Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod question

Anyone got any opinions/reviews of the Velbon CF series, such as the Sherpa 630 series?

Deregistered

GYR, get a Gitzo lah, mai tu liao, need some encouragement from me bo?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    GYR, get a Gitzo lah, mai tu liao, need some encouragement from me bo?
    No no, get Velbon... good light and cheap..

lemme know if it's good and I'll get one too...

Velbon, i have touched on before on my friend's, feels good and supposedly it's one of the lighter ones among the CF league too? But it's at least 400+ right?

I'm looking at the Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-630, selling at Eastgear for $579. Eastgear

I like the unextended height of 135cm, which means after I put the ballhead on and the camera, it should be just nice at eye level. The weight is also pretty nice and the price is cheaper than an equivalent Gitzo CF. Anyone used this tripod before?

BTW, whats the price of the Gitzo 1227? Anyone?

Default I would recommend one.....

Hi Gymrat...

I'm currently using the 530 Sherpa-Pro /Neo Carmagne.....
    Its sturdy and handy(light). As i;m alittle "katek" short....
    the 530 with a ballhead and body with grip is just nice....
    The Lens with Collor also sits nicely on it with viewfinder at eye level....

Do check it out if you dont wanna spend too much on one for the other brands...

Whcy not go to Eastgear and check out......with your equipment...

rgds,
    sulhan

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    BTW, whats the price of the Gitzo 1227? Anyone?
    dunno abt the 1227, but a friend of mine got the 1228, for about SGD$800++... almost twice as expensive as the Velbon 640 at 599...

Mebbe I'd get the velbon... hehehee

I noticed lots of ppl go for the 1228 instead of the 1227. May I know what made you decide this? The 1228 is a 4-section tripod, and the 1227 is a 3 section tripod, so the 1227 is clearly better in that respect, although the 1228 is shorter when folded down. Am curious to know what made you guys decide on the 1228 vs 1227. Thanks

Deregistered

Pssssstt GYR.... Buy both.

BUY BUY BUY!!!

Evil evil

Deregistered

Evil evil
    GYR, you don't know me very well do you..

I noticed lots of ppl go for the 1228 instead of the 1227. May I know what made you decide this? The 1228 is a 4-section tripod, and the 1227 is a 3 section tripod, so the 1227 is clearly better in that respect, although the 1228 is shorter when folded down. Am curious to know what made you guys decide on the 1228 vs 1227. Thanks
    I dun have a 1228.. wish I have... am just comtemplating the Velbon 640 4 section...

Why 4 section over 3 section? shorter when folded up lor... personal preference, I like it shorter. eitherway I've tried out both the 1228 and the 640, both is as sturdy... now is either find some loan shark, or some other way to salvage some cash... hehehehe...

Shorter folded length, shorter extended length and slightly ligher weight. Also the 1228 is more expensive than 1227, think close to $50 or so difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    Shorter folded length, shorter extended length and slightly ligher weight. Also the 1228 is more expensive than 1227, think close to $50 or so difference.
    but the the difference would be between 800 and 850 the like... so er..;P

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    but the the difference would be between 800 and 850 the like... so er..;P
    Something like that, Euros has since went up a bit, and so have stuff from European origin. For exact price, got to check with CP.

True that 4 section = shorter folded length and marginal weight saving, but its also less stable than a 3 section tripod, and you'd have to manipulate 9 locking collars vs 6, right?

The weight difference between 1228 and 1227 is marginal (only 60g). The main reason why people go for 1228 is because of the shorter folded length. If you want to bring it overseas, you cannot hand-carry up the aircraft. The only way is to put it in check-in luggage. The length therefore cannot exceed the diagonal of the luggage, otherwise you cannot put it in.

If you don't intend to bring overseas, I would recommend you get the 1227. Yes, manipulating 6 locks is easier and faster than 9. Plus 1227 is a tad more stable and has a slightly taller height (about 7cm).

True that 4 section = shorter folded length and marginal weight saving, but its also less stable than a 3 section tripod, and you'd have to manipulate 9 locking collars vs 6, right?

Stability between the 2 is quite marginal, though less sections will be more stable than more sections.

I believe most ppl who choose 1228 over 1227 is about the shorter folded length. But if folded length is not a concern, 1227 is better as it's cheaper, taller extended height, slightly more stable and less locks to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    The weight difference between 1228 and 1227 is marginal (only 60g). The main reason why people go for 1228 is because of the shorter folded length. If you want to bring it overseas, you cannot hand-carry up the aircraft. The only way is to put it in check-in luggage. The length therefore cannot exceed the diagonal of the luggage, otherwise you cannot put it in.
    What if the hand-carry luggage is a Lowepro AW II with the tripod strapped in? Will a 65cm tripod leg pass (without ballhead of coz)?

No, at this day and age, airport security is highly highly unlikely to let you hand carry a tripod because in theory, it can be used as a weapon. There is no use arguing about whether the metal fork is more dangerous or whatever ... if they say no, it means no. I have heard some people who don't care and still want to try - in the end, kena stop at the metal detector, LL got to go back and check it in. Worst, by that time, your luggage has already been checked in earlier, so now no more protection.

There was a guy who didn't know and tried to board at last minute, in the end, when forced to check in the tripod, he didn't even have time to wrap or unscrew his ballhead. When he got the tripod back, the ballhead was locked up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast