Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Singapore ... dull and soul destroying"

Default "Singapore ... dull and soul destroying"

just want to share with you guys a part from an interview with Araki Nobuyoshi

----------------------------------------------------------

PDN: You have been described by many critics as "Tokyo's biographer." What is it about Tokyo that attracts you? What other cities do you like?

Araki: Tokyo is architecturally fascinating but there is something distinctly chaotic about the city, disorganized. It feels like death and life squaring off against each other. I love that sense of chaos. But I'm most interested in the places I'm familiar with, where I go every day. I don't take photos anywhere in Tokyo, just in Shinjuku and the neighborhoods I know really well. Photography means the things that relate to me. I don't go to places simply to take photographs.

Tokyo is a huge metropolis of course but it also has a rural feel to it, like the old wooden telephone poles.

Singapore for instance is absolutely dull and soul destroying. It is like Disneyland where there is no dust on the ground.

Amsterdam is beautiful but too structured; I like chaos as I said. Something to come along and disrupt all that beauty. The red light district is very appealing but it would be a lot better with no lights on in the windows (laughs). Vienna is wonderful and inspiring; it has an atmosphere of something close to death.

found another part lol

PDN: Does it bother you if you are described as a "Japanese photographer"?

Araki: It's not necessarily a bad thing to be seen as a Japanese photographer but I don't want audience to look at my photos and necessarily make assumptions about what a Japanese photographer is; or that these are artistic statements that could only have come out of Japan, that's tiresome. I'm a global photographer.

Having said that, photography in my opinion, is getting more homogenized and less distinctive. Wherever you go, photographers are taking similar kinds of pictures. I don't like digital photography which is tending to blur distinctions that make photography exciting. It is too sanitized -- like Singapore! (laughs)

err.... are those compliment?

But Disneyland is fun!!

I felt rather insulted.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    But Disneyland is fun!!
    Disneyland? Nice??

Not sure abt u, but I dun like Theme parks.

Our environment is not only made up of architecture, infrastructure, etc. We have friends, relatives and family members here too so its natural that he, being a foreigner might feel different. He mentioned architecture in Tokyo is fascinating. I've come across people who described Tokyo architecture as downright boring. There you go. He's free to say what he wants. I won't loose a wink of sleep over it.

Default basically he is saying....... singapore sucks.

This guy is obviously speaking from the heart.

Singapore is indeed dull and soul destroying. Too sanitized, orderly and the people are just suppressed into obedient citizens with no voice and no love for the country. A place where the government tells you to take care of your every need from cradle to grave. How nice?

singaporean are always free to leave if they feel it is not good for them here.No one forcing them to stay mah.in fact,so many ang moh migrate to singapore..

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Disneyland? Nice??

Not sure abt u, but I dun like Theme parks.
    Each to his own... but have you actually been (to the one in LA)?

Ang Mos migrate to Singapore to become Foreign Talents, a commodity worshipped by the Party here. Singaporeans migrates to overseas become 2nd class citizens aka Unwanted Talents.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    singaporean are always free to leave if they feel it is not good for them here.No one forcing them to stay mah.in fact,so many ang moh migrate to singapore..

i tot ang moh also considered 2nd class citizen in singapore?
    i heard they dun have any discount on flat purchase either..

anyway,if i got $$,2nd class oso nvm
    no $$ 1st class citizen oso like dat..

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan
    Ang Mos migrate to Singapore to become Foreign Talents, a commodity worshipped by the Party here. Singaporeans migrates to overseas become 2nd class citizens aka Unwanted Talents.
    Ahhem, my reasons for coming to Singapore (from Sydney) had nothing to do with wanting to become a worshipped commodity. I think your views are a little simplistic (no offence).

Yawn! This debate will go on forever. Not happy...migrate. Happy....go out and shoot. Life goes on. BTW I love theme parks. That is one place where I can be a kid again.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitan
    Ang Mo's move to Singapore to pick up all the Singapore girls! Back home no ang mo girl will give some of them a second look. Go to Singapore and all of a sudden it's happening, man. Like my mum says, in the US he lives in the Bronx. Go to Singapore, and he can go to the American Club, a snooty establishment that thumbs its nose at ordinary Singaporeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfibius
    Ang Mo's move to Singapore to pick up all the Singapore girls! Back home no ang mo girl will give some of them a second look. Go to Singapore and all of a sudden it's happening, man. Like my mum says, in the US he lives in the Bronx. Go to Singapore, and he can go to the American Club, a snooty establishment that thumbs its nose at ordinary Singaporeans.
    Before this goes too OT, allow me to gently remind everyone, that if you wish to discuss the merits/demerits of the interview, then by all means, please do.

However, if this is going to bring out the xenophobe in everyone, then i will be closing the thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

WG.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Maybe we shld bring it back to photography

He probably means there's little of worth to photograph in Singapore. Maybe someone would like to gently guide him to Tiong Bahru, Beach Road, Balestier and other vintage parts of Singapore; I have a feeling he spent too much time drinking expressos in Shenton Way, Esplanade and Raffles Place.

Face it, if i had to work in the CBD all day in a shirt and tie, it'd destroy my soul too. I'd have hundreds of lenses (bought after a killing in the stock market/successfully netting a million dollar client/yada yada) but no inspiration to find the right pictures to take.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Before this goes too OT, allow me to gently remind everyone, that if you wish to discuss the merits/demerits of the interview, then by all means, please do.

However, if this is going to bring out the xenophobe in everyone, then i will be closing the thread.
    Well, allow me to bring it right back on topic then! Singapore is an over-regulated country, where you are told what to think and you better think it or else. If you dare to speak up, you will get sued by the government. Many people who have been too outspoken have had their lives ruined. This kind of thinking extends to the forums run and managed by Singaporeans, where you are only allowed to say certain things before the moderators jump on you to "gently" warn you that you are overstepping the boundaries.

This type of over-regulation of thought has produced a dull society lacking in imagination, where people are too afraid to think independently and all toe the official line. Most of the rebels and the creative people have left Singapore to pursue better lives in other countries. Hear of a brilliant scientist? Former Singaporean. Hear of a brilliant photographer? Former Singaporean. Most of the top people in Singapore are itching to get out precisely because of the kind of oppression that is practiced by the government, and is echoed by the moderators in this forum.

Now i'm counting how many minutes it will take for this post to get deleted and for me to get banned
    Last edited by Amfibius; 23rd September 2004 at 08:02 PM.

When your post gets deleted/you get banned we'll see how true this is

where you are only allowed to say certain things before the moderators jump on you to "gently" warn you that you are overstepping the boundaries.

Deregistered

Last edited by Amfibius; 23rd September 2004 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast