Thread: Multiple-battery charger

Default Multiple-battery charger

Hi there! I'm a amateur photographer who will be travelling to China next month to capture some life over there. I foresee myself leaving my hotel room in the morning and only returning in the night.

I'm a little worried over the power issue. Currently using a Canon 50D. I intend to bring 4-5 batteries, but am wondering how am I suppose to charge them at night all at one go before I wake up the next morning. Is there such a thing in the market as a multiple battery charger for my line of Canon batteries? Or do I have to purchase 5 different single chargers and use them all via a multiple wall plug?

Any advice from travellers and photographers who travel often for shoots?

Thanks in advance

What are you shooting? How many shots u will be taking in one day? Not sure abt 50D, but a D90 with full charge can last me one full day with 900+ shots. The most I'll bring is two batt with a quick recharger. Wake up in the middle of the night to swap battery to charge if needed.

Though it's possible that you will have high usage, but do consider the practicality of 3 to 5 charger. Enel-4a is the only battery charger I know that comes with a duo charger for two battery at one go.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Default Re: Multiple-battery charger

i'll be doing more documentary, but i'll probably be cover several land and city scapes. any other suggestions to manage to batteries if i have to bring 4-5 batteries?

buy more chargers??

Do you think you will shoot more than 1000pics a day? I've shot 1200pictures on 2 pcs BP511A in a batt grip over the span of 12hrs on my 50D. Based on my experience with the batts in Singapore weather, i think you don't have to worry so much about charging all five batts in a night. Unless the cold weather causes your batts to lose it charge very very quickly.

There is a original Canon charger that can charge 2 batts at a go. Have also come across third party chargers that can charger 2 batts if you need a budget charger.

Anyways, I think it'll be more critical to solve your data storage worries over this. If i were you, i would just get one of those 3rd party dual chargers and use it in concurrently with the single charger that you have. So at any 1 point, you can charge 3 batts. I'll probably bring 3-4 16gb CF cards if you are shooting RAW. A netbook or laptop with a portable harddisk will be very useful for backing up your files daily.

And just to be kiasu cos i always believe crap never fails to happen...you should consider bringing a back up body or a compact if the pictures are really important. Hope you find what i said useful.
    Last edited by Silas; 18th July 2011 at 10:37 PM.

silas: hahaha thanks bro, really useful advice there. trying to research more on the areas you've advised on. thanks again! (:

I think, the most you will need is 3 batteries and a duo charger. I cannot imagine that you need 5k shots a day, unless you are doing timelapse documentary... Then probably you need 4 batteries.....

If u are using battery grip, can try the AA battery tray which takes 6 AA batteries. Can use as backup instead of buying another set of batteries.

With video shooting it will be a valid issue. The last i went NZ shooting videos with my wife, it easily emptied the juice of a few batts over a very short afternoon.

If photo shooting, as forumers have opined, probably 2 batts will last a long day ahead.

Usually I start charging the first thing i return back to hotel lodging, and switch batts / charge till all are full.

Ryan