Thread: Aurora Trip - Canada + US Trip to Las Vegas / San Francisco

Default Aurora Trip - Canada + US Trip to Las Vegas / San Francisco

Hi,

I planning for a trip in Oct to Canada for Northern light (Aurora) viewing, followed by a tour to US (Las Vegas or San Francisco or Vancouver) for the rest of my trip.

I planning for a total of 16 days trip with 5 days in Canada, viewing Aurora and Rockie Mountain.

Anyone had similar itinerary on such trip? US trip preferable for sightseeing as well as shopping (branded bags)

Understand that US need Visa but Canada does not requires.

For rental of car, is there any issue if we to drive left hand drive? And is it true that US does not have refundable tax and need to pay frequent tax?

Default Re: Aurora Trip - Canada + US Trip to Las Vegas / San Francisco

Well.... Aurora viewing in Canada seems to be better in Churchill, Manitoba; Yukon, Yellowknife, or Wilderness Island - not sure it's within the Rockies area.

If you are holding Singapore passport, and not going to be in US longer than 90 days, you can just get the ESTA, no need Visa.

I have driven in US for a couple of trips, no issues - just remember that the driver side is nearer to the (middle) lane divider. However, if you are going to drive in places that are snowing, you need to learn how to drive correctly, as it can be a bit more difficult to maneuver - we don't face those kind of weather here, so we got no practice.

Different states got different tax rates and yes, it's not refundable as far as I know. Not too sure of the frequency in paying taxes... I think when you buy things you may have the taxes already in built into the pricing.

Yeah... taxes vary in different states and are not refundable... unless u are shopping at Duty Free. Most of the time, the price on the tags are before taxes.

U have to tip the service crew all the time.... and it's prob abt 10% of ur bill... for meals, unless u have a bigger party of 7 or more, they will include the gratitude in the bill... otherwise u have to do a bit of calculation. Same for taxis... also need to tip on top of the cab fare.. the service people in US depend largely on tips for their living...

Actually it's pretty much the same for Canada... also need to pay tax and gratitudes..

Quote Originally Posted by b0bble View Post

U have to tip the service crew all the time.... and it's prob abt 10% of ur bill... for meals, unless u have a bigger party of 7 or more, they will include the gratitude in the bill... otherwise u have to do a bit of calculation.
    Er? I thot the norm is 15%... 10% means lousy service and 20% means very good service (of course 0% means no service, but I am not sure if anyone ever did that)?!??! I have heard that in NY, no one will give below 15%, and usually it's more than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc
    Well.... Aurora viewing in Canada seems to be better in Churchill, Manitoba; Yukon, Yellowknife, or Wilderness Island - not sure it's within the Rockies area.

If you are holding Singapore passport, and not going to be in US longer than 90 days, you can just get the ESTA, no need Visa.

I have driven in US for a couple of trips, no issues - just remember that the driver side is nearer to the (middle) lane divider. However, if you are going to drive in places that are snowing, you need to learn how to drive correctly, as it can be a bit more difficult to maneuver - we don't face those kind of weather here, so we got no practice.

Different states got different tax rates and yes, it's not refundable as far as I know. Not too sure of the frequency in paying taxes... I think when you buy things you may have the taxes already in built into the pricing.
    What is esta ?

So how do we know when to give tips ?
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Quote Originally Posted by Alpc View Post
    Er? I thot the norm is 15%... 10% means lousy service and 20% means very good service (of course 0% means no service, but I am not sure if anyone ever did that)?!??! I have heard that in NY, no one will give below 15%, and usually it's more than that!
    I have gone to Bobby Flay's restaurant in New York before and I didn't tip the waiter. I also will not tip if all the waiter does is to give me one glass of water and doesn't top up or give me a good dining experience. Tip is not expected but must be earned.