View Poll Results: Which brand of 24-70 f2.8 to go with your D700 or any Nikon body

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

    7 20.00%
  • Tokina 28-70 AT X pro f/2.8

    9 25.71%
  • Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

    19 54.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: D700 + which lens?

  1. #1

    Default D700 + which lens?

    Evening ppl,
    Thanks for sparing the extra time out to help me deciding which lens.. haha...
    I just sold most of my canon equip and bought a D700, SB900 and a 50f1.8...
    Seriously Nikon rocks to the max...
    But now i'm wan to get a 24-70 f2.8...
    Nikon 24-70 cost approx 2k plus minus which kinds of over my budget limit...
    I'm deciding between tokina, tamron or sigma 24-70 f2.8...
    Which one would you recommand personally
    Canon going nikon way...

  2. #2
    Member sf_kang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Since u already hv the 50mm/1.8, u should not buy the 24-70mm. Instead, u should consider either:
    A) 17-35mm/2.8 ( u can buy a good condition used lens) or
    B) 70-200/2.8 VR or 80-200/2.8.
    U r better off using the 50mm/1.8 n walking a little forwards or backwards to cover distance between 35 and 70.
    I hv a 24-70/2.8 Nikon lens, but end up hv the 50mm/1.4 on the D700 most of the time.
    Fred
    Nikon (D3s, D700), Fujifilm (X-Pro 1, X-E1, GF670), Hasselblad (503CXi, 903SWC)

  3. #3

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    have you considered the 24-120 f/4?
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

  4. #4

    Default

    Well the 50mm's gd for portraits and low-light shooting.

    Why not get a 18-200 to cover the whole range?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    509

    Default

    14-24mm F2.8. But I don't know the price. If it is over budget, don't blame me..haha. But anyway, why don't you save up for the 24-70 F2.8?

  6. #6
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanomoto View Post
    Well the 50mm's gd for portraits and low-light shooting.

    Why not get a 18-200 to cover the whole range?
    he got a d700 n the 18-200 is a DX only lens -.-
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irvine

    he got a d700 n the 18-200 is a DX only lens -.-
    Ouh sorry! Still i big noob.

  8. #8
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by kimazuru View Post
    Evening ppl,
    Thanks for sparing the extra time out to help me deciding which lens.. haha...
    I just sold most of my canon equip and bought a D700, SB900 and a 50f1.8...
    Seriously Nikon rocks to the max...
    But now i'm wan to get a 24-70 f2.8...
    Nikon 24-70 cost approx 2k plus minus which kinds of over my budget limit...
    I'm deciding between tokina, tamron or sigma 24-70 f2.8...
    Which one would you recommand personally

    the tamron seems great, as proved by our fellow bro dd123.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...28#post7062728

    his test shots with the tamron were all taken on d700

    btw TS, u can also consider nikon's own AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 as well. it's the predecessor of the current AF-S 24-70 f/2.8. only can be found 2nd hand though
    Last edited by Irvine; 20th July 2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by sf_kang View Post
    Since u already hv the 50mm/1.8, u should not buy the 24-70mm. Instead, u should consider either:
    A) 17-35mm/2.8 ( u can buy a good condition used lens) or
    B) 70-200/2.8 VR or 80-200/2.8.
    U r better off using the 50mm/1.8 n walking a little forwards or backwards to cover distance between 35 and 70.
    I hv a 24-70/2.8 Nikon lens, but end up hv the 50mm/1.4 on the D700 most of the time.
    Fred
    u got a point bro, but if i'm shooting for some of my company event with a prime i would be stuck.
    I'll take 17-35 f2/8 into consideration.. thanks alot man
    Canon going nikon way...

  10. #10

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Not yet...Now that you mention it.. I might.. haha...
    Canon going nikon way...

  11. #11

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    the tamron seems great, as proved by our fellow bro dd123.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...28#post7062728

    his test shots with the tamron were all taken on d700

    btw TS, u can also consider nikon's own AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 as well. it's the predecessor of the current AF-S 24-70 f/2.8. only can be found 2nd hand though
    Thanks man i've consider that but 28-70 f2.8 like hard to find only.. hahaha..
    Canon going nikon way...

  12. #12

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanomoto View Post
    Ouh sorry! Still i big noob.
    Hey no worries man... C= there's a 28-300 for fx if i'm not wrong but i'm looking for a more f2.8 constant... haha unless they have like 28-300 f2.8 vc or something would worth the money man
    Canon going nikon way...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    I m currently using a 17-35, 50, 85, 135, 180. before that had the 17 35, 50, 80-200. I find that the 17-35 has more creative potential than the 28-70 range, and i ve found it indispensable when it comes to fulll body portraits and involving the landscape. I would suggest getting that lens first.

    if i were to get a 28-70 range, i ll definitely go with the tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8. i ve used it a couple of times, and its quite impressive. the only issue is it flares a little so would be best to get it with original hood. the 28-80 2.8 is decent too, but quite soft at 80 so no realy gain. DO NOT get the 'AT-X pro SV' version. the 'sv' is a budget version and doesnt perform as well.
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 21st July 2011 at 11:46 AM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  14. #14

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    I m currently using a 17-35, 50, 85, 135, 180. before that had the 17 35, 50, 80-200. I find that the 17-35 has more creative potential than the 28-70 range, and i ve found it indispensable when it comes to fulll body portraits and involving the landscape. I would suggest getting that lens first.

    if i were to get a 28-70 range, i ll definitely go with the tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8. i ve used it a couple of times, and its quite impressive. the only issue is it flares a little so would be best to get it with original hood. the 28-80 2.8 is decent too, but quite soft at 80 so no realy gain. DO NOT get the 'AT-X pro SV' version. the 'sv' is a budget version and doesnt perform as well.
    Cool.. kind of make sense as well.. anyway i saw your site, great pictures you have there...
    Anyway i just bought a SB900... the dial for the on and off to remote and master... on and off is smooth and easy to turn but it turns very tight when i need to switch to remote and master mode... is it normal?
    Canon going nikon way...

  15. #15

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by kimazuru View Post
    Anyway i just bought a SB900... the dial for the on and off to remote and master... on and off is smooth and easy to turn but it turns very tight when i need to switch to remote and master mode... is it normal?
    Yes, it's normal. You'll have to press the button and turn the switch simultaneously to access remote and master modes.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    If you get either 16-35 or 17-35 and 85 1.4 should be a good start, my 2 cents... Really it depends on what you shoot... do you need to get close etc... figure that out and it will help you to decide.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Tamron....cheap and good

  18. #18
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    I m currently using a 17-35, 50, 85, 135, 180. before that had the 17 35, 50, 80-200. I find that the 17-35 has more creative potential than the 28-70 range, and i ve found it indispensable when it comes to fulll body portraits and involving the landscape. I would suggest getting that lens first.

    if i were to get a 28-70 range, i ll definitely go with the tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8. i ve used it a couple of times, and its quite impressive. the only issue is it flares a little so would be best to get it with original hood. the 28-80 2.8 is decent too, but quite soft at 80 so no realy gain. DO NOT get the 'AT-X pro SV' version. the 'sv' is a budget version and doesnt perform as well.
    Yes, for the Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8 only the Pro I and Pro II versions (2nd and 3rd versions) are worth looking at. How to differentiate the models? This site will show you how: http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2009/...mm-f26-28.html

    Seriously, the tokina is very hard to come by now. I see a copy or two once in a while, and they usually have some issues. Most of the time they are overpriced. Fair price on these lenses, in good to mint condition with hood, are around $300-400. If you pay over 400 for one, you have paid too much.

    Quote Originally Posted by kimazuru View Post
    Thanks man i've consider that but 28-70 f2.8 like hard to find only.. hahaha..
    As for Tamron 28-75/2.8, it is actually sharper than the Tokina (any version). And they are readily available since they are still being produced and sold new. You can pretty much grab a brand new copy in most shops for slightly under $600. Be sure to test the lens with your camera body before you pay for it, when buying new or used. And do note that front or back focusing does not necessarily mean bad QC. It depends on your camera body a lot. My copy of the 2875 is tack sharp on the D700. But when mounted to the D300s, it front focuses. Downsides to the Tamron are slightly slower AF speed.

    A fellow CSer just did a comparison of the sigma HSM and the Tamron. You can see it here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...-F2.8-XR-Di-LD

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by daredevil123; 22nd July 2011 at 08:58 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    if in your shoes, i'd go with the tamron.

  20. #20

    Default Re: D700 + which lens?

    none of the above..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •