Thread: South America in Sept

Default South America in Sept

Hey there!
    I am planning for a backpacking trip (alone) to South America this coming Sept.
    Main interests are natural sceneries (trekking) and ancient ruins.
    Intending to stay about 30 days.

I hope to visit these places:

Argentina:
    Bueno Aires
    Iguazu Fall
    National Glacier Park (Fitz Roy Massif)

Chile/Argentina:
    Patagonia

Brazil:
    Rio de Janeiro
    Some parts of Amazon

Ecuador:
    Galapogos Island

Peru:
    Machu Picchu and Inca trail

Hope to get some tips from fellow backpackers. =)

Also, is it better to arrive in Buenos Aires or in Sao Paolo?
    Air tix price seems to be about the same for both (around SGD 2k on Qatar Airways).

Default Re: South America in Sept

Hi Bro .. wat kinda tips are you looking for?

Not to sure which in better cuz i flew into Lima and if not wrong the fare was 1.5k 1 way.

FYI, i didnt do the whole route that u'r planning to do, minus Brazil and Ecuador.

30D? Even if you fly all about, I think you'll still need to take out some countries.

For trekking & sceneries, Patagonia and Peru is fabulous, so I would put more days there!

Quote Originally Posted by askaboutlife View Post
    Hey there!
    I am planning for a backpacking trip (alone) to South America this coming Sept.
    Main interests are natural sceneries (trekking) and ancient ruins.
    Intending to stay about 30 days.

I hope to visit these places:

Argentina:
    Bueno Aires
    Iguazu Fall
    National Glacier Park (Fitz Roy Massif)

Chile/Argentina:
    Patagonia

Brazil:
    Rio de Janeiro
    Some parts of Amazon

Ecuador:
    Galapogos Island

Peru:
    Machu Picchu and Inca trail

Hope to get some tips from fellow backpackers. =)

Also, is it better to arrive in Buenos Aires or in Sao Paolo?
    Air tix price seems to be about the same for both (around SGD 2k on Qatar Airways).

I will be heading there in Oct. I plan to arrive in Buenos Aires and return from Rio de Janeiro. Doesn't seem like there is much to do or see in Sao Paulo so I will be skipping it totally.

If you happen to be in Buenos Aires in early Oct we could meet up for coffee, tea or mate. I would love to pick up any tips before I start my trip as well.

Try heading to Proa del Roraima. Venezuela for trekking.

Thanks to bros and sis for the help.
    Have read a few guidebooks and noted that sept is just out of winter time and not really the best time for trekking in southern Argentina. Hopefully can go there in March next year.

actually sept might be the best time for trekking in southern argentina if you can tahan the cold, because there are fewer tourists there. I was in patagonia a couple of years ago and went trekking in tierra del fuego national park for about 2 weeks during July. Didn't see any other trekkers apart from the park rangers during our 2 weeks in the park.

And you definitely need to take out some places. I spent 3 months backpacking in all the places you mentioned with the exception of Brazil, and still found that I wished to be able to spend more time in various places.

Hi. I'll be in Santiago, Chile in September if you want to go take pictures. The last few times I visited S.America, wasn't into photography but bought a camera this year. Unfortunately, hanging a camera, expensive or otherwise, in some of the cities can be an invitation to a mugging, so guess there's some safety in numbers.
    I've been through, by bus, a few of the passes between Argentina & Chile and most memorable was Paso Futalefu,
    Usually fly by Malaysian Airlines to Buenos Aires and catch a connecting flight by LANChile to Santiago.