Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to pick up photography.

Default Re: Starting to pick up photography.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz View Post
    Jia lak.... monday onwards cannot like that liao. if not sure out of job soon. :P
    And with that, you no longer have to worry about the 50 post criteria as you already have 67 posts.. you may now ditch the [img] tag and use the button on top. The upside of CS addiction. =P
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz

Jia lak.... monday onwards cannot like that liao. if not sure out of job soon. :P
    Sure ar?? We shall see.. Hehe..
    Shoot first, think later

For a start.. u can take a look at the entry level DSLR..
    If u only want to do street shots.. i guess most Small camera should do fine.. eg.. NEx..FujiX100.. EP system etc.. They are lighter and easy when traveling.. They produces v good pictures too..

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    For a start.. u can take a look at the entry level DSLR..
    If u only want to do street shots.. i guess most Small camera should do fine.. eg.. NEx..FujiX100.. EP system etc.. They are lighter and easy when traveling.. They produces v good pictures too..
    Good point. I'll see how it goes.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tehcbing View Post
    Sure ar?? We shall see.. Hehe..
    I try

watzzup : actually hor, me still very new lar. but hor, buy camera must really go down to hold one. If hand slightly bigger, then need to have hand comfort hehe
    Love the life you live, live the life you love - DreamszPhoto

Hi hi,

I m oso a newbie in photography and muz say tons of valuable knowledge in this forum.Have picked up a lot the past few weeks and doing research in getting my first DSLR.
    Indeed online reviews n recommendations r subjective and one would need to feel the cam physically to determine the best that meet your needs.

Welcome :0

Soon you'll have dreams of lens flying all over which is what I'm dreaming of now :P

The Macro & Zoom lens..

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsz
    Actually hor, starting to pick up photography, i find that i am often lost on what is a overall good lens.
    First is to choose either Prime / Zoom
    From i read, prime is sharper, zoom gives more range.
    Then weight also another.
    Then the starting 'mm' thingy simply confused me like no tomorrow. lol
    And worse, this few days totally no mood to work. Half the time i am googling and replying in this forum and reading this forum.... LOL
    I'm assuming you are looking for 1 overall good lens. Before further confusion, this lens doesn't exist. You have to give and take and measure the cost and benefit to your photography style. Even when u finally found one that suits most of or all your needs, you will still not be able to shoot something else that might interest u eventually.

If you are very confused with the technical terms, focus on one aspect per day, fully grasp the concept first. Then use what you know on the next aspect to learn the next day.

Prime and zoom alone are pretty big a topic that you won't understand u till you grasp the basics and a little few advanced topics. Furthermore, the difference in choice usually end up be person preferences.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Oh i just remembered another question.

This might be a stupid question.
    Like if i were to get a DSLR and i want to get additional lens.
    Am i allowed to try it at the shop?
    Like for example if i'm not sure to get a 35mm or 50mm, and i want to see the view
    will the sales person allow me to try it ?

Or do i have to already know which lens i want?

THanks

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup

Like for example if i'm not sure to get a 35mm or 50mm, and i want to see the view

THanks
    Some shops allows you to try, there are others who shrug you off. What you need to know is the right shop AND the right sales promoter. So far my best experience is from TKFoto.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post

THanks
    if you bought a kit (like the d5100 which comes with the 18-55mm), then you wont need to test in shop. set your lens to 35 or 50 at the comfort of your home to know which one you want. then head out to get it lor.

for newbies, its tough right now to decide what lens to get. and i personally feel that for newbies, you are never wrong to go with the kit. At least i feel that Nikon has already made the decision for you when you choose the camera.

for me, i bought my d7k body only + 18-55 + 55-200. then after going for a trip, realized that 18-55 too short for me. end up buying a used 18-105 (which is the kit lens for d7k). But then, i didn't sell my other lens cos IQ (image quality) is different.
    So my current config is like this:
    18-105mm + 50mm prime for family outings -- zoom for the reach, 50mm if we are relaxing and I can have the time and comfort to take bokeh-lisious shots.
    18-55 + 55-200mm when I am out shooting by myself --> can have the comfort to switch lenses and try out lots of different techniques + get better IQ pictures.

I'm not saying that the 18-105 does not produce great pics, but i prefer the 18-55 more. And it is alot lighter than the 18-105!

Overall good lens? Not really. Good all rounded lens? 24-70 f/2 would be my choice.(But very expensive for me) Personally I prefer primes cos it forces you to go nearer or step further. To me, distortion is slightly lesser too. But zoom lenses are great if you have the money for a fast zoom lens. Slower zoom lenses tend to frustrate you sometimes. lol..
    Hope this helps..

Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    Overall good lens? Not really. Good all rounded lens? 24-70 f/2 would be my choice.(But very expensive for me) Personally I prefer primes cos it forces you to go nearer or step further. To me, distortion is slightly lesser too. But zoom lenses are great if you have the money for a fast zoom lens. Slower zoom lenses tend to frustrate you sometimes. lol..
    Hope this helps..
    Which lens are you referring to when you said "Overall good lens? Not really." ? Also, its 24-70 f2.8. There are a lot of value for money zooms out there produced by 3rd party manufacturers, fast zoom lenses does not necessarily mean big money nowadays

I've gotten my first dslr. . decided on the D5100 instead of the micro 4/3rd. will try the micro 4/3rd when i get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by watzzup View Post
    I've gotten my first dslr. . decided on the D5100 instead of the micro 4/3rd. will try the micro 4/3rd when i get a chance.
    CONGRATS!!!!!! So first place to shoot is? :P

spree ar, 24-70 very expensive leh..... 2600+ @-@

CONGRATS!!!!!! So first place to shoot is? :P

spree ar, 24-70 very expensive leh..... 2600+ @-@
    I mean third party substitutes like the Tamron 28-75, original 24-70 of course expensive

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I mean third party substitutes like the Tamron 28-75, original 24-70 of course expensive
    Oh tamron 28-75 good? i open a thread to ask about the difference between these brand lens cause i still very blur to this. hehe

Oh tamron 28-75 good? i open a thread to ask about the difference between these brand lens cause i still very blur to this. hehe
    Its a pretty sharp lens, especially when you use it on cropped bodies as you don't have to worry about the corner sharpness. Focusing is a little noisy and not that fast but is satisfactory for the price that you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Which lens are you referring to when you said "Overall good lens? Not really." ? Also, its 24-70 f2.8. There are a lot of value for money zooms out there produced by 3rd party manufacturers, fast zoom lenses does not necessarily mean big money nowadays
    Oh..was just saying there isn't such a thing as an overall good lens. Lol.. Sorry about the lens specs. Been into primes lately.. hehe.. personally I prefer Nikkor lenses to other lenses. 3rd party lenses tend to be cheaper for a reason. LOL... Just a general preference. But it is a good option to start out with.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyKoh View Post
    Oh..was just saying there isn't such a thing as an overall good lens. Lol.. Sorry about the lens specs. Been into primes lately.. hehe.. personally I prefer Nikkor lenses to other lenses. 3rd party lenses tend to be cheaper for a reason. LOL... Just a general preference. But it is a good option to start out with.
    The image quality difference you get from 3rd party and OEM lenses is not always night and day. Some 3rd party lenses rival those made by OEM's, with a cheaper price. And even if they don't, some may just offer marginal improvement with an exponential price difference. For some people, they need to have the best (e.g. work-related). For others, value for money is the primary driving factor.

My point: don't write off 3rd-party lenses just because they don't carry the name "Nikkor". Decide on the individual equipments' merits rather than on the brand stamped on them.

My $0.02.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast