Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Marathon Contest 2004

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    duckizz, when all of us were waiting for the results at 9pm, i was joking with the "sentosa newbies". when the MC was saying that jonathan drake would be explaining why the winning photos were selected, i turned ard and said to them, "You know wat will be the answer? he's gonna say 'becos i like.'"

so, at the end of the day, it boils down to dat. i agreed with espn and scanner. some of the winning shots were like "huh?" to me. then there are those money shots dat were rejected. beats me....

as scanner has said, i enjoyed shooting with frens thru out the day and not so much abt the marathon itself, which IMO, was quite poorly runned and the themes left much to be desired.
    Actually not surprised if that's the explanation. Was just telling a few of the ppl I was shooting with that it's really whether the judges can see what we see when we shot our shots & whether they like what we see. But it's really a judging of preference. So to win is to really try to guess what the judges want. But to shoot, it's not so much of that but to express what u feel with ur cam.

Kinda enjoyed the experience. For me, I didn't think the themes were that bad lah. I agree luck is in play too. Probably resourcefulness to find what u wanna shoot, & to improvise what u have. But I guess organisationally, there was much room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by CY_OH
    Here is my entry for the Singapore Idol theme. It seems that I am the only one with the idea of luxury car/hotel idea. Strangely, I did not see my image on the projection screen yesterday. After downloading my picture, the image appeared as corrupt while reviewing but turned out fine at home.
    haha.. actually some of us were joking that maybe we should go to the car dealer just across Newton Circus to shoot some exotic cars. But finding the right composition to standout is a bit hard.

For ur photo, imho, actually I think the car stood out a bit too much. It wasn't til I read ur post that I noticed the Raffles Hotel in the background. So the focus was more of Merc being the idol of Singaporeans kinda idea.

I had that same idea too of photographing a merc's logo, but later put that idea off. Kinda find the last theme quite difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by plato
    Overall I felt that most of the good and creative shots came from the first theme, and probably most pple after giving it their best shot and seeing how the judging went, just lost motivation. I also thought it was absolutely hilarious how one person shot like 6-7 other photographers camping at the Raffles statue at sunset waiting to shoot the "Singapore Idol" theme!
    Hey, do you mean this pic?

The first thing that came to my mind was Sir Stamford Raffles. When I went there, I saw many fellow participants photographing the statue, then I thought of taking one shot that shows many people photographing Sir Stamford Raffles statue to make him more of an idol. But this shot is probably quite normal to the judges.

It was a tiring day. The themes were very vague to me, "The World" and "Island Life" can be anything. For the last theme "Singapore Idol", I can't be any more creative and my mind was rather blank. A good exposure and experience nevertheless.

yup, this is the pic i was referring to

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat
    Well done guys! I thought some of the shortlisted ones were really good. My fav were the "Man at Temple" for 1st theme, "Girl Shower" for 2nd theme, and "Girl kissing Ah Meng" for 3rd theme.

heh ... if only the judges think like you... me and my gf (lucky ah meng) might have stayed longer...

I guess most of us have to learn to see beyond the photos. Some of the shots that may look funny or ridiculous are indeed very creative. It's not just about shooting something abstract or using slow shutter or using any effect at all. Whatever you use, it has to have some impact on the viewer. For example, I felt Will03's shot was very creative. He took what was there (statue) and what appeared at the right time (sun) and composed a silhouette of the 'Singapore Idol'. At first, it seemed funny to most as they thought it was showing the middle finger. But on better examination of the finger or rather fingers, it was depicting a microphone. Correct me if my view is wrong, Will. Another 'funny' shot, the one taken in the toilet with flowers painted on the wall, was really simple and interesting. It simply showed the painted field of flowers is the world to the man appearing to be standing in front of a urinal.
    My shot was influenced by photojournalistic books which I have come across. So there wasn't anything creative about it. And it sort of had a sad theme to it. The 'beggar' was sitting in front of a place where people were making their offerings or prayers probably for good fortune. Everyone was passing him by, ignoring him (which I wanted to show using slow shutter). I also wanted to break the rule of thirds by placing him dead centre of the shot. Though some gave him money, I stopped short of it because I realised he was in fact a drunkard when he stumbled away.

This was another sad image which I had considered for submission for the 1st theme. But I felt it didn't have as much impact as the one submitted. I assumed the sleeping man a homeless chap.
    Last edited by Newman; 18th October 2004 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Liew

heh ... if only the judges think like you... me and my gf (lucky ah meng) might have stayed longer...
    Heh heh heh, I thought this was a nice shot also.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Heh heh heh, I thought this was a nice shot also.
    oh where did u find this ah meng ah ?

You guys have to think... is salon photography allow for such event?
    Ask yourself this questions. Some of the shots are good, but obviously,
    they are salon.

??? salon photography = ???
    me newbie, dunno wat it means.
    by the way, I've oso join'd yesterday's marathon... the process was really fun & enjoyable but the final judgement somehow... left me & my frens wondering... esp for the 1st theme.
    So who won the 3rd theme? I left b4 they announce cos gotta rush off to colleague's place.

Oh, I love the "Kissing Ah Meng" & "Statue with Sun at the finger" pix too! So cute... & the one Newman submitted was really... sad.
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

Salon photography means posed shots or shots that were set up.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    haha.. actually some of us were joking that maybe we should go to the car dealer just across Newton Circus to shoot some exotic cars. But finding the right composition to standout is a bit hard.

For ur photo, imho, actually I think the car stood out a bit too much. It wasn't til I read ur post that I noticed the Raffles Hotel in the background. So the focus was more of Merc being the idol of Singaporeans kinda idea.
    The submitted shot was taken around 6.30pm. I had another shot shown below taken earlier when the lobby lights were not on and both objects were more or less evenly illuminated. I chose the evening shot as the details in the hotel facade could be seen more clearly, the lobby lights were on and the Mercedes logo gave the picture a focal point.

I chose to include the hotel to balance the composition, otherwise it would be just a close up of the logo and car body. The hotel can be an idol too, as many of us would want to spend a night in a luxury suite there. Also, I only noticed at on my computer screen that the triangular part of the roof, the words Raffles Hotel are reflected on the rear windscreen.

Here is my earlier picture which was not submitted. No flash was used.

Last edited by CY_OH; 18th October 2004 at 02:04 AM.

Salon photography means posed shots or shots that were set up.
    Thx for the enlightenment.
    ~ 迷失的我仍在努力寻找属于自己的蓝天 ~

I guess most of us have to learn to see beyond the photos. Some of the shots that may look funny or ridiculous are indeed very creative. It's not just about shooting something abstract or using slow shutter or using any effect at all. Whatever you use, it has to have some impact on the viewer. For example, I felt Will03's shot was very creative. He took what was there (statue) and what appeared at the right time (sun) and composed a silhouette of the 'Singapore Idol'. At first, it seemed funny to most as they thought it was showing the middle finger. But on better examination of the finger or rather fingers, it was depicting a microphone. Correct me if my view is wrong, Will. Another 'funny' shot, the one taken in the toilet with flowers painted on the wall, was really simple and interesting. It simply showed the painted field of flowers is the world to the man appearing to be standing in front of a urinal.
    My shot was influenced by photojournalistic books which I have come across. So there wasn't anything creative about it. And it sort of had a sad theme to it. The 'beggar' was sitting in front of a place where people were making their offerings or prayers probably for good fortune. Everyone was passing him by, ignoring him (which I wanted to show using slow shutter). I also wanted to break the rule of thirds by placing him dead centre of the shot. Though some gave him money, I stopped short of it because I realised he was in fact a drunkard when he stumbled away.

This was another sad image which I had considered for submission for the 1st theme. But I felt it didn't have as much impact as the one submitted. I assumed the sleeping man a homeless chap.
    As they all say, imitation is the best form of flattery. In some way or another, our styles are influenced by the pictures we see, conciously and subconciously. So, I don't see what's wrong with your style. I think it's great that you incorporate interesting angles into your shots.

The best part about it, is that you also think about your shots. I enjoyed reading about your experience with that photo. I guess that just makes the picture different.

Like this shot too, btw.
    Last edited by valska; 18th October 2004 at 02:37 AM.

Congratz to all who got shortlisted and to those who took part and finished the marathon. I think some photos that weren't shortlisted were quite creative too. I guess itz really down to what the judges liked.

This is my shot for 2nd theme 'Island Life'. Billy dubbed it 'Shower Girl'.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat
    Well done guys! I thought some of the shortlisted ones were really good. My fav were the "Man at Temple" for 1st theme, "Girl Shower" for 2nd theme, and "Girl kissing Ah Meng" for 3rd theme.
    Lily: is this the 'Girl Shower' u were referring to? If so, thanks!

Duckizz: nice meeting u. Congratz once again for your 2nd-prize win!

yeah I submitted the pregnant tummy shot. Quite disappointed with the organising, but at least I learned something along the way.

wooohoo. It was fun but exhausting. My 1st try at a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrin
    yeah I submitted the pregnant tummy shot. Quite disappointed with the organising, but at least I learned something along the way.
    well i liked that shot, so you got my vote man.

Quote Originally Posted by duckizz
    oh where did u find this ah meng ah ?
    eh outside the zoo... big big one.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3678910 ... LastLast