Thread: Which lens for indoor sports/no flash?

Default Which lens for indoor sports/no flash?

Hello all,

I'll be shooting some badminton and probably some table tennis as well. During the official tournament times, there is courtside restriction for photographers - about 10m away in a couple of fixed locations, and definitely no flash. Lighting is indoor night lighting (sodium/fluorescent - but I think my WB is sorted).

Been trying 2.8 zooms (70-200IS), etc but cannot get good shots even at 1/500, ISO 1600 as the action is quite fast - hands/rackets are all too blur - looks like some kung fu special effect with 'ghost hands' most of the time. Need up to 1/1000 or more mostly. ISO 1600 also quite grainy and needs more post processing.

Anyone has experience with shooting these sports? Do you use mostly fast primes? 200/1.8s are hard to come by, I'm thinking of a 135/F2, any other considerations?

Default re

U may try 50mm f1.4 then crop the picture in photoshop.

Altezza, you may find the following article useful :
    http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/rev..._135/index.htm

The EF135 is a good lens. For indoor sports if you really need shutter speed, sometimes you have to bump up the ISO. The graininess isn't so bad when its printed.

The 70-200 would give you more versitility as you can frame the action better.

Hmmm. Sounds like only the 200mm f1.8 will do the trick.

Deregistered

probably thte 85/1.8 would do the trick for that extra 1/3 stop...

Thanks all,

The framing distances I am getting from my 70-200 are mostly in the 120-180 range, can't get close enough to use a 85, or 50mm (although cropping is a solution as Meng suggested). Guess I'll try to hunt down a 135/f2........no stock locally it seems.