Thread: Interestedd in Studion shoot

Default Interestedd in Studion shoot

i am very interesyed in studio shoot, mostly still life.

Does it mean i have to get those expensive strobe that cost thousands of dollars?

Default Re: Interestedd in Studion shoot

Not necessarily. Depending on what your specific aims are, you could:
    - buy inexpensive strobes / continuous lights (some make do with table lamps - it can be done)
    - take a course - one that gives you hands on experience can help you determine what gear to buy later
    - sign up for a group shoot - gives you some experience, and the opp to pick the brains of other photographers

Do a bit of basic online research - a google search for "home photo studio" will give lots of ideas and budget-minded ideas too.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by leumasfotos
    i am very interesyed in studio shoot, mostly still life.

Does it mean i have to get those expensive strobe that cost thousands of dollars?
    You mean like "Product Photography"?
    Just search around. "Still Life" is quite broad. Even "Product Photography" is so vague. Can be anything from jewellery to cars or much larger
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

If you shoot smaller objects, a light tent, a hotshoe cable, and a speedlite is all you need most of the times.

I only use one light source (continuous light with softbox), some white cards, mirrors, with blu tack, stationary clip and bookends to hold the white cards or mirror. using white laminated sheet aka formica as background to shoot some of the everyday objects for my stock images. the whole set up cost less than $200.00.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I only use one light source (continuous light with softbox), some white cards, mirrors, with blu tack, stationary clip and bookends to hold the white cards or mirror. using white laminated sheet aka formica as background to shoot some of the everyday objects for my stock images. the whole set up cost less than $200.00.

if you want to learn lighting techniques should go by this method. Full control vs relying on the qualities of the light tent. There are some reasons why a light tent is better, but you'll only know when & why after learning the pros & cons of each method.

Up to you, either be a good technical product photographer or a light tent product photographer.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 20th July 2011 at 12:20 PM.