Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart Stopping Moment - DIY Sensor Cleaning

Default Re: Heart Stopping Moment - DIY Sensor Cleaning

Go buy some cheap sensor swap from cathay or other camera shop. Its not too expensive. Else if you have the money, buy artic Butterfly Sensor brush. About $190.
    I send mine to CSC and came back still dirty. And up fed up and got the Sensor brush. Works great and easy. Though kind of expensive for a cleaner. Can share with your friends with DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Go buy some cheap sensor swap from cathay or other camera shop. Its not too expensive. Else if you have the money, buy artic Butterfly Sensor brush. About $190.
    I send mine to CSC and came back still dirty. And up fed up and got the Sensor brush. Works great and easy. Though kind of expensive for a cleaner. Can share with your friends with DSLR.
    I always thumb down the artic butterfly after using it for a while.

It doesn't do much more than a good blower, and it doesn't clean welded dust.

I won't be able to survive this heart stopping moment why take risk I'ii send to CS and let
    the pro do the job.If we are able to spend the $$$$ on the camera why skim on the cleaning ?
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser
    I won't be able to survive this heart stopping moment why take risk I'ii send to CS and let
    the pro do the job.If we are able to spend the $$$$ on the camera why skim on the cleaning ?
    Initially i thought so that way but then i change my lens quite often outside and dust bounds to get to the sensor. I just counted that i spent 80+ last year just to clean my sensor 4 times... This year sent in once (trying to cut down) hence i decided to do the cleaning myself... It arent diffcult actually haha and i can clean better then CSC did now!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    I don't know how often you clean your camera, but I do it weekly.

You think Canon techs are special superhumans with built-in capabilities genetically engineered to clean sensors? They're normal humans like you and me, they do it in normal rooms like your house and mine, and they use the very same tools that you and I use.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but just to clarify, are you saying you self-clean the sensor weekly?

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but just to clarify, are you saying you self-clean the sensor weekly?
    Yes, what else could it be? I really dislike dust. Of course I don't have to do wet cleaning every time..

Yes, what else could it be? I really dislike dust. Of course I don't have to do wet cleaning every time..
    Ahh... okay,.... that was my next question. 'cos I heard wet cleaning too often actually damages the sensor. So you just use the blower weekly, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    Ahh... okay,.... that was my next question. 'cos I heard wet cleaning too often actually damages the sensor. So you just use the blower weekly, right?
    I also do wet cleaning. For the earlier cameras like the K100D and K20D, that was about once every 2 weeks, actually. Nowadays with the newer cameras, it's about once every 2 months. technology.

if anyone is scared to DIY and lazy to send it in, just clone them off in photoshop.

as my camera ages, i find that i'm too lazy to DIY clean like i used to
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    if anyone is scared to DIY and lazy to send it in, just clone them off in photoshop.

as my camera ages, i find that i'm too lazy to DIY clean like i used to
    if its a few specks of dust that's fine. but if its a colony of dust... good luck to you for cloning. i rather put my time to better use.

You think Canon techs are special superhumans with built-in capabilities genetically engineered to clean sensors? They're normal humans like you and me, they do it in normal rooms like your house and mine, and they use the very same tools that you and I use.
    I clean the sensor after every shoot just an ordinary blow job. If it do have stubborn stains or dust then I send it down to
    CSC.Not that the people at CSC are superhumans but it's the technical support for sensitive equipment like DSLR that
    at least give me a piece of mind.In fact just sent in for cleaning before 2 continous days of photoshoots last week.

Back in the film days I seldom sent the SLR for cleaning basically dust gather on the shutter mirror just blow or use Kodak Lens
    cleaning paper will do but with sensors I prefer a pro cleaning job.

I did quite a lot of cleaning when I am using my 40D, mainly just the blower and that does the trick. Of course I have a sensor swap that I use once in a while...

As for my 7D, so far so good, haven't do any cleaning yet...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by pansbulcem View Post
    Har? Blow job?
    As in using a dust blower lah

how much is the sensor swap?
    i think i may need to learn how to DIY.
    my worry is CSC dont do a good job and have to ask them to do again n again...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12