Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Is there professional called photographer?

  1. #1

    Default Is there professional called photographer?

    Hi,

    Just curious, how is the photography market here? Wish to explore going freelance (hee in long term)... Seems like most photographers are freelance? Seldom they worked full time?

    ~ if only I can shoot all day with a camera than type all day in front of a computer

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Wow.. I want that too.. yes yes.. pray tell...

  3. #3
    Member tsumetiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westsider
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    That is also something I would like very much
    Think most ppl is full time day job = daily expenses
    Freelance photography assignment = photography equipment

    Correct me if I am wrong.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    there are many professional photographers in this forum but most of them keeping very low profile, you don't see them doesn't mean we don't exist.

    to work as photographers for full time, making a living ones need to be very hard working.
    in the contrary, we don't shoot all day all night long, we spend most of our time running a business, we usually spend less then 10-20% of our working hours behind the camera.

    btw, usually I work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, I'm sure many other photographers also doing the same.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    I think that's bound to happen once your photography becomes a business. Only other way to truly shoot is as a photojournalist for Nat Geo or a news network.. That's what I'd love to do tho.. Photojournalism.. Show everyone what the world is like thru my eyes.. hehe

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by leyash111 View Post
    ~ if only I can shoot all day with a camera than type all day in front of a computer
    Gosh... That will be tiring...

    If you like to shoot, you can work for photography company that do area which u like to shoot.

    U certainly don't have to run your own business to be full-time.

    Regards,

    Hart

  7. #7

    Default

    Yeah to run a business requires a lot of commitment and hard work... Guess going freelance is an alternative working for a company in photography sounds idea except the fact that I don't think I can give up my current career for it...

    the reality of life, to be practical at times...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by leyash111 View Post
    Yeah to run a business requires a lot of commitment and hard work... Guess going freelance is an alternative working for a company in photography sounds idea except the fact that I don't think I can give up my current career for it...

    the reality of life, to be practical at times...
    Exactly the same mentality that why there are not many full time photographer....

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    BTW, "freelance" doesn't necessarily mean "part-time", though admittedly most freelancers are casual shooters looking for side income.The shift from part-time side-income (extra money to buy gear!) to full-time business (money to put food on the table) can be a difficult one.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah, I actually thought of joining photography competition so that I can use the wining to fund my interest... That is provided if I have any special shot

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    BTW, "freelance" doesn't necessarily mean "part-time", though admittedly most freelancers are casual shooters looking for side income.The shift from part-time side-income (extra money to buy gear!) to full-time business (money to put food on the table) can be a difficult one.
    Yup.. I agree.. I've heard of Full-time freelancers.. But I don't think I've heard of any in Sunny SG.. Anyone?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    Yup.. I agree.. I've heard of Full-time freelancers.. But I don't think I've heard of any in Sunny SG.. Anyone?
    All my professional photographer friends in Singapore are full time freelancers with photography contributing mainly to their income.

    Thus far I had not meet any full time staff photog working for a company or studio with a fixed salary.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    All my professional photographer friends in Singapore are full time freelancers with photography contributing mainly to their income.

    Thus far I had not meet any full time staff photog working for a company or studio with a fixed salary.
    I see.. so I got it the other way round.. cos most photographers I know are either wedding business (personal), or for some publishing company.. lol... Cool..

  14. #14
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Freelance means independent contract service provider, not working under any company as an employee, it is working as full time, some places also classify as self employed.

    Freelancer is not part timers doing moonlighting,

    Freelancer is not working for FREE lunch.



    the photography services directory and service wanted sections get all the terms mixed up, many "photographers" inside there also get confuse about the proper use of the terms, how can we expect customers/clients able to understand better?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    Yup.. I agree.. I've heard of Full-time freelancers.. But I don't think I've heard of any in Sunny SG.. Anyone?
    Edit post - noticed Catchlights has already clarified the issue.
    Last edited by chanjyj; 22nd July 2011 at 11:40 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    All my professional photographer friends in Singapore are full time freelancers with photography contributing mainly to their income.

    Thus far I had not meet any full time staff photog working for a company or studio with a fixed salary.
    I was a fixed salary staff in my previous company. Other than me there are 2 other photographers. No assistants so we double up as support staff.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Shooting as a hobby(for fun) and shooting as a career(for current & future main income) are totally different thing.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Freelance means independent contract service provider, not working under any company as an employee, it is working as full time, some places also classify as self employed.

    Freelancer is not part timers doing moonlighting,

    Freelancer is not working for FREE lunch.



    the photography services directory and service wanted sections get all the terms mixed up, many "photographers" inside there also get confuse about the proper use of the terms, how can we expect customers/clients able to understand better?
    Whoa... Nobody said Freelance = Part time / moonlighting.. I think that's what we're trying to drive here. Pls chill... There are newbies here who just wanna learn.. Sorry if we offended you.

  19. #19
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    a better way might be to just sign up a "sole proprietor" ...

    and call urself chief photographer of XYZ company hahaha

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is there professional called photographer?

    Or call yourself entrepreneur after you set up the company.

    But it really doesn't matter what you call yourself... Just enjoy your work and that is more important.

    But do remember one thing, photography is a lifestyle job, while you can get rich from it, it shouldn't be the motivation. Money only come when you are good at something and people buy what you are good at.

    Hart
    Last edited by Agetan; 22nd July 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •