Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: which lenses type to buy.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Talking which lenses type to buy.

    hi fellow friends,
    i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
    thanks......

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    hi fellow friends,
    i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
    thanks......
    All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
    Hi Majere,
    most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? thanks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    Hi Majere,
    most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? thanks
    I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

  5. #5
    Member chantyeroop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    North Eastern Zone
    Posts
    1,281

    Default

    If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

    the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone......

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chantyeroop
    If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.
    thanks..will take a look at this len too...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone......
    what body you using?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    what body you using?
    i am using a Nikon F75

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone......
    That's a constraint you have to live with on that lens then. Know the minimum focusing distance and stay at the correct distance to avoid the lens hunting. Don't force the lens do something that it cannot.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    i am using a Nikon F75
    u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
    the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
    the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.
    thanks for yr help..will shop shop around...buy!!!!!buy!!!!!buy!!!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    52

    Default D70 can ?

    Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
    Hi there, can I am a newbie too - looking for telephoto at least 300mm - can the sigma lens be used for a Nikon D70 ?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Nonis
    Hi there, can I am a newbie too - looking for telephoto at least 300mm - can the sigma lens be used for a Nikon D70 ?

    just look for a nikon mount...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    52

    Default Newbie

    I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Nonis
    I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?
    how much did you buy it for?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    52

    Default price

    2nd hand $180

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Nonis
    I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?
    Yes, any lens >60mm can be considered milldly telephoto as a general rule of the thumb . And yup, 75-300mm is the focal length.

  19. #19

    Default

    I have been using nikon prime lens (50mm) and wide angle (24mm) so far due to the wide aperture possible. However I am considering whether to include a 28-105mm sigma lens. Any recommendation?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Nonis
    I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?
    Hi Darren,

    Where you got it? Im am looking for the same also. Not much budget willing to go for second hand stuffs. Any lobangs...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •