Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A K5 for half the price?

Default Re: A K5 for half the price?

Quote Originally Posted by tsammyc View Post
    Yes, only manual focus. But the C3 has peaking focus, so as you manual focus, objects that are in focus are highlighted. Makes it very easy to manual focus. Actually even better than autofocus because if the object you want to focus on is at the side of the frame on my K5, I aim the center at the object, half press the shutter and then compose the frame. On the C3, its much easier, frame first and then turn the manual focus until the object is highlighted and shoot. No need to recompose.
    if u're using the K5, its so easy to select the corner AF point before shooting... why must re-compose?

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    if u're using the K5, its so easy to select the corner AF point before shooting... why must re-compose?
    It is faster to recompose than use AF select points. but it is much better if you use AF select points when shooting with narrow DOF in which a little bit of movement would throw the focus away from subject.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

I'm old school so I'm normally on center autofocus and find it easier to use the K5 viewfinder center to lock the focus and recompose and shoot than have to

1. Move the focus lever to SEL
    2. Fiddle with the four buttons to change the AF point
    3. Shoot
    4. Move the focus lever back to center

Focus lock also allows more precise focussing.
    Panasonic TZ-110

I finally got my DA-NEX K mount adapter in which allows me to mount my DA lenses with aperture control. I must say that the DA40 looks quite attractive on the NEX C3. Because it's black, it looks even better than Sony's own lens and the Kipon adapter also goes well

Panasonic TZ-110

with aperture control mean it will control in the cam?

No, the DA series lenses don't have an aperture ring like the FA lenses, so this Kipon adapter adds that. On the camera side, just set to aperture priority and exposure is automatic
    Panasonic TZ-110

I'm old school so I'm normally on center autofocus and find it easier to use the K5 viewfinder center to lock the focus and recompose and shoot than have to

1. Move the focus lever to SEL
    2. Fiddle with the four buttons to change the AF point
    3. Shoot
    4. Move the focus lever back to center

Focus lock also allows more precise focussing.
    Ok this reply is a bit late, but I just leave the AF lever at SEL and use the buttons to change AF point as needed. If you want to recenter the AF point you just need to hit the center "Ok" button twice. It takes a bit of practice but once your hand remembers the location of the buttons you can easily change it with the camera to your eye.

The focus peaking feature is definitely very cool and I agree completely removing the need to select focus points makes the shooting process arguably more natural. But the downside I feel is that the viewfinder becomes very cluttered - there is a certain joy in looking through a viewfinder which is completely free of distractions or any electronic overlays.

No, the DA series lenses don't have an aperture ring like the FA lenses, so this Kipon adapter adds that. On the camera side, just set to aperture priority and exposure is automatic
    now if only they had an adaptor to make K&M lenses into A lenses :-)

on the serious side, i do wonder about the form factor though. the da40mm looks almost ridiculously small attached to almost any Pentax DSLR. But on that nex it just looks like the size that a kit lens shld be on the Sony. kinda defeats the purpose of the da40mm which is it's "pancakishness"...

i have a k-x with a da40. maybe we should put them side-by-side with your nex for comparison, take a picture and let the folks here comment?

When you have a full APS-C sensor, the lens needs to be of a certain size otherwise, it won't cover the sensor.

The DA40 is one of the sharpest lenses and is certainly sharper in the corner than any of Sony's E lenses. I have both the KX and K5 too. I've done it and the K5 or KX with a normal prime lens like the FA31 is about 3 times the size of the NEX/DA40. I'll tkae In fact, I have this tiny Sony bag designed for the NEX, which just nicely squeezes in the FA77 and DA40 and that is my usual kit.
    Panasonic TZ-110

but if you had 2 da40s then you could compare like-for-like betw the nex5 and k-x and let people decide which suits them more... form factor-wise of course... can't speak about IQ and usability and other stuff cos i don't have a nex to compare (though i must say the "peek" function peaked my MF interest).

when i have the da40 on my k-x i don't even bother carrying a bag. i just sling the camera diagonally across one shoulder and i never have to worry about the lens assembly knocking into anything cos there isn't a lens barrel to speak of. that is why i love the da40 and makes it unique!

Here is my usual configuration for both cameras (sorry iPhone pictures)

Here I took the DA40 off the NEX and put it on the K5
    Panasonic TZ-110

i'll have to say from photos, there is still a big size difference...

Quote Originally Posted by GSiGuy View Post
    i'll have to say from photos, there is still a big size difference...
    i agree... it transforms the DA40 from a pancake to a cupcake...

i agree... it transforms the DA40 from a pancake to a cupcake...
    Haha! Not exactly what i meant but yes, from no lens barrel to more than double the width... I have to concede that, from the last pic taken, the k5+DA40 still looks substantially larger than a nex+adaptor+da40. I know which i would choose but i suppose it's always good to have choices for people.

Haha! Not exactly what i meant but yes, from no lens barrel to more than double the width... I have to concede that, from the last pic taken, the k5+DA40 still looks substantially larger than a nex+adaptor+da40. I know which i would choose but i suppose it's always good to have choices for people.
    yeah... i'm sure its a lotta fun to use a modern DA lens like an ancient M42 lens...

yeah... i'm sure its a lotta fun to use a modern DA lens like an ancient M42 lens...
    i must admit i haven't been following this thread with much diligence but does having the adaptor mean you can't AF on the nex with a DA40 on?

i must admit i haven't been following this thread with much diligence but does having the adaptor mean you can't AF on the nex with a DA40 on?
    yup... set aperture using the adapter - which has no markings by the way, so you have to agar-agar the aperture.

definitely no AF.

i don't know how sophisticated the NEX is, so i'm not sure if metering modes are also affected.

its not just half the price - its also less than half the functionality when mounting k-mount lenses. i suppose if one take the view that as long as it can focus to infinity and take pictures, then ok lor... it works for some pple.

yup... set aperture using the adapter - which has no markings by the way, so you have to agar-agar the aperture.

definitely no AF.

i don't know how sophisticated the NEX is, so i'm not sure if metering modes are also affected.

its not just half the price - its also less than half the functionality when mounting k-mount lenses. i suppose if one take the view that as long as it can focus to infinity and take pictures, then ok lor... it works for some pple.
    oic... thanks for the clarification... not that i have considered getting one cos if i get a nex i suppose i would just use sony lenses almost exclusively. that ensures all functions are available to me.

but what do i know? i hear cupcakes are the "in" thing now...
    Last edited by GSiGuy; 2nd August 2011 at 05:15 PM.

Coming from a K5 user, I can tell you that the C3/PK mount combo works extremely well with the "peaking focus" and its an excellent choice for a 2nd small body for a K5 user. It's clearly not the best combo if you don't have an investment in K mount lenses.

I understand the negative comments though. Here's a shot with the DA40 & NEX C3 Took a split second to focus using "peaking focus" and I could see the exact depth of field...

Last edited by tsammyc; 2nd August 2011 at 06:46 PM.
    Panasonic TZ-110

Nice pic. I suppose if people are prepared to accept the limitations that come with the adaptor on a PK mount lens (like yourself) then they will view it as a smaller body alternative to a K5. Main thing is that YOU are comfortable using it that matter's most.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast