Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with Nikon D70!~

Default Re: Help with Nikon D70!~

Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Yeah it's very lag for my lens. Takes about 1 minute before the AF comes kicking in And it gets really irritating at times
    woah... that's a very long AF

I just tried the d70 with kit lens, not as what you described, maybe you can borrow another lens and try on your cam body and see if it's better..

And yea, if you wanna take bugs, then yes you probably need macro/micro lenses..

And yea, if the lens is "too narrow", it's very cramped if you take group shots.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...OR-40mm-f-2.8G

noticed this...

1) nobody has this lens yet. It'll be available in August
    2) retail price is USD $280. Good luck getting it for $175

Also, your 'focus for 1 min' is not because of your 'laggy lens'. Each lens has a minimum focusing distance, you're either trying to shoot a white background or you're under the minimum focus distance. Normally for macro shots, you'd want to use manual focus anyway.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Yeah that close! Like bugs shot! It takes about 1 minute for every picture to be taken due to the laggy lens.

1 min (60 seconds) is an unheard of duration for Auto-focus on a DSLR.
    Assuming you don't have a technical problem (faulty AF on camera, or faulty AF motor on lens, etc), I would be inclined to conclude that the issue is with the user.
    Things like minimum focus distance, looking for contrast for the Autofocus to accurately lock-on, etc...

Don't be so quick to blame the equipment, is all I can say.
    Perhaps post a photo of the situation where your AF took 1 min to do its job, and describe in greater detail what you did.

Please visit the Nikon PriceGuide, maintained by fellow CSers. On Post #10 is a listing of the shop names and the abbreviations used for them. Feel free to call or drop by the various stores and hunt for the best prices. If you find a better price than what is listed on the price guide, drop a Private Message to the person maintaining the list, so that he can update accordingly.

Good luck!
    Exploring! :)

I tried taking pictures with manual focus, it works perfectly. Only the AF needs to wait way longer

Quote Originally Posted by awesomesther View Post
    woah... that's a very long AF

I just tried the d70 with kit lens, not as what you described, maybe you can borrow another lens and try on your cam body and see if it's better..

And yea, if you wanna take bugs, then yes you probably need macro/micro lenses..

And yea, if the lens is "too narrow", it's very cramped if you take group shots.

Because I bought the D70 from another guy. He is honest and told me that the lens is laggy. I asked him how laggy, then he said I will experience it myself after I use it. Only the AF is laggy. The manual one has no problem. I am thinking of getting macro lens for close up shots on bugs ands on. Yeah so any recommendations?

Blog Entries

but it took 1min to focus its abit too slow? .. maybe u should try to borrow other lens to try if its faster? hmm

btw i saw the WTB thread too.. $175 its too low... with that u can get a 50mm nia =x... and the lens it available at august only =x
    Lousy de My Flickr

Blog Entries

Because I bought the D70 from another guy. He is honest and told me that the lens is laggy. I asked him how laggy, then he said I will experience it myself after I use it. Only the AF is laggy. The manual one has no problem. I am thinking of getting macro lens for close up shots on bugs ands on. Yeah so any recommendations?
    hmm.... u can try tamron 90mm... 1:1.. but for indoor portrait its tight. outdoor no problem...
    Lousy de My Flickr

For autofocus to take 1 min, the focus motor must be turning really really slow...
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Well... If you tried in different situation and AF is consistently slow, then maybe you should grab another lens and try the AF to see if it's the lens problem or the body's ?? (I am not an expert though)...

To me, "laggy" is taking about 1-1.5sec to achieve focus lock, when another lens could do it in < 0.5sec
    So 1 min is really out there. Auto-focus on something under good light, and with decent contrast (eg. an object with patterns), and note down approximately how long the camera + lens takes to focus. If possible, post the photo as well.

.....I am thinking of getting macro lens for close up shots on bugs ands on. Yeah so any recommendations?
    Taking bugs requires a fairly high degree of magnification, else the bugs will look tiny (unless that is your intention )
    A lens that is designed for that purpose (eg. Tamron 90mm macro or Tamron 180mm macro) would not really be suitable as a general purpose lens. They satisfy different criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    but it took 1min to focus its abit too slow? .. maybe u should try to borrow other lens to try if its faster? hmm

btw i saw the WTB thread too.. $175 its too low... with that u can get a 50mm nia =x... and the lens it available at august only =x
    Hmm I think I explained wrongly. Okay let me explain the scenario, when I turn on the DSLR, if it is set to AF, when I depress the camera button, the box will be blacken. And then for the first shot, it will take about 1 minute for the lens to get started. And during that time, pressing the full shuttle button will not have any effect. But then after the blacken box disappears, I can then focus with AF and then take photos, I can take continuously without having the laggy feel. But after like let's say I stop for 1minute and wants to take picture again, when I AF, the same thing repeats itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Taking bugs requires a fairly high degree of magnification, else the bugs will look tiny (unless that is your intention )
    A lens that is designed for that purpose (eg. Tamron 90mm macro or Tamron 180mm macro) would not really be suitable as a general purpose lens. They satisfy different criteria.
    Most probably I will get a macro lens for bugs shot. And for normal shots or general shots, most probably I will use back my laggy lens.

Hmm I think I explained wrongly. Okay let me explain the scenario, when I turn on the DSLR, if it is set to AF, when I depress the camera button, the box will be blacken. And then for the first shot, it will take about 1 minute for the lens to get started. And during that time, pressing the full shuttle button will not have any effect. But then after the blacken box disappears, I can then focus with AF and then take photos, I can take continuously without having the laggy feel. But after like let's say I stop for 1minute and wants to take picture again, when I AF, the same thing repeats itself.
    Ok so let me get this straight:

1) You turn on the camera by turning the switch to 'ON' position
    2) You compose a scene by looking through the viewfinder
    3) You press the 'camera button' (I assume you mean the "shutter release", the silver button at the top, inside the ON/OFF rotating switch)
    4) A black box appears

Can you please explain a bit more about this 'black box'?
    What shooting mode (eg. P, A, S, M, Auto, etc) have you set your mode dial to?

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Ok so let me get this straight:

1) You turn on the camera by turning the switch to 'ON' position
    2) You compose a scene by looking through the viewfinder
    3) You press the 'camera button' (I assume you mean the "shutter release", the silver button at the top, inside the ON/OFF rotating switch)
    4) A black box appears

Can you please explain a bit more about this 'black box'?
    What shooting mode (eg. P, A, S, M, Auto, etc) have you set your mode dial to?

Yes from 1-4. I set to Auto. After I have waited for about 1 minute or so, I can auto focus very fast for continuous shots maybe 10 seconds 1 photo. When I depress half way, the black box will appear which means auto focused.

Yes from 1-4. I set to Auto. After I have waited for about 1 minute or so, I can auto focus very fast for continuous shots maybe 10 seconds 1 photo. When I depress half way, the black box will appear which means auto focused.
    Nikon cameras use a green dot and (optional) beep sound to confirm that auto-focus has locked. I don't understand what this black box is.
    Like a cursor in the viewfinder?
    Do you mean something like this?

taken from http://dpnow.com/images/Nikon=d50-viewfinder.gif

Yeah something like it. Either one of the box will be blacken during AF.

Anyone has any recommendations of 2nd hand macro lens that is not too expensive?

Anyone has any recommendations of 2nd hand macro lens that is not too expensive?
    One of the cheapest will be the Tamron 90mm if you insist on getting a macro lens. Can get for around $450 2nd hand

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    One of the cheapest will be the Tamron 90mm if you insist on getting a macro lens. Can get for around $450 2nd hand
    Hahaha I see. Alright thanks! Then what kind of lens will be suitable for normal shots, like some landscape and portrait?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast