Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 163

Thread: Annoying self-claim photographers.

  1. #121
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    What is wrong with using flash to light up my foreground?
    actually not wrong LOL. if Joe Mcnally does it, it shld be pro enough HAHA

  2. #122

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Can I, don't wan passion, bt a free 5d plsssssssss
    Canon| Tokina(UWA) | newly added a Tamron(walkabout)

  3. #123

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post

    And I don't find what's wrong with posting these here. It's a forum and Kopitiam after all. Everyone has the rights to complain, though don't expect things to change. The first comment was going against TS harshly. Those who read that comment will probably agree with him and in the end lose their own points of view. It's sub-conscious
    Exactly. It's not like I'm posting it on some other important and irrelevant forums. I posted it here to ask for views. Views from different people because I want to know who disagrees with me and who doesnt. and WHY.

    Like I said, the only reason why I got so affected is becasue they are my close friends. Friends whom I know so well that i know that a dslr and only an accessory to them. This is the reason why i felt so insulted. They want to hang something fancy around their necks and they got what they want. So how can I not be jealous? I grew up w/o parents and so I have to handle all this myself. Now that I know what my hobby is, I work hard to get what I need.

    It is my fault for sterotyping them and saying that they have 'no passion'. But at the start of the forum, I asked "Do you think they are really into photography?". The next thing I know is someone misusing my words, twisting my logic and changing my initial meaning.
    Last edited by tumblrsucks; 19th July 2011 at 09:29 PM.

  4. #124

    Default

    TS,
    Enough said. I think you should close this thread before you sink into depression.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    It should not bother you whether or not who got the camera for them, whether or not they have the passion for photography. If you are indeed affected by the fact that they got their DSLR the easy way and have no passion in photography, why not try igniting their passion in photography by inviting them to join you for shoots? If you do that, you no longer have to complain about them using the DSLR as a fashion accessory too.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Lets think about it. The reason for forums is so that people can state their own views and hear from others. If it was really self-righteousness then why would i bother to post this up and listen to what others have to say? If I was that selfish, I might as well just lock myself in and think about how much i hate these people everyday. But no, I'm here because I want to hear views and I want to learn how to change my thoughts. I know that Im being selfish, but Im taking a step by listening to what others have to say. So why pinpoint me?

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    What is wrong with using flash to light up my foreground?
    im actually talking about landscapes where you have no foreground subject. but let's not go off topic

  8. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Then you don't have confidence in your ability to perform better than a hobbyist.. Loads of professionals make do despite all these people being present.
    confidence was never something i had in photography anyway. but i guess that's what keeps us going.
    more importantly, many DSLR-owners are...let's not say stealing. More like replacing freelance photographers' jobs (save for events like wedding and the like). i believe you know that in Singapore it's never easy being a freelancer.

  9. #129

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by tumblrsucks View Post
    Lets think about it. The reason for forums is so that people can state their own views and hear from others. If it was really self-righteousness then why would i bother to post this up and listen to what others have to say? If I was that selfish, I might as well just lock myself in and think about how much i hate these people everyday. But no, I'm here because I want to hear views and I want to learn how to change my thoughts. I know that Im being selfish, but Im taking a step by listening to what others have to say. So why pinpoint me?
    Because you are the TS...

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by tumblrsucks View Post
    Lets think about it. The reason for forums is so that people can state their own views and hear from others. If it was really self-righteousness then why would i bother to post this up and listen to what others have to say? If I was that selfish, I might as well just lock myself in and think about how much i hate these people everyday. But no, I'm here because I want to hear views and I want to learn how to change my thoughts. I know that Im being selfish, but Im taking a step by listening to what others have to say. So why pinpoint me?
    they're pinpointing you coz you utterly insulted those with DSLRs, which includes our friends. your username already insults like 20% of the world's population. so why not just learn from them? i understand how hard it is to get texts straight sometimes. it happens a lot to me too. my online friends used to think i'm Spanish just coz i sounded rude in texts, but in fact the tone in my mind as i type it didn't start out that way

  11. #131

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by tumblrsucks View Post
    Exactly. It's not like I'm posting it on some other important and irrelevant forums. I posted it here to ask for views. Views from different people because I want to know who disagrees with me and who doesnt. and WHY.

    Like I said, the only reason why I got so affected is becasue they are my close friends. Friends whom I know so well that i know that a dslr and only an accessory to them. This is the reason why i felt so insulted. They want to hang something fancy around their necks and they got what they want. So how can I not be jealous? I grew up w/o parents and so I have to handle all this myself. Now that I know what my hobby is, I work hard to get what I need.

    It is my fault for sterotyping them and saying that they have 'no passion'. But at the start of the forum, I asked "Do you think they are really into photography?". The next thing I know is someone misusing my words, twisting my logic and changing my initial meaning.
    It's because your question is a loaded question. You want to hear answers to make yourself feel good while making others look bad. I'll quote your first post (bolded emphasis to show you exactly where you are already putting others down):

    Quote Originally Posted by tumblrsucks View Post
    Recently, there has been a high rate of teens buying dslr cameras. Do you think they are really into photography? moreover, those cameras were paid by their pitiful parents.
    These bunch of teens would look at a website with pretty pictures and feel like they are in love with photography too. I really want to know what everybody think about this issue. It is driving me nuts. These people with no passion, insulting our passion.
    Now, I have no issue with calling things as they are, as do some members here. However, you *are* overgeneralizing things. You know "these people" better than any of us do. Why do you need us, a bunch of strangers, to confirm your feelings? Why do we have to condemn "these people" whose fault only seems to be to have generous (and wealthy) parents and a differing view from you? You tried to "accomodate" us by initially using "teens" instead of "my friends" so we can relate better, but honestly, you do NOT care at all about the rest of the world, only a specific target group. And that's what we are calling you out on. Your argument essentially boils to this:

    You: People who are X are stupid. Yes/No?
    Us: Not all of them are. Why do you care? What have they ever done to you?
    You: Actually I just mean my friends x1, x2 and x3. They're stupid. Yes/No?
    Us: We don't know them. Who knows? x1 might turn out not to be stupid after all.
    You: But *I* know them! And they're stupid! I know because Y!
    Us: You're wrong about Y.

    Why are you seeking our approval to put down your friends? Frankly, I don't think that's such a good attitude to take. You want a yes/no answer but we can't give a yes/no answer because we don't have all the facts. The "facts" you gave us (Y) is wrong and that's what we called you out on. In any case, you are the one in the best position to determine the suitability of your friends. What do you need us for?

  12. #132
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by tumblrsucks View Post
    Recently, there has been a high rate of teens buying dslr cameras. Do you think they are really into photography? moreover, those cameras were paid by their pitiful parents.
    These bunch of teens would look at a website with pretty pictures and feel like they are in love with photography too. I really want to know what everybody think about this issue. It is driving me nuts. These people with no passion, insulting our passion.
    Sorry for insulting your passion......i took up photography so that i can hang my camera to walk around the street.

    I do that because i can afford it.

    Have a nice day.

  13. #133

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Sorry for insulting your passion......i took up photography so that i can hang my camera to walk around the street.

    I do that because i can afford it.

    Have a nice day.
    Lies, you took up photography to impress the cats.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Lies, you took up photography to impress the cats.
    This calls for a tickle fight!!

  15. #135
    Member lamergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fratton Park, Portsmouth
    Posts
    1,511

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    im actually talking about landscapes where you have no foreground subject. but let's not go off topic


    Anyway, TS, maybe it's because you haven't been here long enough. But in my short 2 years here, I have seen at the very least 10 of these threads talking about youngsters having DSLR. Same questions and everything. I don't get why you're intimidated by it or annoyed. They're just trying to climb up the circle of social hierarchy. I'm sucked in it. Most teenagers are.

    Heck even adults are. Houses, clubs, cars... Do you really need so many cars, houses or clubs? You can only be at one place at a time. When you are able to answer that question, you've answered your own question

    Edit: Anyway, read your question again. If owning a DSLR without a camera means insulting the passion of photography, does that means owning a car and having no passion in cars an insult to people with passion for cars. Worse, owning clothes without passion for fashion or style. That would be death sentence in Tim Gunn's world.
    Last edited by lamergod; 19th July 2011 at 10:42 PM.

  16. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lamergod

    Anyway, TS, maybe it's because you haven't been here long enough. But in my short 2 years here, I have seen at the very least 10 of these threads talking about youngsters having DSLR. Same questions and everything. I don't get why you're intimidated by it or annoyed. They're just trying to climb up the circle of social hierarchy. I'm sucked in it. Most teenagers are.

    Heck even adults are. Houses, clubs, cars... Do you really need so many cars, houses or clubs? You can only be at one place at a time. When you are able to answer that question, you've answered your own question
    I wasn't even kidding ~.~ like shots of the CBD from afar? And that there's no foreground subject when I see their previews

  17. #137
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    To whom it may concern: do not burn bridges

    If you ever believe in the 6 degrees of separation, the world is too freaking small not to leave a small backdoor for yourself to exit graciously should you need to or if ever the need arises. Not saying you should be a hypocrite or a diplomat. But there's a reason insurance is one industry that will never die out.
    Last edited by bonrya; 20th July 2011 at 12:33 AM.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  18. #138

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    I wasn't even kidding ~.~ like shots of the CBD from afar? And that there's no foreground subject when I see their previews
    live and let die.

    what lamergod was saying was that you OT-ed in the first place. then you told others not to OT.

    what they're doing is trying to attract butterflies and moths to the flash of light, and catch them. for all you know, they're insect lovers.

  19. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    TS, relax la. You can't envy other too much la. Like I dont own a car, I envy those young people owning 1? If you keep on comparing your life with others, you ended up suffering only. $ is nothing to most people, you will learn when you grows older.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  20. #140

    Default Re: Annoying self-claim photographers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Sorry for insulting your passion......i took up photography so that i can hang my camera to walk around the street.

    I do that because i can afford it.

    Have a nice day.


    I got follow up line but then again to add.... But eh pointless

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •