Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD-R, which brand ?

Default CD-R, which brand ?

Hi everyone,

Hope you cld share with me, which are the reliable brands in storing photos in the CD-R disc.

Appreciate yr sharings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Yan
    Hi everyone,

Hope you cld share with me, which are the reliable brands in storing photos in the CD-R disc.

hi, rachel!

ermm... i guess u want to look for branded ones? my personal preferences are either imation or verbatim. they come either in CD jewel cases, or in stacks of 50 or 100 pieces. can get from sim lim square (try looking for them at a shop called A1) or chamoxa at funan. chamoxa also carries other branded CDs.

i can't remember - but i think maxell CDs are supposed to be treated with some chemicals to suit local conditions; prevents fungus or something like dat. if u go chamoxa, mebbe u can check with them?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Hi Hi Sam

No lah..not gg branded ones.. the few names you mentioned all worth considering ...

I supposed i will rank them ahead of Sony/TDK.. heard Maxwell is good too..

Thanks again for yr opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    hi, rachel!

ermm... i guess u want to look for branded ones? my personal preferences are either imation or verbatim. they come either in CD jewel cases, or in stacks of 50 or 100 pieces. can get from sim lim square (try looking for them at a shop called A1) or chamoxa at funan. chamoxa also carries other branded CDs.

i can't remember - but i think maxell CDs are supposed to be treated with some chemicals to suit local conditions; prevents fungus or something like dat. if u go chamoxa, mebbe u can check with them?

I have been using Maxell CD-R's for about 4+ years now, and till now not one of them has got corrupted. I've tried most of them... verbatim, sony, tdk, etc, but the best results were from Maxell. I had the worst results from Sony. I don't even bother with the cheap no name brands. Not worth the time or money. My data is more important.

The audio recording industry seems to prefer MITSUI. (not Mitsubishi pls) Not many shops in Sim Lim Square carry this brand; probably too expensive.
    Last edited by Barrios; 24th September 2004 at 11:22 AM.

Let's not forget how we store the cds ... keep them away from other elements of nature such as sunlight to ensure longevity of the cds ...
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 24th September 2004 at 11:25 AM.

Deregistered

I vote Mitsubishi CD-Rs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I vote Mitsubishi CD-Rs
    hahaha... i used their DVD-R for burning photos now. bought them on offer at chamoxa a few mths back.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Very hard to get Mitsui CD-R's. The ones I have are good since 1998. Haven't seen any here in Sg.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    hahaha... i used their DVD-R for burning photos now. bought them on offer at chamoxa a few mths back.

I'm using Mitsubishi DVD+Rs and +RWs for backing up & storage of my images

Thanks to all of you for yr valuable inputs..!!

me still savg monie to get a DVD burner in future.. got to temporary live with the VCD burner for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I'm using Mitsubishi DVD+Rs and +RWs for backing up & storage of my images

Deregistered

Thanks to all of you for yr valuable inputs..!!

me still savg monie to get a DVD burner in future.. got to temporary live with the VCD burner for the time being.
    A DVD burner can be gotten for less than $150 nowadays, you might wanna consider

Default Kodak Gold "old packing" CD-R

I was using Kodak Gold "old packing" CD-R, but can't find anymore in Singapore, I was told there is still avaliable in HK. I changed to Imation and Mitsubishi/Verbitum. and they seems quite okay for me. Anyway, I mainly use DVD-R +R +RW -RW now, as the price is dirt cheap and big size. I paid $1 to $1.2 per pcs for Mitsubishi/Verbitum 2x DVD-R. Try to get the Mitsubishi/Verbitum is made in Japan one, as I found the quality of made in Taiwan one is bad. The cheapest price that I found are at 6F of Sim Lim Sq. Good luck and hope it helps

Deregistered

hard disks are cheaper though. i can't imagine burning off 65+ gigs of photos to... *groan* 100 CD-R's...

If you have 65+ gigs then may as well get DVDR's. I finally bit the bullet and got a DVDRW drive. All my scans and backups fit into 8 DVD+R's. Trying to get my stuff onto CDR's was madness.

Mine is a LiteOn 832s. Think it's available for around $140 these days. Good reports on this one. It is also rebadged and sold as a Sony (700A or something). This baby burns dual layer DVD+R's as well. So far, there have been no problems and burn quality is very good on DVD+R's (this drive hates DVD-R's)

Default Cheap Verbertim DVD-R at Popular Book Store

Verbertim dvd-r is selling at about $16+ for a cake box of 15pcs!

however it's rated 1-2x writting only

me still doing some sun test with it (side by side test with TDK 1-8 DVD+R).

Hi everyone,

Get those Sony Supremas (Those multi-coloured ones). They are Taiyo Yuden OEMs, one of the best CD-Rs makers. Made in Japan.

Kodak Gold CDR was the best but i heard they dun produce it anymore

Imation~! no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrios
    The audio recording industry seems to prefer MITSUI. (not Mitsubishi pls) Not many shops in Sim Lim Square carry this brand; probably too expensive.
    Mitsui Gold (Mitsui Chemical) and Kodak Gold (Kodak Japan) are the best around but they are very difficult to find. Both used the top grade dye pythalocyanine. They come in a jewel case and should cost about a few dollars a piece. The next better dye is the Azo patented by Mitsubishi Chemical. Mitsubishi and Verbatim both used the Super Azo dye. The normal dye is Cyanine patented by Taiyo Yuden which
    is used by majority of the CD manufacturers including Imation, Sony, TKD, Maxwell, etc. The more expensive the CD the better the quality. Don't go for cheap no brand CD. You can lose your data in no time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast