Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Marathon Contest 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Will03
    btw.. alot of us really love your this shot............... really good...
    hee...... thanks.........

I thought that the organizers did a bad job of handling the end of the event, especially the announcement of winners and prize giving. They just posted the winners of the 2nd session at the entrance with no explanation and at the end at 9:45pm for the announcement of the 3rd assignment winners they just blundered the whole thing. They decided to announce the top 30 shortlisted entries eligible for the grand prize first. So immediately after the top 30 were revealed, about 1/2 of the participants walked out. Then they decided to announce the 3rd assignment winners. After which about 1/2 of the remaining contestants left the building. So there were hardly anyone left for the actual prize giving. So amateurish. Can you imagine if they ran Miss Universe or some other contest that way? And in first place is Miss Italy, but please hold your applause as we announce the first and second runner up before we crown her.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    This was my entry for the 1st theme. The other 2 entries for the other 2 themes not worth showing.

Although this pic didn't win any prize, it is now in the top 30 to vie for the grand prize. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats to Will03 and Anthony (sorry don't know your nick) for winning the merit prizes for the 3rd theme 'Singapore Idol'! Will, I love your 'sun' microphone! Very creative!

good one. expected it to be theme winner but... good luck for the grand prize

congrats to all the winners!
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Congrats ... .. care to share the picture ??
    this is mine...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Tzuen
    I thought that the organizers did a bad job of handling the end of the event, especially the announcement of winners and prize giving. They just posted the winners of the 2nd session at the entrance with no explanation and at the end at 9:45pm for the announcement of the 3rd assignment winners they just blundered the whole thing. They decided to announce the top 30 shortlisted entries eligible for the grand prize first. So immediately after the top 30 were revealed, about 1/2 of the participants walked out. Then they decided to announce the 3rd assignment winners. After which about 1/2 of the remaining contestants left the building. So there were hardly anyone left for the actual prize giving. So amateurish. Can you imagine if they ran Miss Universe or some other contest that way? And in first place is Miss Italy, but please hold your applause as we announce the first and second runner up before we crown her.
    Hehe... I left at 9 sharp... gave up waiting to see the award winning entries. Pretty poor planning and decision making for the 3rd announcement of the winners.

Most unorganised thing I felt were the themes. Oh well... had an enjoyable day yesterday. Guess it's still the process that counts

I agreed... Even though 1/2 of the participates left... I stayed on to listen why were photos selected... In the end, no explaination was given. I was upset and disappointed wif the organiser.

However, it's really good experience for me... since it's my 1st time take part in this event.

Congrats to Will03 and Anthony (sorry don't know your nick) for winning the merit prizes for the 3rd theme 'Singapore Idol'! Will, I love your 'sun' microphone! Very creative!
    'sun' microphone! i thought it's the 'middle finger'.
    Nikon D5000, D70; Nikon 18-55, 18-70, 70-300; Sigma 18-250, 50-500.

Quote Originally Posted by coldman
    Strange, I was thinking that it was the Goddess of Mercy Guanyin with a ball of light at the tip of her fingers, even though I am not her worshipper.

I agree with you. But I think it wasn't nice of the participants to leave early also, especially when we had a guest visitor for this event. But this is typical behaviour of Singaporeans.
    Btw, I stayed till the end.

This was my entry for the 1st theme. The other 2 entries for the other 2 themes not worth showing.

Although this pic didn't win any prize, it is now in the top 30 to vie for the grand prize. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Frankly speaking, me and my friends were convinced that this entry should have won the top prize... maybe the judges were not looking for good shots..

Quote Originally Posted by kiama
    good one. expected it to be theme winner but... good luck for the grand prize
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coldman
    Wah lau, your middle finger so fat one huh???

Anyway, overall I thought the event was very challenging. No matter what themes they give, I think it's all up to the photographer to come up with refreshing views to shoot. Even if we were to shoot at only a particular spot, some will still be able to come up with good ideas. Although I felt that there were way too many snapshot submissions, there were quite a number of refreshing shots. Overall, we should take this event as a motivation to make us improve as photographers.

I would put it this way, the whole process is just for fun. If you are talking about serious photogrpahy work, the answer is no! Not everyone will be able to get quality work from a few hours of shoot (It really depends on your luck). Even caption is excluded for the submission. Anyway, there are a few pretty good shots taken by some, but the rest, you know the answer.

Default my 1st marathon.....

lucky me. here was my contribution. my other 2 werent tat fantastic either.

fello was a painter from hk. opens a car garage for a living there. came to sg to accompany wife who was giving a lecture (wife's a prof in HK city uni)

anyhoo...marathon is kinda fun.

Quote Originally Posted by duckizz
    lucky me. here was my contribution. my other 2 werent tat fantastic either.

fello was a painter from hk. opens a car garage for a living there. came to sg to accompany wife who was giving a lecture (wife's a prof in HK city uni)

anyhoo...marathon is kinda fun.

I thought this shot was FANTASTIC. Excellent concept.

I liked this shot very much and felt that it should have been the winning entry for the first assignment.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by kjmedora
    Frankly speaking, me and my friends were convinced that this entry should have won the top prize... maybe the judges were not looking for good shots..
    1 Photographer, 3 non-photographers were the judges... pretty self explanatory.. Hehe...

Well, eric, you should have won the first prize... but oh well easy come easy go, 2nd's better than none

Default My Submission

Hey all, this was my shortlisted photo (under the "My World" category). Yes, am hoping that I would win the 20D too! Heh. But I suspect no such luck. All in all, it was a rather fun event, although am inclined to agree that the organisers organisation was a little hapazard towards the end.

Last edited by valska; 17th October 2004 at 02:28 PM.

Deregistered

A little haphazard towards the end? Don't think so, seemed like the themes weren't enough pre-planned, it was pretty much conjured up on the spot.

They dragged the slide out of the projection screen edited the theme and put it back in again... goes to show it was pretty much on the spot thingie, for security? For fairness? Hmmm...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast