Thread: Post Processing Using Canon Digital Photo Professional?

Default Post Processing Using Canon Digital Photo Professional?

Hi,
    I'm new to photography and post processing of RAW images.

So far I have only been tweaking around with the crop tool, shot settings, picture settings.
    What other details should I look out for when doing post processing to my shots?

Also are that any other software that is recommended in addition of Canon's DPP?

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Post Processing Using Canon Digital Photo Professional?

Quote Originally Posted by tsumetiv View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to photography and post processing of RAW images.

So far I have only been tweaking around with the crop tool, shot settings, picture settings.
    What other details should I look out for when doing post processing to my shots?

Also are that any other software that is recommended in addition of Canon's DPP?

Thanks for reading!
    There are many such threads in the "Digital Darkroom" section. Have you even tried a search for "editing software"?

You can always go for the usual recommended software, Lightroom and Photoshop.
    Alpha

Thanks for the advice! I did do some reading with relation to photo editing software and a few did catch my eye and I hope to try out some day or another.

Currently however, Canon DPP is the only photo editing software I have in my comp at the moment. Hence would appreciate if anyone else using this software could advise me what other points I should take note of.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I did do some reading with relation to photo editing software and a few did catch my eye and I hope to try out some day or another.

Currently however, Canon DPP is the only photo editing software I have in my comp at the moment. Hence would appreciate if anyone else using this software could advise me what other points I should take note of.

Thanks!
    Actually what do you not find pleasing in your photo? Only did you actually realise what you didn't like, then you could post process it. And if you cannot, then you post your question. That would be much much more detail and others can then advise you accordingly. It is pretty generic and no one will know what you should or should not do.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Looking for a Standard Procedure? Too bad, there is none. You are in photography, not a check-in at airport.
    People adjust the pictures to get the outcome they have in mind. So what do you have in mind? Just a slightly enhanced version of reality? Then you don't need much adjustments. But if you wish to show your pictures (to be precise: the subject) in a different way, then you should explore what you can do with DPP. Have you tried desaturation to get 'old school film' look? Tried Black and White conversion? There are many sliders, try them all, push them to extreme settings, see what comes out.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually what do you not find pleasing in your photo? Only did you actually realise what you didn't like, then you could post process it. And if you cannot, then you post your question. That would be much much more detail and others can then advise you accordingly. It is pretty generic and no one will know what you should or should not do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Looking for a Standard Procedure? Too bad, there is none. You are in photography, not a check-in at airport.
    People adjust the pictures to get the outcome they have in mind. So what do you have in mind? Just a slightly enhanced version of reality? Then you don't need much adjustments. But if you wish to show your pictures (to be precise: the subject) in a different way, then you should explore what you can do with DPP. Have you tried desaturation to get 'old school film' look? Tried Black and White conversion? There are many sliders, try them all, push them to extreme settings, see what comes out.
    Thanks for the advices! So far I only played around with those 3 tools I mentioned. I'm very new to doing post processing for my shots. With my old POS camera I just take the photos and uploaded them. In fact for the first couple of shots I took with my DSLR were also uploaded without any editing done.

However, recently I have taken some nature and wildlife shots and after doing some tweaking in DPP I managed to enhance how the images look by a little. That was why I was wondering if there were any other points I should take note of while using this software. I have also come to realized that there is no definite checklist for such editing and what matters is how satisfied with the outcome of the photo.

I will poke around this software more and see what it can do to my photos and I appreciate all the comments I have gotten thus far. Thanks!

Explore the functions, also with regards to filing and organizing pictures. Think about workflow, where and how to store the original files (which should not be changed) and where to store the edited results.
    EOS

Thanks for the advices! So far I only played around with those 3 tools I mentioned. I'm very new to doing post processing for my shots. With my old POS camera I just take the photos and uploaded them. In fact for the first couple of shots I took with my DSLR were also uploaded without any editing done.

However, recently I have taken some nature and wildlife shots and after doing some tweaking in DPP I managed to enhance how the images look by a little. That was why I was wondering if there were any other points I should take note of while using this software. I have also come to realized that there is no definite checklist for such editing and what matters is how satisfied with the outcome of the photo.

I will poke around this software more and see what it can do to my photos and I appreciate all the comments I have gotten thus far. Thanks!
    The first question you ask yourself was - what effect you really want. Only with this question answered and you have a clear picture of what you want to do could you actually know what you want to tweak and what you want to play with in your DPP to achieve that effect. And only when you cannot achieve the effect you want, then you approached CS or other forums to ask for help and advise
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123

The first question you ask yourself was - what effect you really want. Only with this question answered and you have a clear picture of what you want to do could you actually know what you want to tweak and what you want to play with in your DPP to achieve that effect. And only when you cannot achieve the effect you want, then you approached CS or other forums to ask for help and advise
    Totally agreed. I used to edit using only canon software then when I took more photos, i started to realize I wanted to achieve more with e pic. So I ended up with lightroom n photoshop.
    Ts, if u r comfortable wif dpp and it's able to meet ur pp needs then I dun see a need for others. If its limiting u in some ways, find out which area u would like to process but dpp could not achieve it then look for alternate software.
    Commonly used is lightroom, Photoshop n aperture I guess
    To you, they may be just a pet but to them, u r their everything

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Explore the functions, also with regards to filing and organizing pictures. Think about workflow, where and how to store the original files (which should not be changed) and where to store the edited results.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I do have separate folders on my comp for my RAWs and PP images. I keep a backup of the RAWs in my harddisk and usually my PP images are uploaded online.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! So far quite pleased with what Canon DPP can do since I only wish to do some basic enhancements to my photos. But I will try to explore some other features to see if I can take that enhancement even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacus21 View Post
    Totally agreed. I used to edit using only canon software then when I took more photos, i started to realize I wanted to achieve more with e pic. So I ended up with lightroom n photoshop.
    Ts, if u r comfortable wif dpp and it's able to meet ur pp needs then I dun see a need for others. If its limiting u in some ways, find out which area u would like to process but dpp could not achieve it then look for alternate software.
    Commonly used is lightroom, Photoshop n aperture I guess
    Thanks! I guess I am still quite new to PP so I don't really know what to expect. Last time on my old POS camera, usually just take photos and upload in their raw unedited format. I guess with more photos I will start to have different expectations.

Thank everyone for the helpful advices!

One of the ways I did to learn was to anyhow shift the curves and sliders to the max and then see what the effect turns out to be. Like rojak rojak.

Quote Originally Posted by rukiazhengde View Post
    One of the ways I did to learn was to anyhow shift the curves and sliders to the max and then see what the effect turns out to be. Like rojak rojak.
    Somehow playing with the curves screwed up the colour tone of the image. So now I only play with the sliders. But then again I'm still new to this program so maybe need to tweak around in it more