Thread: How often do you maintain your gear?

Default How often do you maintain your gear?

hmm.. as per stated in the title..how often u guys maintain your gear? not referring to lens fliter or front element..but rather the lenses and camera body.

Do u guys maintain it at all? for example..we go shooting under the sun and etc..sometimes our hand do sweat alittle..so how u guys maintain them? and how often?

Default Re: How often do you maintain your gear?

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    hmm.. as per stated in the title..how often u guys maintain your gear? not referring to lens fliter or front element..but rather the lenses and camera body.

Do u guys maintain it at all? for example..we go shooting under the sun and etc..sometimes our hand do sweat alittle..so how u guys maintain them? and how often?
    I clean my gears after every shoot.
    If its after a hot day's shoot, I'll just wipe the camera, lens & flash with a soft lightly damp cloth & leave it to air dry for awhile before keeping them in the drycab
    Take the shot!

erm... never.. haha!

i take the filters out and wash them under the tap every once in awhile. use warm water and mama lemon then blow dry (hoya actually recommends soap and water over alcohol based cleaners). and will rinse out my gear if they get into salt water but no normal/routine cleaning
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I clean my gears after every shoot.
    If its after a hot day's shoot, I'll just wipe the camera, lens & flash with a soft lightly damp cloth & leave it to air dry for awhile before keeping them in the drycab
    oh.. its ok to use a damp cloth? wont the water go in or something...?

oh.. its ok to use a damp cloth? wont the water go in or something...?
    Not dripping wet cloth. Squeeze the cloth real real dry & wipe gently
    Take the shot!

Usually, I just blow off any dust on my lenses and filters after every shoot. Sometimes, i will wipe my equipments with a damp cloth.

I usually just wipe them with a dry cloth to get rid of any dust. If they are damp/wet, I will make sure I wipe them dry. As for filters and lenses, I will blow them if there are dusts on them. I would not wipe the lenses unless there marks on them.

For normal shoots, I'll just blow/brush off the dust
    If it was a sweaty shoot / shoot near the beach (lots of salt), I'll wipe it down with a damp cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Not dripping wet cloth. Squeeze the cloth real real dry & wipe gently
    lol yea i know the meaning of damp.. lol.

lol yea i know the meaning of damp.. lol.
    Good for you.........................
    Take the shot!

speaking of this.. i just noticed alot of "black specks" when i took pictures of skies/walls to test my lens.. i thought it was some sort of fungus or something.. scared the **** out of me.. i did a blow job to the sensor though and the spots disappeared. haha

if you set to f16 and above and shoot ur lens at a wall/sky , and u see black specks.. means its time for u to clean ur lenses/sensor haha...
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

I only use blower and brush to remove dust on the body and lens. Unless there are some water marks than will use lightly wet cotton bud and cloth to wipe it clean.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ang View Post
    erm... never.. haha!

i take the filters out and wash them under the tap every once in awhile. use warm water and mama lemon then blow dry (hoya actually recommends soap and water over alcohol based cleaners). and will rinse out my gear if they get into salt water but no normal/routine cleaning
    Mama Lemon also can ah? I thought they recommend using the liquid that comes with the cleaning kit.

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    Mama Lemon also can ah? I thought they recommend using the liquid that comes with the cleaning kit.
    erm.. surprisingly, Hoya's website says soap and warm water is better as alcohol solvents may damage the coating.. the Pro 1D filters are a pain to clean with alcohol anyway.. always has some stains.. but with mama lemon not a single spot =)
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

depends what you use for. For me as a professional sports photographer, i send in mine for service center cleaning quite frequently since the cost of it is already a part of my operating cost.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

i'll just use a damp cloth n wipe my gear before storing them away after a shoot for the entire day. as for the filters i will use a blower to blow the dust away n a lenspen to remove smudges.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.