Thread: Lines of disco light

Default Lines of disco light

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Lighting and composition. Area of choice, in enclosed balcony.
    Area of focus in this sort of photograhpy

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Streaks of light to create a feel of disco / party ambience.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Complete darkness.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think the refelections from the right on the right wall is asymmetrical, as in it only shows on the right but not the left. Sadly on the left is my window.

Side note:
    I want to start experimenting with lights,dark low key images.
    Other areas of interest is street photography but haven't get to that yet.

Default Re: Lines of disco light

It would help if you straightened the shot. The tilt is distracting.
    Alpha

Personally, I think the tilt works for me; it adds interest to the shot. I like the way the light reflects off the walls too. Great attempt!
    There are a few distracting elements in the shot, like the chair (?) and the yellow umbrella in the corner at the back. I think it'll help if you wore darker coloured clothes so you wouldn't show up in the shot too much.
    Just out of interest: did you press the shutter from the camera and moved over to the end of the corridor during the exposure? Trying to trace your light trail

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It would help if you straightened the shot. The tilt is distracting.
    Yes the tilt was on purpose when the damn tripod was giving me problems.
    I had to improvise.

Freebie tripod, my camera almost fell..

Quote Originally Posted by xenith0 View Post
    Personally, I think the tilt works for me; it adds interest to the shot. I like the way the light reflects off the walls too. Great attempt!
    There are a few distracting elements in the shot, like the chair (?) and the yellow umbrella in the corner at the back. I think it'll help if you wore darker coloured clothes so you wouldn't show up in the shot too much.
    Just out of interest: did you press the shutter from the camera and moved over to the end of the corridor during the exposure? Trying to trace your light trail
    I got too excited to make this, that i forgot to remove the shoe rack and the umbrella.
    Hmm. black clothing, i shall try that next time.
    Thanks for the tip.

Yes i press the shutter and moved to the end of the corridor and started dancing.

This is a start , will play with this outdoors soon..

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post
    I got too excited to make this, that i forgot to remove the shoe rack and the umbrella.
    Hmm. black clothing, i shall try that next time.
    Thanks for the tip.

Yes i press the shutter and moved to the end of the corridor and started dancing.

This is a start , will play with this outdoors soon..
    Haha cool. I see why you call it disco light. I look forward to seeing your work soon!

I LOVE the tilt. It really adds a sense of movement that makes sense, since this is to convey disco. There are so many 'fake tilt shots', especially of food, that have left me feeling disoriented and like the photographer is just tilting for the sake of it.

Here it really makes sense. The only thing, as others have mentioned, is the background. Make it look more like a club, and this will be mesmerising.