Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to pick up photography.

Default Re: Starting to pick up photography.

Hi EddyKoh, symmetrix,

Thanks for your valuable comment which definitely will help newbies/noob like me understand better.

As for Spree, no words say lar. You always super helpful one. haha

Aside to TS, sorry took part of your thread :P
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by symmetrix View Post
    The image quality difference you get from 3rd party and OEM lenses is not always night and day. Some 3rd party lenses rival those made by OEM's, with a cheaper price. And even if they don't, some may just offer marginal improvement with an exponential price difference. For some people, they need to have the best (e.g. work-related). For others, value for money is the primary driving factor.

My point: don't write off 3rd-party lenses just because they don't carry the name "Nikkor". Decide on the individual equipments' merits rather than on the brand stamped on them.

My $0.02.
    No worries.. I do own a sigma lens.. I do admit that there are good 3rd party lenses. Just a personal preference. Like some prefer Canon to Nikon..

Just to share, i have a 600D and holding it was ok but not super fit kind however, during when my purchase moment, i dare not buy because its like for semi pro where i am someone didnt even own a camera.
    After buying and going out for 3-4 days of continous shooting, then when my brother was poison, we went to buy his camera. The other shop CP name Mark intro him the d60 which 1 though, i felt the connection. So is he. except too heavy for a girl.
    He bought it, i didn't. Upset on the wrong choice of not having enough encouragement, i went to sold off the 600D and then bot myself a 60D from CP but through Andy whom had also recommended me good price, lenses and advise.
    I like both of their services alot and i highly recomment you to go down and look for them.

So buy body, must really dont care pro or not pro, most important fit hands well can liao. hope this help
    Last edited by dreamsz; 21st July 2011 at 07:35 AM.

Congrats on your purchase. Now stop posting, go out, and start shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post
    Just to share, i have a d600 and holding it was ok but not super fit kind however, during when my purchase moment, i dare not buy because its like for semi pro where i am someone didnt even own a camera.
    After buying and going out for 3-4 days of continous shooting, then when my brother was poison, we went to buy his camera. The other shop CP name Mark intro him the d60 which 1 though, i felt the connection. So is he. except too heavy for a girl.
    He bought it, i didn't. Upset on the wrong choice of not having enough encouragement, i went to sold off the 600D and then bot myself a 60D from CP but through Andy whom had also recommended me good price, lenses and advise.
    I like both of their services alot and i highly recomment you to go down and look for them.

So buy body, must really dont care pro or not pro, most important fit hands well can liao. hope this help
    From D600 to D60 to 600D and finally 60D. This journey must have not been easy ^^"
    The jump to 60D might be a little weight down for you atm. Shoot more and often to get used to the weight. Enjoy your "cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    From D600 to D60 to 600D and finally 60D. This journey must have not been easy ^^"
    The jump to 60D might be a little weight down for you atm. Shoot more and often to get used to the weight. Enjoy your "cannon"
    Sorry alot of typo :P
    Its a canon 600D to 60D nia. :P
    Zzzzzz i go edit.... ewww......

Btw, those reading dont misunderstood k, i am only trying to tell anyone whom had started to photography when buying a camera, the xxxD or xxD does not matter. Most important it must fit your budget and and fit the holding.
    Dont buy like a super power 7D then maybe if too big also no use as when holding is not good, the picture come out abit sala, then feel demoralized one.
    Last edited by dreamsz; 21st July 2011 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by symmetrix View Post
    Congrats on your purchase. Now stop posting, go out, and start shooting!
    Started..

Newbie problem for 1st time dslr user.
    FOCUSING.
    Damn!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post
    Started..

FOCUSING.
    Damn!
    shoooooooooooooooot more!!!
    Lousy de My Flickr

Started..

FOCUSING.
    Damn!
    Actually I have problems focusing too.. Then I was told to use a tripod. Then I used a monopod cos I do streets. Apparently the rule of thumb for shutter speed is quite true.. (50 mm lens - min 1/50 sec) Usually AF is quite accurate.. our hands are the problem.. Hope this helps.

Started..

FOCUSING.
    Damn!
    Can you elaborate more? What do you mean about Focusing issue. Is it that your lens cannot focus on the subject?

If that is the case, maybe you should choose one 1 focus point, target that focus point at your subject and see if it can focus lock on the subject.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    Actually I have problems focusing too.. Then I was told to use a tripod. Then I used a monopod cos I do streets. Apparently the rule of thumb for shutter speed is quite true.. (50 mm lens - min 1/50 sec) Usually AF is quite accurate.. our hands are the problem.. Hope this helps.
    I thought if you are using DX, your shutter should be at minimum 1/(50*1.5) ??
    Noob here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kayel79 View Post
    Noob here as well.
    Yup for DX you have to multiply by the crop factor.

Noob here as well.
    I only use it as a rule of thumb. Not hard and fast. I use 1/60 for 50 mm. Although it's equivalent to 75mm on a 1.5x crop. I don't use 1/80. Maybe it's a personal thing. But I do admit that 1/60 won't get me a really steady shot. but it's the lowest I can go. Although with luck, I've managed 1/30 or even 1/10.

Noob here as well.
    Actually there are really no such thing that anyone's shutter should be at 1/(XX). This is only a guide line. I mean some photographer with very steady hands can even hold a 400mm telelens and shoot at 1/50 speed with no problem... while some other couldn't even achieve 1/100 with a 50mm lens. My advise is, do not take these guide too seriously, it is up to yourself and your holding, breathing, etc techniques that makes the difference.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually there are really no such thing that anyone's shutter should be at 1/(XX). This is only a guide line. I mean some photographer with very steady hands can even hold a 400mm telelens and shoot at 1/50 speed with no problem... while some other couldn't even achieve 1/100 with a 50mm lens. My advise is, do not take these guide too seriously, it is up to yourself and your holding, breathing, etc techniques that makes the difference.
    Yes.. that's true.. Rule of thumb..

Yes. Welcome. I also joined a few days ago and this is a great community.
    Lots of respect for each other unlike forums like hwz where there are lots of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Can you elaborate more? What do you mean about Focusing issue. Is it that your lens cannot focus on the subject?

If that is the case, maybe you should choose one 1 focus point, target that focus point at your subject and see if it can focus lock on the subject.

I'm very new at this. But after a few days of just shooting only. i have manage to focus properly now. I would say better.

The problem was, i like to switch between different focus point, so my intention was to focus on a subject but end up focus on road or tree.

There is also another thing i'm still getting used to, after taking a picture i look at the preview, it seems to be in focus but when its in the computer its not in focus.
    or very "cloudy" like.

I'm also playing with manual focus, , still can not get it right . maybe out of 10 pics 1 would be in focus .

I still learning how to have settings (iso/a/s) calculated or as i see fit in my head for different scenario.
    The lighting condition and all.

There's a slightly inaccurate way but suffice for times when you do not have the luxury to switch focus point, point the active point at the subject, 1/2 press to AF, then recompose, making sure u only move up, down, left or right without moving forward or backwards. To be more safe, shoot at a smaller aperture (bigger F number) while trying this technique.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

the only time i play with manual focus so far, is to capture the rain drops when its raining lightly...

so fun!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast