Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: monopod

Default Re: monopod

based on your flickr photos and your camera type, i'd say you don't really need a monopod. just proper handholding techniques will suffice since you take mostly daytime street, candid and flora. reasons being:

1. monopods are useful for support for really heavy setups (e.g. long lenses) where tripod is prohibited/not feasible. so unless u plan on shooting birds, racecars, fast sports with a 300, 400 or 500mm lens, monopod will only make your street/candid photography harder;
    2. extra stabilization for night shots where simple handheld can not make it. and this is only for speeds 1/20s or 1/10s. if you're doing LE shots for 3-30 secs, better use your tripod instead;
    3. monopod ballheads, IMO, are redundant. monopods are meant to take the weight of your camera so its best orientation is straight up, with the camera centered. others might argue its if you want to take in portrait orientation. but if you hang your camera to the side as in with a ballhead, you move the center of gravity to one side making it difficult to stabilize the monopod. these are just my opinions, of course, and others may disagree, but its a point to ponder if you REALLY need a monopod for now.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Hi pasay,

Hehe the reason why i thought of using a monopod is because my hands will tremble. Could be like what you say, cause i am still new to photography and also the way i hold the camera. I did a lot of google search and follow the techniques then i practice them at home everyday, somehow my hand still shakes and it will be bad if i use a 50mm f1.8 lens without IS.
    I was thinking of using a monopod for people like me that may often have hand tremble so that i can still continue with this hobby and yet can take some stable shot.
    but your opinions is very true as well, most people i see that take nice pictures like my brother, dont really use a monopod and yet can get sharp pictures ( when we use same settings ) which i conculded could be due to my nature trembling hands. hehe
    And yeah lor, use monopod and 'aim' my object really look funny and only attract them to see and know i am shooting them.... haiz....
    Alot of people says that if you got trembling hands, not suitable to take photography as a hobby but i thought that maybe not as a professional rice bowl but hobby should still be ok and trying to proof myself wrong ( i hope i can proof myself wrong! :P )
    I currently got a t loan monopod so i am gonna try with both and give myself more time with daily practice. hehe

Tripod hor, i try to bring out on my first day of shooting in the day, but i realised that by the time i set up the tripod, my object gonez liao HAHA

But i will also take your advise in and i will keep practising hopefully i can get the proper holding techniques ( i got mine from reading and youtube ) + all the standing and breathing method :P
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz
    Hi pasay,

Hehe the reason why i thought of using a monopod is because my hands will tremble. Could be like what you say, cause i am still new to photography and also the way i hold the camera. I did a lot of google search and follow the techniques then i practice them at home everyday, somehow my hand still shakes and it will be bad if i use a 50mm f1.8 lens without IS.
    I was thinking of using a monopod for people like me that may often have hand tremble so that i can still continue with this hobby and yet can take some stable shot.
    but your opinions is very true as well, most people i see that take nice pictures like my brother, dont really use a monopod and yet can get sharp pictures ( when we use same settings ) which i conculded could be due to my nature trembling hands. hehe
    And yeah lor, use monopod and 'aim' my object really look funny and only attract them to see and know i am shooting them.... haiz....
    Alot of people says that if you got trembling hands, not suitable to take photography as a hobby but i thought that maybe not as a professional rice bowl but hobby should still be ok and trying to proof myself wrong ( i hope i can proof myself wrong! :P )
    I currently got a t loan monopod so i am gonna try with both and give myself more time with daily practice. hehe

Tripod hor, i try to bring out on my first day of shooting in the day, but i realised that by the time i set up the tripod, my object gonez liao HAHA

But i will also take your advise in and i will keep practising hopefully i can get the proper holding techniques ( i got mine from reading and youtube ) + all the standing and breathing method :P
    Could be ur shooting in low light n slower shutter dat caused ur pic came out blurrish. For me, anything slower than 1/40 will have prob.
    If all ur photo turned out blur blur hor, then could be ur hand. Or worst, the cam's AF could be siao siao liao..
    Consult the senior here first lah b4 splashing on unnecessary gears..
    Last edited by tehcbing; 18th July 2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Shoot first, think later

Pump up the ISO so that it allows you to shoot at a faster shutter speed.
    For the time being, concentrate on your compositions while you practice on the breathing techniques. Rule of thumb, always shoot at speed faster (longer) than your focal length. Example, 50mm lens, minimum 1/50s or more, 100mm - 1/100s shutter speed & so on.

Learn the basics well & photograhy will take you a long way into your hobby
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    i think ts just want thread post -.-!
    TS joined 3rd July 2011 and in 15 days, started 13 threads. This lady has a voracious appetite indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    TS joined 3rd July 2011 and in 15 days, started 13 threads. This lady has a voracious appetite indeed...
    Cause i got too much question to ask liao.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post
    hahaha. thats normal.....
    Lousy de My Flickr

Whatever it is, just dont lose heart and faith..
    Keep shooting ok!!!

I'm thinking: will a bit of dumbbell lifting help us build some muscles, resulting in more stable hands?

I found myself trembling a little while taking flower pics. Don't really like that! :/
    Last edited by SkimMilk; 18th July 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Hi pasay,

let me help you get started then although you might have already visited these sites
    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...d-camera-shake
    http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/shortlens.html
    and of course my fave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Hi pasay,

Actually everyone started off with a bit of trembling hand. Sometime it helps to pump up ISO, so you can shoot at a much faster speed. In time you will be able to shoot at lower speed. For me, I can shoot at around 1/10 without IS and still get pretty sharp pics most of the time even when I am handling a 300mm lens... but that is nothing to boast about... I have seen people doing much lower too.

there is nothing wrong with using a monopod actually and there is not so much theory behind what to bring or what not. Everything is up to individual... like I always say, whatever works for you. I have seen people using weirder stuff to steady their hand... as for myself, I always look or something to lean on even in bright sunlight.

The only thing about monopod is that you would have to be careful where you turn... especially when you are in tight areas and with lots of people around you... and where you put your monopod... you might end up tripping someone

Actually going to the internet and get tips from them is a good start (you already have done it) and practicing in the room is good too... But joining others for an outing is a better way... there the seniors will be able to see your posture and maybe give you better advices too.
    Last edited by rhino123; 19th July 2011 at 08:53 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

haha im having that problem also....

well i believe holding your breath b4 u shoot helps abit =x
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    haha im having that problem also....

well i believe holding your breath b4 u shoot helps abit =x
    Er... some would have stated otherwise. Because when you hold your breath, your heart beats faster and so it would make you tremble even more.

Sometime it would be good to breath slowly, and when you exhale slowly, your heart beat will be at a normal rate, and when you feel comfortable and steady (look through the viewfinder) then press the shutter button and you get a good and sharp pic.

My point is... different people had different way of steadying himself/herself... so... whatever works, do it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi Pasay, Rhino123 ,

Thanks for the advise.

Tehcb : Thanks for the encouragement.

Skimmilk & Lucky : we shall keep practising lol. till the day we master this art of holding the camera and shoot with zero shake!

Blog Entries

Hi Pasay, Rhino123 ,

Thanks for the advise.

Tehcb : Thanks for the encouragement.

Skimmilk & Lucky : we shall keep practising lol. till the day we master this art of holding the camera and shoot with zero shake!
    haha... shake sure will shake abit 1..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Shooting at 1/20 without any IS / monopod, gets blur image, isitz common for a newbie?
    My ISO is set at 100.
    Using Shutter Priority, i set it at 1/20.
    Last edited by dreamsz; 19th July 2011 at 08:47 PM.

Shooting at 1/20 without any IS / monopod, gets blur image, isitz common for a newbie?
    My ISO is set at 100.
    Using Shutter Priority, i set it at 1/20.
    What are you shooting with these parameters, especially the low iso?

I just practising holding technique hehe so was shooting at home :P

I just practising holding technique hehe so was shooting at home :P
    u can experiment with diff ISO setting.. 100, 200, 400 and so on.. see the difference when u push ur ISO and increase the shutter speed..

Shoot macro often, it helps built up ur breathing technique. Inhale, slowly exhale, shoot when you are relax after the exhale.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast