Thread: Lens Recommendation? Nikon Mount

Default Lens Recommendation? Nikon Mount

Hi guys , I was thinking of upgrading from my MF SLR into an AF film SLR, and would like to ask for some recommendation on lens so I can work out my budget.

Firstly, would like to know what primes are usually used for studio portrait photography? Are zooms commonly used?

Also, would you guys kindly recommend me some value for money fast (f2.8 preferbly) third party zooms as well? I need a wide zoom probably 18-35? and a 28-70 or 28-80 and lastly 80-200 . Dont think I can afford any Nikkors AF-S VR etc. So can narrow down the recommendation.

Thanks in advance

ok.....for portraits i use my 50mm prime...coz on digital it transfers to become like 75mm...

mid range zoom i own a sigma 28-70 f2.8 .... great image quality

telezoom i hope to get a 80-200 f2.8 two touch soon.....haha...

this will cover alot of stuff....got WA zoom, most are not really tt great....wat bout considering the sigma 20mm prime...heard tt its really good...

another thing...all my stuff are non AF-S .... still shooting film...

if u have MF lens...sell them and use ya new AF ones...

cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    another thing...all my stuff are non AF-S .... still shooting film...

if u have MF lens...sell them and use ya new AF ones...

cheers!!!
    yeah haha hope to sell, but dunno who might want. Anyway your 28-70 is tokina rite? i read that there are many models of tokina and the recent one 28-80 is not very good optically. So which one is best?

Deregistered

I have a 17-35 AF-S if you want,

btw, the cheapest VR is the 24-120VR at $9xx/-

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatfish
    yeah haha hope to sell, but dunno who might want. Anyway your 28-70 is tokina rite? i read that there are many models of tokina and the recent one 28-80 is not very good optically. So which one is best?
    Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 Pro II version. IMO, that's the best!
    If you are shooting film i.e. 35mm, for protraiture lens, I suggest the following Nikkor lens:- 85 mm f/1.4D AF lens & 105mm f2 DC lens. These are the well-established protriatures lens with good bokeh rendering.
    Last edited by eric69; 23rd September 2004 at 01:58 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 Pro II version. IMO, that's the best!
    Not the Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f/2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    If you are shooting film i.e. 35mm, for protraiture lens, I suggest the following Nikkor lens:- 85 mm f/2.8D AF lens & 105mm DC lens. These are the well-established protriatures lens with good bokeh rendering.
    Erm the 85 f/1.4, 105 f/2DC 135 f2/DC lens would be very good portraiture lens, even the 70-200 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Not the Nikkor AF-S 28-70 f/2.8?
    He's asking for Tokina lens wat, isn't he?

Erm the 85 f/1.4, 105 f/2DC 135 f2/DC lens would be very good portraiture lens, even the 70-200 is good.
    oohs, my apology for being embarrassing myself here. Yeah, 85 f1.4mm and 105 f2. I got the aperture wrong. But nevertheless, these are the delicated protraiture lens. Super, man! Thanks.

haha. okay, looks like i have to give the primes a miss, 85mm f1.4 , 105 f2 DC and 135 DC are all not cheap.

the AF-S,VR also cannot afford man.

how about the third party brands.?

the tokina 28-70 f2.6-f2.8 , are they still selling at shops? Whats the price and why is it so good?
    Last edited by bigfatfish; 23rd September 2004 at 02:20 PM.

If you want somethng sharp, can try the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR - very much sharper than the Tokina, and is one of the most affordable lens in this range, just a tad above 600 bucks, and somewhat less if you get used. Try shoot a few shots with it and you'll be amazed by how good it is!