Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Debate on $500 wedding package

Everything thing has a starting point e.g a designer has to work as an intern, freelance or even free for a company before one can actually get recognition...

who doesn't want to make more $$??? Only when you have make a name for yourself then you will be able to command a higher price...

OT a bit......

This is to all the wedding photograpers out there. Can you all please wear nicer clothes when you go and take wedding pics?

One time I saw the photograper wearing hawaii shirt to formal wedding dinner. Wah lau!

If you are a professional, please dress appropriately. I'm not saying you have to go to the extent, but in europe and america, photograpers will rent a tuxedo to cover formal events.

simple, a photographer who charge $500 for wedding will fall flat flat and die. when his flash spoil, he will curse himself for not charging more to include running and sunk cost.

together, he will find it hard to raise his price in future.

Totally agree with kho king. Let the guy have some peace doing his business. If you're better than him, why be so insecure? wshooter, good luck in your business wor...

yeah.... Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by limhousen
    If you are a professional, please dress appropriately. I'm not saying you have to go to the extent, but in europe and america, photograpers will rent a tuxedo to cover formal events.
    For $500?

For wearing a tall hat and long tail, I want another $1,000.
    Last edited by Sion; 22nd September 2004 at 10:22 PM.

OT a bit......

This is to all the wedding photograpers out there. Can you all please wear nicer clothes when you go and take wedding pics?

One time I saw the photograper wearing hawaii shirt to formal wedding dinner. Wah lau!

yes...i think this is very important as it reflexes the personal image of a photographer. as for day time wedding day shoots.....wear polo-shirt and jeans......for dinner.....shirt and jeans....and shoes please.....ever saw photographer during dinner shot-out with sanddles

hmmm....i have seen wedding photog wearing sandals, jeans, tee shirt for the day..i am cool with tt..at night juz change to shoes....

but for formal wedding dinners...should at least wear a short sleeved shirt or something presentable rite??...??

regarding Wshooter...this is the way the free market works ya....in business, its all about being competitive....one has to make the clients believe that they are getting wat they are paying for....consumers these days are not dumb...most know a thing or two about everything....thus at the end of the day, i believe that it is up to them to choose....

cheers guys!!

hi guys . very interesting topic you have here ... well for my question is how good is good and how bad is bad for a picture ,,,, what i think generally all lies on the comsumer ... they like the pics ... they say is good ... they dont like ... they will find millions of fault with it . same as you go for a competition .. you submit the best picture which you have and you think is the best that you have ever take . but the judge dont like ... it will never make it into the final . someone have to start somewhere , somehow . no one came to this world with camera on their hand and say i am a professional photographer i will give you the best pics . even pro start from freelancing and discover their potential by the consumer and brand them as pro.

who in this forum dont want to own a studio and a few good set of shutters and travel round the world to take pics on paid assignment . but seems like the pros are hammering the freelancer down until they are worthless in this market . ... just my two cent view .

i wear jeans for shooting weddings bcoz i need to go down on my knees, climb on chairs, and sometimes prone down for shots.

i wear sandals for tea ceremonies bcoz i need to run in and out of the house, from bride's house to groom's car and back, etc etc, and i don't have time to put on shoes.

But i agree that the photog should try to dress appropriately/professionally and not look sloppy, esp for the dinner portion. i must try harder. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    simple, a photographer who charge $500 for wedding will fall flat flat and die. when his flash spoil, he will curse himself for not charging more to include running and sunk cost.

together, he will find it hard to raise his price in future.
    u mean wee khim or so and so pro started their career charging $5k per shoot liao? if wshooter is good and in demand, i dont think there's any prob for him to raise his price in the future..

if today wshooter advertise his service for $5k.. i bet some others will pass snide remark.. " wah lau wshooter, u think u so pro har, just starting want to charge $5k liao!".. right not?

so bottom line is leave him alone... i believe he's mature enough to decide for himself whether $500 is worth it or whether he will curse when his flash fail

Quote Originally Posted by wilis128
    u mean wee khim or so and so pro started their career charging $5k per shoot liao? if wshooter is good and in demand, i dont think there's any prob for him to raise his price in the future..

if today wshooter advertise his service for $5k.. i bet some others will pass snide remark.. " wah lau wshooter, u think u so pro har, just starting want to charge $5k liao!".. right not?

so bottom line is leave him alone... i believe he's mature enough to decide for himself whether $500 is worth it or whether he will curse when his flash fail

Ha...That is SO TRUE!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilis128

i think you know nothing about wee khim or who so whatever, so don't quote his name. You familiar with his price? Want to know his opinion on undercutting? If not dun bother arguing this angle.

i think you know nothing about wee khim or who so whatever, so don't quote his name. You familiar with his price? Want to know his opinion on undercutting? If not dun bother arguing this angle.
    why not u enlighten me?

WK does not undercut on price, period. As professional, people always remember yours last price and it will be very difficult to raise it.

If you dun believe, feel free to go ahead and try.

The point in this, is dun quote WK or whoever because from what you typed, i dun think you know him or work with him before.

Before this thread degenerates into a mudslinging session, pls bear in mind that we are all here to exchanges ideas and opinions. I see some emotional (and financial) issues being raised here, so let's all take a deep breath and maintain some objectivity in this thread.

The Moderator

yup, please dun quote Wee Khim name or anyone if you dun know him or/and his price.

OT a bit......

pls filp the magazines and do yourself a favour, dun spend all your hard earn money on your lenses, buy a decent pair of shoes, i seem countless photographers with flip flops.
    Go take a look at malls and buy a decent pair of pants/jeans for dinners and at least a collared shirt/ polo.

its not fashion sense per say, its dress sense. Look professional people will treat you like one and respect your work and your fees.

a fashion quote, hawaii shirts are out of fashion unless you are covering hawaii night or your weddings are held at outdoors at sentosa. period
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 24th September 2004 at 12:28 AM.

we've been talking about a lot of numbers here, so:

at $500 for a whole day job, what would be the estimated earnings after deducting all costs?

and if he gets a job almost every day to sustain his 20+ day working month, what would be his monthly income?

and looking at that monthly income, would that be considered decent pay for that level of work?

there're also others who don't shoot for a living. they shoot for some little extra cash to spend.... maybe a bit like people giving tuition on top of regular job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast