macro, it does not need to be really microsopic (not sure if there are any difference in level of magnification coz some pics are saw were more magnified that those w/ the human eye). There is a Zuiko 40mm-150mm for the E-300. What do you think?

Thanks
    I'd suggest you buy the kit set first with the 14-45 and use that for a while. Add lenses later when you find that lens not sufficient for your applications. I can tell you that the 50mm macro is sensational if you need a macro lens.

Hi Kah Heng
    Thanks again I learnt that the price for the 50mm F2 is around $900 from the Japanese shop. They responded to me so quickly. Not sure if this price is reasonable for lens of its class. If anyone has a pic taken w/ this lens, let me know.

Hi Kah Heng
    Thanks again I learnt that the price for the 50mm F2 is around $900 from the Japanese shop. They responded to me so quickly. Not sure if this price is reasonable for lens of its class. If anyone has a pic taken w/ this lens, let me know.
    $900 is not much better than local prices. Ask CP or AP what the price is.

I have taken pics with this lens because I own one. It's really that good.

$900 is not much better than local prices. Ask CP or AP what the price is.

I have taken pics with this lens because I own one. It's really that good.
    This sounds good, Kah Heng. Do you have any gallery? Can you provide a link? Is your avatar taken w/ a Oly lens?
    Thanks again

i think there's a website call, www.myfourthirds.com

it has many very stunning pics & closeups. those taken with the 50mm macro is very detailed.

i think for about $900, the 50mm 1:2 macro is alittle pricey. Oly wants 4/3 owners to buy it at a full 100mm 1:1 macro lens price, just like the 300mm (600mm price). so far i reckon the dynamic duo is the best buy, 14-54mm & 50-200mm. not too exp & can cover a very good range. what i had in mind is maybe u can buy an adaptor that accepts other mounts like nikon or canon, then buy a tamron 90mm macro or sigma 105mm macro. that effectively gives u 180mm 2:1 & 210mm 2:1 respectively. that wud be very good for macro. if i remember correctly, there's a website selling the adaptor call www.cameraquest.com

FYI, the 1.4x teleconverter is $700+ & the ext. tube is $300+. quite pricey if u ask me.

have fun shopping!!

Hi nightpiper
    Thanks for the link - the pictures are very encouraging to see. The 50mm-200mm lens looks very good even for macro shots. Do you know its magnification? Do you know what the price might be? The E300 comes w/ 14mm-45mm so I think it is not very useful to get the 14mm-54mm. But I wonder why 14mm-45mm is offered? Honestly, I hope not to spend more than $2K - but guess I will need an external flash for macro. What will be the appropiate flash that can give the effects of sunlight in low light situation. Thanks!

Hi,
    Pls see link to see E-300 side by side w/ E-1, Canon 300D(Kiss Digital) and Nikon D 70.
    http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/ds...09/28/126.html

This sounds good, Kah Heng. Do you have any gallery? Can you provide a link? Is your avatar taken w/ a Oly lens?
    Thanks again
    A gallery?

I am not the gallery type but if you're interested in of pictures taken by enthusiasts with the E-1, here's one: http://www.myfourthirds.com
    Last edited by kahheng; 15th November 2004 at 05:11 AM.

A gallery?

I am not the gallery type but if you're interested in of pictures taken by enthusiasts with the E-1, here's one: http://www.myfourthirds.com
    Kah Heng
    I was just wondering if I can see the 50mm macro you have taken. Thanks for the link.

Do you know its magnification? Do you know what the price might be? The E300 comes w/ 14mm-45mm so I think it is not very useful to get the 14mm-54mm. But I wonder why 14mm-45mm is offered? Honestly, I hope not to spend more than $2K - but guess I will need an external flash for macro. What will be the appropiate flash that can give the effects of sunlight in low light situation. Thanks!

sorry i have no idea what mag. is the 50-200mm but i think it shud be in the range of 1:4 ~ 1:8, its not really a macro lens but the ext tube can somewhat get u closer to the action. price wise, the 50-200mm is about $1800. that i must say is a very good deal. just take a peep at other camps that offer this range & quality.

with a budget of $2k, its very limitting for choice. if i m not wrong, Oly offer a 14-45mm to distinguish it from the pro lens. besides being a slower lens, theres no weather seal & the resolving power is not that strong too. just look at the resolving power nikon & canon kit lens u will know what i mean.

for macro, unless u r very hardcore, otherwise a normal hotshoe flash (FL36) with a reflector/bounce will do. Oly has 2 types of macro flashes just for macro photography but be warned, they r going to cost u.

is the E300 out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    sorry i have no idea what mag. is the 50-200mm but i think it shud be in the range of 1:4 ~ 1:8, its not really a macro lens but the ext tube can somewhat get u closer to the action. price wise, the 50-200mm is about $1800. that i must say is a very good deal. just take a peep at other camps that offer this range & quality.

with a budget of $2k, its very limitting for choice. if i m not wrong, Oly offer a 14-45mm to distinguish it from the pro lens. besides being a slower lens, theres no weather seal & the resolving power is not that strong too. just look at the resolving power nikon & canon kit lens u will know what i mean.

for macro, unless u r very hardcore, otherwise a normal hotshoe flash (FL36) with a reflector/bounce will do. Oly has 2 types of macro flashes just for macro photography but be warned, they r going to cost u.

is the E300 out yet?
    My friend just wrote from Tokyo and she went to the wrong shop who quoted her the list price (around $1700). It will be on sale from 3rd Dec. I will ask another colleague from Japan who will be here on Wed. I hv written in to the Ogisaku shop and being thick skin, asked if they agree to send it to Singapore. Let's see what I can do.
    Can you advise what the the resolving power, do you mean resolution or sharpness.
    $1,800 is quite ex for me. Perhaps, I will just do with the 14mm-45mm lens kit for the time being.
    Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayan
    Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my C-2100UZ to the E-300 when it ocmes out!
    urs still alive? mine died so many times I got fedup and bought another cam
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

My friend just wrote from Tokyo and she went to the wrong shop who quoted her the list price (around $1700). It will be on sale from 3rd Dec. I will ask another colleague from Japan who will be here on Wed. I hv written in to the Ogisaku shop and being thick skin, asked if they agree to send it to Singapore. Let's see what I can do.
    Can you advise what the the resolving power, do you mean resolution or sharpness.
    $1,800 is quite ex for me. Perhaps, I will just do with the 14mm-45mm lens kit for the time being.

wah!! u got so many lobangs!! next time got any gadget want to get from japan, can tompang u or not?

anyway, if your friend bought it in japan, any tax rebate or not? heard that if u r a tourist, u get to have tax rebate & the items will be a lot cheaper.

resolving power meant how much detail can be made inteliigible. the 14-54mm pro lens is sharp but its not as detail as the 50-200mm. the 50mm so far has the best detail & sharpness. well, good lens cost money. u want to have outstanding quality, u need to pay top dollar for it. look at the new 150mm F2, very very outstanding quality.

sure, other camps has 3rd party lenses but when u want the best, eg, nikon 17-35mm F2.8, no tamron or sigma comes close with their 17-35mm ver.

also considering that u r going into macro, u really have to pay big dough for that 50mm lens. well, time to save up. what can i say?

Hello Serene,

Olympus intends the 14-45 and the 40-150 to be price competitive with the 300D & D70s when the E300 launches. While these lenses represents their 'consumer' lines, the optical performance (at least for the 40-150) isn't consumer grade as evidenced by an owner's sample at dpreview ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11032433

The smaller maximum apertures do make for a dimmer viewfinder, so you may wish to brush up on manual focusing for situations where the pop-up flash (not IR) AF illuminator is too distracting.

That said, the E300 IS a fine camera.

I managed to get a Japan colleague to send me the camera - hooray. He admitted that the shop at Ogisaku is among one of the cheapest(it was actually a lead from our fellow CS member, see posts a few pages back). Now the hard part is to send the money across as banks impose heavy charges on the receipent (about $200) so am trying to get someone to bring the $ for me... I think I will be taxed GST upon arrival but it will still be approx $250 cheaper compared to S$ prices.

Maybe when I make a trip to Japan next time, will let you know can tompang or not. I learnt that there is a big second hand market there and Japanese keep their items very well. So may be possible to get a good Oly lens at a good price...
    Last edited by serene; 16th November 2004 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy
    Hello Serene,

Olympus intends the 14-45 and the 40-150 to be price competitive with the 300D & D70s when the E300 launches. While these lenses represents their 'consumer' lines, the optical performance (at least for the 40-150) isn't consumer grade as evidenced by an owner's sample at dpreview ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11032433

The smaller maximum apertures do make for a dimmer viewfinder, so you may wish to brush up on manual focusing for situations where the pop-up flash (not IR) AF illuminator is too distracting.

That said, the E300 IS a fine camera.
    Hi
    Thanks for the link. I think the lens tone is good. But somehow, I would like to have
    (1) Shallower DOF so that the subject looks more real (can this be corrected using a more appropiate lens or a different aperture?)
    (2) Prefer to see a larger tomato. Has this got to do with the magnification?

Hello Serene,

I suppose DOF as a factor of subject reality is subjective. In the thread provided, the tomatoes were shot at max focal length & aperture, both of these reduces DOF which may not be to an extent you desire. However, subject distance too affects DOF, the minimum focusing distance comes into play ie. a lens with that has a lower minimum focus distance is able to produce a greater out of focus effect.

Oly's website lists the magnification factors of boths lenses as:

14-45 mm, 0.16x (equivalent to 0.32x on a 35 mm film camera), 0.38 m-infinity
    40-150 mm, 0.12x (equivalent to 0.24x on a 35mm film camera), 1.5 m-infinity

If you have an affinity for macrophotography & you wish to min DOF, you will find that you can obtain a fill your viewfinder will more of subject (larger tomato to speak) with the 14-45mm than the 40-150mm.

But if you compare with the higher spec'd 14-54 & 50-200 Digital Zuiko's,
    0.26x ( 35mm equivalent Maximum Image Magnification 0.52x , 8.67 inches/0.22m
    0.21x ( 35mm equivalent Maximum Image Magnification 0.42x ), 3.9 feet/1.2m

You will achieve stronger out-of-focus effect by virtue of their greater max apertures & the shorter min. focusing distance of the professional zooms.

In honesty, in the realm of macrophotography where DOF is razor thin, I favour greater-than-35mm equivalent DOF of the 4/3 lenses (ie. greater zone of focus rather than less) because stopping down for adequate DOF gives me problems with lighting & it's effect on shutter speeds. A tilt n' shift macro lens would be ideal, but that's not even on Oly's digital lensmap.

But the 50mm is a FINE piece of glass to take a tomato with :-)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast