Thread: Sigma or Canon Lens?

Default Sigma or Canon Lens?

Hi. I own a Canon film SLR body. Like to get a wide zoom and telephoto zoom lens. How would you recommend on getting Sigma or Canon lens or maybe other brands? Please help me to analyse in terms of quality, reliability, and cost. Thanks!

What's your budget and shooting needs? Portraits? Weddings? Nature? Street? etc.... I think there must be a hundred past threads covering questions like yours.

I like to know if given a choice for the similar focal length lens, will you buy canon or sigma lens?

it really depends on which range, n ur budget.

Quote Originally Posted by spmong
    I like to know if given a choice for the similar focal length lens, will you buy canon or sigma lens?
    if pocket have money, buy canon as no issue with further DSLR that canon implement and faster AF due to USM.

If no, sigma will do also. Do a search on sigma and canon in clubsnap.
    There are tamron and tokina for you to check out.

I have sigma and canon lens due to the above reason also.
    Last edited by Snowcrash; 23rd September 2004 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chenwei
    it really depends on which range, n ur budget.

Ok. Can I say in general that Sigma lens will be cheaper for similar range to Canon, or it still depends?

Sometimes third party lenses have different aperture speeds compared to their original counterparts.

I was looking out for a 20mm lens, and Canon produces a 20mm/F2.8 while Sigma's one is a 20mm/F1.8 (and its cheaper). Quality wise, I'm told the sigma one performs quite well. So sometimes its not all about getting canon lenses. Buy to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by spmong
    Ok. Can I say in general that Sigma lens will be cheaper for similar range to Canon, or it still depends?
    That's generally true, third party lenses are often priced below the original manufacturers.

I don't really understand what your point is with this thread. Are you trying to get recommendation on lenses? If so, you can either do a search on past threads discussing this often discussed topic or let us know what your needs and budget are.

I wouldn't overlook Sigma or Tamron stuff just because they are cheaper.

3rd party stuff are in most cases cheaper by quite a bit(based on my standards) and in certain cases IMO quality is rather comparable to that of original Canon lenses.
    In addition, certain lenses like the Sigma 20/1.8 and 100-300/4 have no canon equivalent.
    Personally im a strong supporter of 3rd party goods as my pockets aren't really that deep and so far they haven't given me any reason to complain.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Thanks guys.
    I think your comments are good enough for me to make a decision to buy the type of lens I want. Thanks....