Thread: B+W ND 110 or Hitech 10 stop filter

Default B+W ND 110 or Hitech 10 stop filter

Hi guys, been trying to decide which type of 10-stop filter i should get. I cant decide because i was thinking which one would be better not in terms of performance, but in terms of usage. I was thinking of getting the hitech one because i can easily remove or slot in the filter when changing my set up. But for the b+w it would take time to screw in/out the filter and a lot of seconds would be wasted.

Can anyone advise me on this problem? Which would you guys choose or which have you choosen? i have read threads that were discussing screw in or slot in but those were discussing in terms of performance, colour cast etc. cant really find anything regarding the usage of the filters.

Im still trying to read more to find out which one would be better in terms of performance, colour cast or IR leakage those kind of problems but i would like to find out which would be more convenient to use as i dont wish to buy both and try out.

I have been using my CPL and GND 0.9 for my landscape tryouts and i thought that the 10-stop filter would provide better captures of the calm water. Am i correct to say this?

Default Re: B+W ND 110 or Hitech 10 stop filter

NO doubt B+W !!!!!
    Just Shoot It ...

B+w *thumbs up*

You have to decide for yourself. I'd switch from B+W nd110 to Hitech 10 stop filter. Both have color cast problem (B+W red, HiTech (lee big stopper too) blue). Have to remove via individual colour hue/saturation decrease. The reason for switch is to consolidate all my filters as square filters. If I've have an affordable choice for 100mm filters, I would also want to get a CPL for square filter system. Too bad the one from Lee is outragously expensive..... ($400+)
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

In terms of performance, color cast = B+W is better, no question. I tried this out and the shot had no discernable color shift.

In terms of convenience, HiTech Pro, much easier to install and check composition and remove. Color cast can be corrected but it takes time.
    Once I had to change/upsize my filters, I gave up on B+W for ND, although I still personally like them.

As for CPLs, I find that if you shoot in RAW, you can tweak the saturation all you want till you're happy.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

After reading those reviews and comparisons and also help from you guys here I think I would get the b+w to try out and see how it goes. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C
    In terms of performance, color cast = B+W is better, no question. I tried this out and the shot had no discernable color shift.

In terms of convenience, HiTech Pro, much easier to install and check composition and remove. Color cast can be corrected but it takes time.
    Once I had to change/upsize my filters, I gave up on B+W for ND, although I still personally like them.

As for CPLs, I find that if you shoot in RAW, you can tweak the saturation all you want till you're happy.
    Still can't deal with reflection..

Well I would say in terms of quality. The performance is up to you .

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...rmatt-Pro-ND10

for color cast, shoot in raw. then enter WB value in ACR ~7700 and tint about 66 (works fine for me generally). this is a base to start you off in the correction workflow. after that, tweak the individual RGB curves, or use LAB saturation adjustments
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Hi guys, been trying to decide which type of 10-stop filter i should get. I cant decide because i was thinking which one would be better not in terms of performance, but in terms of usage. I was thinking of getting the hitech one because i can easily remove or slot in the filter when changing my set up. But for the b+w it would take time to screw in/out the filter and a lot of seconds would be wasted.

Can anyone advise me on this problem? Which would you guys choose or which have you choosen? i have read threads that were discussing screw in or slot in but those were discussing in terms of performance, colour cast etc. cant really find anything regarding the usage of the filters.

Im still trying to read more to find out which one would be better in terms of performance, colour cast or IR leakage those kind of problems but i would like to find out which would be more convenient to use as i dont wish to buy both and try out.

I have been using my CPL and GND 0.9 for my landscape tryouts and i thought that the 10-stop filter would provide better captures of the calm water. Am i correct to say this?
    So far, I haven't come across a 10-stop filter which does not have any colour cast. The colour cast shall not be a problem if you shoot RAW and I don't see any reason for you not to do so. Personally I prefer B+W becos it's a screw-on filter and is easier to manage.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Still can't deal with reflection..
    OTOH, reflection can be useful if used artistically. Some actually prefer to have it.
    It all depends on the shot.
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...rmatt-Pro-ND10

for color cast, shoot in raw. then enter WB value in ACR ~7700 and tint about 66 (works fine for me generally). this is a base to start you off in the correction workflow. after that, tweak the individual RGB curves, or use LAB saturation adjustments
    Thanks for the guidelines. I'll try it out.

OTOH, reflection can be useful if used artistically. Some actually prefer to have it.
    It all depends on the shot.
    I agree, but there are times when you just dun want them. Just dunno how to do so with a 100mm sq filter system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I agree, but there are times when you just dun want them. Just dunno how to do so with a 100mm sq filter system.
    If you must have a CPL, then better to get the round type. One test done rated the Hoya HD and Marumi Super-DHG best, with Heliopan and B+W coming 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Thanks for the guidelines. I'll try it out.
    Another way to correct WB bro, if you are using Lightroom, is to use the "dropper" tool and click on any color neutral area (back, grey or white). And it will readjust the WB based on that. Then you can fine tune to your personal tastes.

In PS, you need to do it in curves. You need to use the 3 droppers "black point" "grey point" and "white point". It is a little more involved. Here is a video (scroll down for the video tutorial) to show you how:
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/to...nce-photoshop/

Actually, don't have to be too worried about color cast correction, as somehow I usually prefer my 10 stop long exposures in monochrome instead..more character, and puts more emphasis on how the filter has altered the picture (moving clouds, calm water, people) etc..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

If you must have a CPL, then better to get the round type. One test done rated the Hoya HD and Marumi Super-DHG best, with Heliopan and B+W coming 2nd and 3rd respectively.
    Sorry that i did not state clearly, I meant CPL with square filters use hand in hand. Right now I'm risk screwing the sq filter adapter onto my CPL, adjust the polarize ring with my adapter on then mount only one square filter.