Thread: Query about IQ on focal length (FL) of 200mm and 300mm

Default Query about IQ on focal length (FL) of 200mm and 300mm

Hi bros, I have a query on cropping of photos taken from FL of 200mm and 270mm.
    I recently took a photo of the moon from my Canon 70-200 F4 L lens (FL @ 200mm)and cropped the photo when doing PP.
    The IQ was not as sharp compared to the same shot taken from the Tamron 18-270 PZD (FL @ 270mm), same cropped size as well.
    Is it due to different FL despite the Canon being a 'superior' lens than the Tamron?
    Or should I get the calibration done?
    I am using the 550D body.
    Thks!

Default Re: Query about IQ on focal length (FL) of 200mm and 300mm

200mm and 270mm will definitely have a noticeable difference. The longer focal length will result in the moon having a higher "magnification" on the sensor, thus giving the appearance that it's sharper.

Also, you should know that lenses are generally sharper when stopped down - the 70-200 would be sharper at f/5.6 or f/8 than at f/4.

Try shooting with the Tamron at 200mm, f/5.6 and the Canon at 200mm, f/5.6 and compare. That would be fairer.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    200mm and 270mm will definitely have a noticeable difference. The longer focal length will result in the moon having a higher "magnification" on the sensor, thus giving the appearance that it's sharper.

Also, you should know that lenses are generally sharper when stopped down - the 70-200 would be sharper at f/5.6 or f/8 than at f/4.

Try shooting with the Tamron at 200mm, f/5.6 and the Canon at 200mm, f/5.6 and compare. That would be fairer.
    If I'm not wrong, I think the aperture has reached F/6.3 @ 200mm for tamron.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Thks for the simple but vy clear explanation.. Much appreciated. Been trying to get it as sharp as the Tammy the whole night..

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye

If I'm not wrong, I think the aperture has reached F/6.3 @ 200mm for tamron.
    Not sure as I hv since sold the Tammy.. But at 270mm it's f6.3

I am also aware that each lens hv their own 'sweet' spots. Meaning being IQ being sharpest at a particular f. I tried by taking a scene at different f but could not really tell the diff between f8-f16 for most of the Canon lens I own. From the collective experiences here, is there a better way to do this?

Default Re: Query about IQ on focal length (FL) of 200mm and 300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Omahom View Post
    I am also aware that each lens hv their own 'sweet' spots. Meaning being IQ being sharpest at a particular f. I tried by taking a scene at different f but could not really tell the diff between f8-f16 for most of the Canon lens I own. From the collective experiences here, is there a better way to do this?
    All i usually gather about sweet spot info from lens reviews and testings. I usually use the required aperture for my shots.
    I guess if you really want, you can shoot a same scene with a wide variety of apertures and identify 100% pixel peep from there.

However the effects of the aperture is probably more important than fine print sharpness.

Ryan