Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Focus infinity ...

  1. #1

    Default Focus infinity ...

    Hi,
    Does anyone of u guys knows how to focus infinity on nikon 18 - 105mm ???
    Coz there is no indicator ..

    Just Shoot It ...

  2. #2
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Point your cam to a cloud in the sky or some faraway object. Press the shutter button halfway. It should lock on to infinity. Then switch to manual to lock the focus so that when you point it elsewhere, it won't AF.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Point your cam to a cloud in the sky or some faraway object. Press the shutter button halfway. It should lock on to infinity. Then switch to manual to lock the focus so that when you point it elsewhere, it won't AF.
    Wow that was brilliant ... Thanks UncleFai
    Just Shoot It ...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    well.. brilliant

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by alansteve777 View Post
    well.. brilliant
    Deserves to be made sticky, no doubts ...
    EOS

  6. #6

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    i'm using a canon, but i believe nikon should have similar things:
    try using dedicate button to autofocus instead of halfpress the shutter.
    it takes some getting used to but once you get used to, you need not bother about setting the lens on manual focus.
    just press the dedicate button to focus and the shutter to shoot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Deserves to be made sticky, no doubts ...
    oooo reallly??
    Lousy de My Flickr

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by seet View Post
    i'm using a canon, but i believe nikon should have similar things:
    try using dedicate button to autofocus instead of halfpress the shutter.
    it takes some getting used to but once you get used to, you need not bother about setting the lens on manual focus.
    just press the dedicate button to focus and the shutter to shoot.
    Ermm... what if it is too dark to attain a focus lock? Or if there is a 10-stop ND filter infront of the lens?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Turn your focus ring clockwise one full round, then turn back a little bit.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  10. #10

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Turn your focus ring clockwise one full round, then turn back a little bit.
    hmmm... i guess you have to make sure you turn it back enough (at least take a test shot and check the focus). however, once you're within the hyperfocal range for that aperture setting it should be okay.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Ermm... what if it is too dark to attain a focus lock? Or if there is a 10-stop ND filter infront of the lens?
    sorry, so far, my lens all got FTM so can manual focus when in AF mode. if no FTM, still need to set to manual focus.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    My suggestion is only a rough estimate. But you can go top far off from it.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    oooo reallly??
    Brilliant things are worth to be made sticky
    EOS

  14. #14
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Brilliant things are worth to be made sticky
    oooooooh... true true..
    Lousy de My Flickr

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Focus infinity ...

    Quote Originally Posted by seet View Post
    sorry, so far, my lens all got FTM so can manual focus when in AF mode. if no FTM, still need to set to manual focus.
    So in the end you need to use MF also... Isn't it the same? I rather switch to MF, when I know I will be shooting MF the entire morning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •