Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 299

Thread: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

  1. #201
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    This is definitely not true. Disc brakes offer better modulation (feel) and I don't see why disc brakes pose any danger over more common V-brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse00 View Post
    I am thinking of getting a trek dual sport with a disc brake or the FX, which fits my budget. Does disc brakes have a lesser braking effect? I thought it is the other way round??
    I am not saying one type of braking system is inferior to another. I am saying for using on bikes for road use, when you can hit 30-40kmph on a straight. E-braking on disc brakes may have a higher risk of the bike flipping. To use disc brakes or V-brakes is really horses for courses. I am just raising a yellow flag of caution.

  2. #202
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I am not saying one type of braking system is inferior to another. I am saying for using on bikes for road use, when you can hit 30-40kmph on a straight. E-braking on disc brakes may have a higher risk of the bike flipping. To use disc brakes or V-brakes is really horses for courses. I am just raising a yellow flag of caution.
    One can just as easily endo (flying unexpectedly over the handlebars) using V-brakes as much as disc brakes. I have experienced this personally many years ago. If disc brakes are that risky, perhaps you should ask why Italian brand Colnago is offering their flagship C59 road bike in a disc brake version.

    If you know little about disc brakes, don't make presumptive statements with little basis of fact.

  3. #203

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    All things equal, if you look at the point of application of force on the wheels, the stopping torque by disc brakes is smaller than the stopping torque of V brakes. This translates to better modulation.

    There is no advantage of mechanical disc brakes over mechanical V brakes because of cable stretch. However if hydraulic disc brakes are used then cable stretch is eliminated.

    Flipping over the bars/endoing/faceplanting happens because of bad braking technique. You are not supposed to grab the brake levers and hold as tight as you can. In the event you need to jam brake, never just apply the front brakes alone. If need be, stand up and shift your weight back. Best is you tap to gradually bring your speed down. This also prevents discs from excessive heating.

    That said, i personally prefer good Vs to screwed up discs anyday. Vs used to be generally lighter than disc setups. I've seen mtbs below 9kg. They were almost always specced with Vs to bring the weight down.

  4. #204
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    one will flip given the right conditions regardless if they are using regular side pull road brakes, center pulls, cantilevers, V's or Disc brakes

    Discs are heavy and wheels are dished but the wheels stay cooler and best point for me is ..... you can remove the ENTIRE brake line from Levers, Cables and calipers and plug and play it on another bike with similar sized rotors lmost immediately
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #205
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post

    One can just as easily endo (flying unexpectedly over the handlebars) using V-brakes as much as disc brakes. I have experienced this personally many years ago. If disc brakes are that risky, perhaps you should ask why Italian brand Colnago is offering their flagship C59 road bike in a disc brake version.

    If you know little about disc brakes, don't make presumptive statements with little basis of fact.
    This info I got from the sales person in 2 different shops selling high end bikes when I quizzed them why their racing bikes do not come with disc brakes. I would assume they know their stuff they are selling.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 30th January 2013 at 03:29 PM.

  6. #206
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  7. #207

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    heard from stomp : eyewitness on bus saw the driver hit the man, continue driving, then stop, then alight, then light a ciggy and smoke. totally bo chap....

    and the poor man was not even riding, he was pushing his bike and obey the traffic regulation.


    i also always ride on road, dont really worry about the cars behind me. but nowadays more and more this kind of irresponsible drivers...
    Last edited by ninelives; 19th February 2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Objection !!!

  8. #208

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    This info I got from the sales person in 2 different shops selling high end bikes when I quizzed them why their racing bikes do not come with disc brakes. I would assume they know their stuff they are selling.
    Road racing bicycles do not use disc brakes as the speed they are travelling will overheat the small rotors. Rim brakes cool faster than disc brakes. The same reason why you see motorbike roadsters have 2 huge disc brake rotors for their front wheel.

  9. #209
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    An interesting clip on the blind spots of a trailer when it makes the beginning of a turn.

    Last edited by ManWearPants; 1st March 2013 at 11:38 PM.

  10. #210
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenDown View Post
    Road racing bicycles do not use disc brakes as the speed they are travelling will overheat the small rotors. Rim brakes cool faster than disc brakes. The same reason why you see motorbike roadsters have 2 huge disc brake rotors for their front wheel.
    Hello. I don't think that's the correct reason why road bikes do not use disc brakes. It's more because of the stopping power of disc brakes, and how we'd endo if we used those.

  11. #211
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenDown View Post
    Road racing bicycles do not use disc brakes as the speed they are travelling will overheat the small rotors. Rim brakes cool faster than disc brakes. The same reason why you see motorbike roadsters have 2 huge disc brake rotors for their front wheel.
    ??? i think the logic is the other way around for heat dissipation . heat build up using regular road/v brakes can cause the rim on long descents to get really hot which is not good while disc brakes address this problem at the disc rotors so that the brakes run cooler

    most rims today are made of various alloys , carbons , aluminium which have poor heat dissipating properties
    and notice why disc brake rotors are mostly made of good old heavy steel instead of some super lightweight material ? better heat dissipating properties and overall strength

    stay safe on the road all'
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  12. #212

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    long descend on rim brakes, sometimes will cause flat tires due to the heat generated.

    imo, roadies do not need disc brakes due to the following reasons:

    1) difference in terrain where they operate, roadies mostly do not need the disc brake modulation and power which is essential to their mtb counterpart.
    2) weight issues, disc brakes add a whole load of weight to the bike. keep it light to accelerate and go faster.

    i may be wrong but these are the few points which i observed from my cycling time.

  13. #213

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Reason road bike don't use disk brake is to keep the weight to the minimum. Disk brake are heavier than v brake cause it got more parts.

  14. #214

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  15. #215

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II



    Nice to see dedicated storage points for bikes at work.. Asia Square Tower One..
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  16. #216
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    hee hee .... my humble new ride, a steel Fuji Touring . Very relaxed frame geometry

    New toy made my hands very itchy last few weeks:
    - swapped out the stem from 100mm straight to a 90mm +17deg stem for a more upright position
    - swapped out the saddle for a Brooks B17
    - swapped out the platform pedals for a pair of XT M785 SPD pedals
    - swapped out the rack for a larger Topeak Super Tourist rack
    - installed a wireless Cateye Strada bike computer



    Last edited by ed9119; 6th June 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  17. #217
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    hee hee .... my humble new ride, a steel Fuji Touring . Very relaxed frame geometry

    New toy made my hands very itchy last few weeks:
    - swapped out the stem from 100mm straight to a 90mm +17deg stem for a more upright position
    - swapped out the saddle for a Brooks B17
    - swapped out the platform pedals for a pair of XT M785 SPD pedals
    - swapped out the rack for a larger Topeak Super Tourist rack
    - installed a wireless Cateye Strada bike computer
    Looks old school frame... Cool
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  18. #218
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  19. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    hee hee .... my humble new ride, a steel Fuji Touring . Very relaxed frame geometry

    New toy made my hands very itchy last few weeks:
    - swapped out the stem from 100mm straight to a 90mm +17deg stem for a more upright position
    - swapped out the saddle for a Brooks B17
    - swapped out the platform pedals for a pair of XT M785 SPD pedals
    - swapped out the rack for a larger Topeak Super Tourist rack
    - installed a wireless Cateye Strada bike computer



    Nice! How much did this project cost? U got the frame locally?

  20. #220
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: CS bicycles and cyclist thread II

    BYX Bikes at River Valley shipped it in for me....90% stock except for the SPD pedals , Brooks saddle and 3T stem (90mm 16% angled ) for fit purposes
    All-in about 12+kg with rack + trunk bag ... not light but its a really comfortable and nippy ride

    Its cro-moly steel , about $1240 nett to bring in
    Last edited by ed9119; 16th June 2013 at 09:35 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •