Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bokey ?

Default Bokey ?

Hi guys, anyone can adivse what is mean by "bokey" ? saw this several times in the forum but dont understand what it means. tks

The term is "Bokeh" and it refers to the background blur when you shoot with the aperture wide open... like this

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    The term is "Bokeh" and it refers to the background blur when you shoot with the aperture wide open... like this

no no .... the background blur is caused by what we would call depth of field.

"Bokeh describes the rendition of out-of-focus points of light."

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm. Read this article for more information. It give a pretty good description of bokeh, as well as what is good and bad bokeh.

there is a common misunderstanding / confusion between depth of field and bokeh

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

bokeh or more correctly boke is the subjective quality of the rendition of all out of focus areas. Not just highlights.

Yes, there is indeed a general confusion between bokeh and shallow DOF.

A perhaps better article to read would be this

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

Ahh, that's interesting, we all learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm. Read this article for more information. It give a pretty good description of bokeh, as well as what is good and bad bokeh.

tks darrelchia, still abit confuse but at least me got a good idea . Also tks to gooseberry for providing the link

is good to learn something new everyday; at least it shows that i am still alive

just trying to understand, no offence i hope , from the picture terence provide, i presume that is a bad bokeh

Quote Originally Posted by digipat2003
    just trying to understand, no offence i hope , from the picture terence provide, i presume that is a bad bokeh
    Hehe, I'd be interested to know too... this has been an enlightening subject although I must admit the 2 articles are not that easy to understand.

Default Good Bokeh..

Hehe, I'd be interested to know too... this has been an enlightening subject although I must admit the 2 articles are not that easy to understand.
    This is good bokeh lah..

Technically doesn't look too bad, just that the red, white and black background make for uneasy viewing, sort of "hellish" if you know what I mean. YMMV

Learn new word today.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Technically doesn't look too bad, just that the red, white and black background make for uneasy viewing, sort of "hellish" if you know what I mean. YMMV
    How ironic, "hellish"... this shot was taken during a chuch service

I think this shot might give an example of what shallow DoF is. The lips and sari strap are in focus but just about everything behind it is a little soft. I think my misconception lies with the fact that bokeh was achieved through shooting wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by haohan
    This is good bokeh lah..
    overall i think is good bokeh, but the white spot on the right hand top let me think is bad bokeh, "according to the description i interpret from the link, dont know whehter is it correct or not ", so i am confused

How ironic, "hellish"... this shot was taken during a chuch service
    Ouch! Me bad......

I think this shot might give an example of what shallow DoF is. The lips and sari strap are in focus but just about everything behind it is a little soft. I think my misconception lies with the fact that bokeh was achieved through shooting wide open.

You take good pictures but why am I seeing that you seems does not pay attention to the eyes. In most of your pics that I had seen, the eyes does not seems to be in focus?!

Quote Originally Posted by digipat2003
    wait till you see the 50mm F1.8 bokeh.. rally bad

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    You take good pictures but why am I seeing that you seems does not pay attention to the eyes. In most of your pics that I had seen, the eyes does not seems to be in focus?!
    Is it? I usually try to focus around the face but shooting wide open u need to be really spot on to get the eyes in focus.

I put up that shot as an example of what can go wrong when shooting wide open. I wouldn't have put it up otherwise as I don't think it's well shot at all.

Is it? I usually try to focus around the face but shooting wide open u need to be really spot on to get the eyes in focus.

I put up that shot as an example of what can go wrong when shooting wide open. I wouldn't have put it up otherwise as I don't think it's well shot at all.
    It is just how I feel about your pics, tats all. You dun really have to take it too seriously.
    And also pls dun let your ego haunt you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast