Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K5 Mirror Flopping?

Default Re: K5 Mirror Flopping?

Happened to me a bit today on a fresh battery, I just left the live view on to drain the battery a bit, and the problem sorta went away.

Until Pentax can figure this problem out and fix and return the camera in under 2 weeks, mine's not going in for repair just yet

Hi bro,

Just got my camera back today, took them a total of 1 month and 1 week to get it back. Camera seems to be working fine, even with a fully charged battery and the battery grip. All seems well.

I asked the tech what was the problem that Japan side reported, he went to check and said that it was just some CMOS cleaning and touch-up, said Japan never replace or do anything drastic to the camera. Well the camera seems to be working fine for now. But I don't know if Japan really did not do anything more than just cleaning, else why would it take so long to get the camera back, unless most of their technical staff was on vacation.

I am thinking the problem actually might take shorter than the duration i sent my camera in and maybe Japan side was trying to consolidate a build shipment before shipping back to Singapore. But my suggestion would be to send in the camera for repairs. I don't know if anyone knows what the actual problem is or how they are rectifying the problem, but I heard and feel also that if you don't get it looked at and the problem persists, the shutter may just as well die altogether. Just my 2 cents tho.

Hope this helps whoever is suffering from the mirror flopping issue. Also seems that most of the people that suffer from the problem have had their cameras used in places with difference climates.

P.S: They will also update your firmware if you have a version lower than 1.11
    Last edited by loathar; 8th August 2011 at 07:46 PM.

Just wondering if anyone's K-5 makes a short, sharp "bzzt" sound upon start-up and when waking up from standby. I thought it was the dust removal at work but I just turned it off today and the sound persisted. It seems softer when the lens is dismounted so I think it might involve the aperture control system. My K-5 suffers from the mirror flop disease, but I haven't had time to send it in for repairs yet, not with the 1-2 month turnaround time.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    Just wondering if anyone's K-5 makes a short, sharp "bzzt" sound upon start-up and when waking up from standby. I thought it was the dust removal at work but I just turned it off today and the sound persisted. It seems softer when the lens is dismounted so I think it might involve the aperture control system. My K-5 suffers from the mirror flop disease, but I haven't had time to send it in for repairs yet, not with the 1-2 month turnaround time.
    Yup, just tested it out. mine makes the same sound, exactly as you described.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    Yup, just tested it out. mine makes the same sound, exactly as you described.
    And your K-5 is working fine right? No flopping issues?

I have the same sound, and have had tt sound since i bought the camera? I always assumed its the camera powering up and the mirror moving into position.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    And your K-5 is working fine right? No flopping issues?
    nope, so far so good. can others chip in too? mine is k-5 silver..

I got the start-up sound too. I believe it is the Apeture hook from the camera jerk up and down when you turn on the camera. It made the same sound when you go to DOF preview. A little annoying sound imo.

I have the same sound.

Ok that's good, at least I know that isn't related to this mirror flop problem. Thought I had a really serious problem on my hands

i went to shop in funan and they said the batch that has mirror flopping is old batch and already recalled so new set should be ok, can i trust this ? any news ? i am really interested with k5 and this problem holding me from get one
    Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted

Quote Originally Posted by iamnubie View Post
    i went to shop in funan and they said the batch that has mirror flopping is old batch and already recalled so new set should be ok, can i trust this ? any news ? i am really interested with k5 and this problem holding me from get one
    Never heard of Pentax ever recalled anything. But don't worry about this mirror flopping issue. Only very rare chance you'd have one w/ flopping mirror issue

Most of us K5 users have been enjoy using the camera for more than 10 months w/o any problem. Hope you'd join us soon.

Cheers!

the amt of time spent worrying is opportunity cost... that's time i'ld rather spend using the camera, rather than worrying about a camera i do not have, and on problems that may not manifest

unless u have an alternative competing model that u're looking at and u're still researching if the camera and system meets your needs, i see no point worrying between buying now and buying the same thing a little later if u're already fixed on a particular model.

my set does have some problems (first batch) that i've sent in for fixing but that doesn't change the fact that its an awesome camera and there's nothing else i'ld rather use for my photography journey.

touch wood.
    my K5 Silver purchased from Emay did not experience mirror flopping.
    touch wood again.
    Pentax for Life

Don't worry too much.
    Firstly, it is not a common occurrence. Most people have the camera and are perfectly fine with it.
    Secondly, there is always the warranty
    Lastly, every other camera brand has its other problems if you dig around in the various forums.

Well, I just checked Jim Radcliffe's thread in PF, and it seems that Pentax has figured out what the root cause is. I guess that would mean that Emjay would know too, and it should be a straightforward fix now. They seem to be calling it a "mirror overrun" problem.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-found-15.html

In any case, I have not experienced any mirror flop issues, and I hope that I will not either.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 25th August 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Yup, mine will be going for repair once I'm back in Chicago! Finally!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123