Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Portrait Photography. . .

  1. #1

    Default Portrait Photography. . .

    Hey all. I'm kinda desperate right now. I'm going to try out taking photos of a friend(girl) I asked to help me model. Anyone knows a good location to shoot for a portrait photography? I'm going to try out the Bukit Timah Railway Station. Other than that, I have no clue where else to go. Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Gecko View Post
    Hey all. I'm kinda desperate right now. I'm going to try out taking photos of a friend(girl) I asked to help me model. Anyone knows a good location to shoot for a portrait photography? I'm going to try out the Bukit Timah Railway Station. Other than that, I have no clue where else to go. Any suggestions?
    What's the theme?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    I was thinking of "Beauty within spaces". . . or somewhere along the lines of it. . . hehe, kind of impromptu shooting actually. I know the theme sounds kind of funny. :P

  4. #4

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Gecko View Post
    I was thinking of "Beauty within spaces". . . or somewhere along the lines of it. . . hehe, kind of impromptu shooting actually. I know the theme sounds kind of funny. :P
    Sounds more like an indoor theme to me but haha its your shoot Anything you require? Like tall grass, wide open spaces or anything? I might not know the places but narrowing down to specifics will help others recommend.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Hmm yea, sounds like an indoor theme. Now i know why it sounds kinda funny. hahaha.
    Alright then, i'll just list my thoughts. I think its better that way.

    I'm thinking of an outdoor photoshoot. Somewhere i can take pictures privately, so that nobody will disturb me (and of course so that my friend feels comfortable modeling). It can be anywhere, be it filled with tall grasses, trees, or even an urban landscape. I have an idea of taking pictures of her on the railway and also the station itself. There's also this idea of taking pictures of her surrounded by buildings. What i want to capture from her is not her figure, but the gleaming personality that comes out from her cheeky eyes and smiles.

    I hope this would be much more informative for anyone to help me through this impromptu photoshoot. I would like to thank in advance if anyone could input somethings for me.

    *bows* m(_ _)m

  6. #6

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    beauty within spaces? sounds like planking to me.

    beauty within spaces. why am i thinking of a barbie doll in a box? that would be a good theme, if you can package it right

  7. #7

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    sounds like an indoor theme to me too.

    anyway, for outdoors shoot, you won't be disturbed anyway, unless you are shooting at places with security guards which might chase you away.
    btw, the railway tracks are out of bound already.

    popular outdoor locations to shoot would be:
    - Clarkquay
    - Merchant Square
    - Boat Quay
    - Fort Canning Park
    - Dhoby Ghaut Green
    - Chinese / Japanese Garden
    etc etc

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    I would imagine Fort Canning Hill... there's a fort there with big iron door (if you get what I mean). Well... since the theme is beauty within spaces, you can make use of the doors (or gate) to get the shots, or can even travel within that fort to have your shots.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Beauty within spaces...

    first thing that came to my mind was a "confined space". Like what rhino123 said, make use of the doors.

    Last time I tried taking a picture of my friend standing between the carriage separations of the Sentosa train and it turned out really nice. Only problem is, getting a full body shot is hard cos its really really crowded.

    One thing you need to take note is, make sure your model is comfortable with walking to the places you are thinking of. Be mindful of her safety and if its too sunny, you need to be make sure she doesn't complain or you need to really be fast with your entire photoshoot.

    Have fun!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Hmm ... I'm thinking of shopping mall ... a rather small path with shops on both sides ... slow shutter speed to blur other people passing by ... sharp window dressing to show depth, but preferably with rather dull contents to avoid shifting attention to the shops ... utilise ceiling light to create glow from the back.

    How's that for an idea heck I might try this myself if I think I can get my model to stand still :P
    A7 | FE 55 1.8 Z | NEX-5 | E 10-18 | E 55-210

  11. #11

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jennzhen View Post
    Hmm ... I'm thinking of shopping mall ... a rather small path with shops on both sides ... slow shutter speed to blur other people passing by ... sharp window dressing to show depth, but preferably with rather dull contents to avoid shifting attention to the shops ... utilise ceiling light to create glow from the back.

    How's that for an idea heck I might try this myself if I think I can get my model to stand still :P
    Most shopping centers will not allow photoshoots within their premises without a permit, setting up of a tripod will definitely attract security personnel.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Well. . . I guess by now most of you will be thinking "hey yeah, it does sound like an indoor theme". . . hahahaha

    In any case, I use the word "space" for the definition "area", just FYI for all of you.

    Thanks for the ideas. Will definitely think about the locations you all suggested.

    And sadly, shopping centers wont allow you to take pics inside. I tried it before, i got nagged by security (>__<)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    beauty within spaces? sounds like planking to me.

    beauty within spaces. why am i thinking of a barbie doll in a box? that would be a good theme, if you can package it right
    No, not planking. . . why i want a girl to plank? XD
    And Barbie doll in a box might sound like a good idea, but its gonna take awhile for me to think of how to take pics that way. . . hehe

  14. #14

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Most shopping centers will not allow photoshoots within their premises without a permit, setting up of a tripod will definitely attract security personnel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Gecko View Post
    And sadly, shopping centers wont allow you to take pics inside. I tried it before, i got nagged by security (>__<)
    Not allowed if you set-up tripod ... or not allowed at all? Like when you hangout with friends and take group picture ... also not allowed?
    I've never been caught by security before for taking casual photo ... just wondering what's their boundary ...
    A7 | FE 55 1.8 Z | NEX-5 | E 10-18 | E 55-210

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jennzhen

    Not allowed if you set-up tripod ... or not allowed at all? Like when you hangout with friends and take group picture ... also not allowed?
    I've never been caught by security before for taking casual photo ... just wondering what's their boundary ...
    It's pretty obvious what is a casual shoot and what is a photoshoot. Photoshoots are not allowed at all. The tripod sentence was referring to you wanting to do long exposures

  16. #16

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Hehe maybe go on weekdays to demsey which i thought would have lesser people.
    If first time a girl go out model model, can be quite shy one :P
    Pose pose hor..... not easy.....
    Or clark quay can take with the background of the colorful old post office..... or erm... Hongkong street during weekend which is less people but with alot of shop house, stairs and door.

    Btw, i am super new lar... so hor, my suggestion may be wrong but i used to work in Hongkong Street and weekend, there is quite quiet.


    OT : I very unlucky, everytime cleonbus open additional slot for the marina shooting, i always missed the chance. ( got pm him with the format )..... i think must come in more often liao!
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

  17. #17

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jennzhen View Post
    Not allowed if you set-up tripod ... or not allowed at all? Like when you hangout with friends and take group picture ... also not allowed?
    I've never been caught by security before for taking casual photo ... just wondering what's their boundary ...

    Not allowed for photoshoot. Casual ones are ok. I tried talking to security about it. It seems that you will need permission from the management. And at that moment, i did not have the time to ask the management. hahahaha XD

  18. #18
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post

    OT : I very unlucky, everytime cleonbus open additional slot for the marina shooting, i always missed the chance. ( got pm him with the format )..... i think must come in more often liao!
    Wah lau... You join only a while ago and already had 1XX post (not implying anything, all your questions are pretty alright)... I thought you never leave CS at all... lol.

    Anyway... TS... my advise other than fort canning was any of those old buildings... one of them being the old fire station at the back of funan center (don't know can photoshoot there or not). Because your theme is 'beauty within space' it looked like the beauty of something being trapped or was within a specific area or location. So a door is a very good thing. It was like a portal whereby it opened to the beauty that are 'within'.

    However you not any door will do... best to go to old places like the fort in fort canning, whereby the place looked worn down, old and stuff... a beauty (your model) within that fort would definitely light up the scene and together with the 'portal' that opened to her.

    Well... anyway it was your theme... just ignore my post if don't like hor.
    Last edited by rhino123; 21st July 2011 at 12:05 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  19. #19

    Default Re: Portrait Photography. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    beauty within spaces? sounds like planking to me.

    beauty within spaces. why am i thinking of a barbie doll in a box? that would be a good theme, if you can package it right
    a friend of mine look just like ur avatar!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •