Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which lenses type to buy.

Talking which lenses type to buy.

hi fellow friends,
    i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
    thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao
    hi fellow friends,
    i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
    thanks......
    All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
    Hi Majere,
    most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? thanks

Hi Majere,
    most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? thanks
    I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone......

Quote Originally Posted by chantyeroop
    If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.
    thanks..will take a look at this len too...

the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone......
    what body you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    what body you using?
    i am using a Nikon F75

That's a constraint you have to live with on that lens then. Know the minimum focusing distance and stay at the correct distance to avoid the lens hunting. Don't force the lens do something that it cannot.

i am using a Nikon F75
    u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
    the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
    the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.
    thanks for yr help..will shop shop around...buy!!!!!buy!!!!!buy!!!!

Default D70 can ?

Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    Hi there, can I am a newbie too - looking for telephoto at least 300mm - can the sigma lens be used for a Nikon D70 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Nonis
    Hi there, can I am a newbie too - looking for telephoto at least 300mm - can the sigma lens be used for a Nikon D70 ?

just look for a nikon mount...

Default Newbie

I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?

I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ?
    how much did you buy it for?

Default price

2nd hand $180

Yes, any lens >60mm can be considered milldly telephoto as a general rule of the thumb . And yup, 75-300mm is the focal length.

I have been using nikon prime lens (50mm) and wide angle (24mm) so far due to the wide aperture possible. However I am considering whether to include a 28-105mm sigma lens. Any recommendation?

Hi Darren,

Where you got it? Im am looking for the same also. Not much budget willing to go for second hand stuffs. Any lobangs...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast